Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Impressions from those who have installed the update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we have the thread for everyone whining or excited that they didn't/did get the update, so this thread is JUST for impressions!

So here goes!

1.) HW3 owners - the backup camera is still frame-y, which is a bummer. I was hoping they'd have smoothed it out for V10 so it at least matches HW2.5 owners in terms of frame-rate.

2.) Netflix and YouTube are awesome. You can log in to both, and the ambient lights turn off at night when the show starts. Super awesome.

3.) iOS 13 iPhones etc do indeed show their own artwork. I had a few albums that show no artwork on V9 Tesla software. Boom, the phone is now transferring its own over Bluetooth.

4.) Smart Summon is mindblowingly awesome and absolutely going to annoy the living heck out of a lot of drivers. It's very cautious - SUPER cautious... which is great, because rather too much than too little, right? But it will stop and think for what feels like an eternity if things aren't quite "right", for reasons unknown. Also, it draws a crowd. Even at 9:30pm at a quiet grocery store in Seattle. It's the future, and it's only going to get better.

5.) The Vent Windows feature is awesome, though I wish you could customize how open the windows get. I'm not sure I need all four windows open as much as they do, but this is a great start. If you left the window/s fully down, you can close them, too. If ANY window is down, the control will say "Close," so you'll always know.

6.) For the Early Access Program users, there had been a 50GB limit in the Tesla VIN/Odometer page, but in the public release there's no such limit of any sort. I was able to watch YouTube etc no problem over LTE. Not sure how long that will last.

Anyway, those are my first impressions. This is a phenomenal update.
First thing I noticed is that my singing voice isn't that great , nether is my partners but we can still belt out shake it off ..enhanced summon hasn't worked well for us but we also live in DC so our parking pad and every parking spot is tight or busy with pedestrians crossing , makes me want to visit Montana to see how things work.

question for the group , my husbands profile always keeps or folds the windows upon parking to our tight parking pad for the past two weeks , new feature ??? Or big we have a tight space which it's helpful in but sad can't control it

• Funny
Reactions: whatthe2
First thing I noticed is that my singing voice isn't that great , nether is my partners but we can still belt out shake it off ..enhanced summon hasn't worked well for us but we also live in DC so our parking pad and every parking spot is tight or busy with pedestrians crossing , makes me want to visit Montana to see how things work.

question for the group , my husbands profile always keeps or folds the windows upon parking to our tight parking pad for the past two weeks , new feature ??? Or big we have a tight space which it's helpful in but sad can't control it
I resigned myself long ago that I am tone deaf. :(

Assume you mean mirror, not windows folding. I didn't notice any difference in that behavior in v10. Mine only fold when I park or use R.

Although I have only used it once I’m impressed with Smart Summon so far. My wife and I just finished dinner at Zinburger and I wanted to test it out. Used the come to me feature and my car navigated the parking lot quite well. I was laughing the entire time because of how crazy it is to see for the first time. My wife was not as amused as me, haha. Car made two pauses that didn’t make much sense to me but it got to me in a decent amount of time. It will be very interesting how much better this is 6-12 months from now.

Balls - you have 'em. Not sure which Zinburger you were at, but they're always busy parking lots. Just used my Smart Summon for the first time and dang - it was smooth. I mean, really, really smooth. SUPER impressed.

I also found while driving with Autopilot that the braking is MUCH gentler around curves and such. One spot where it's usually a bit jarring today was nice and smooth. V10 is the real deal. Very impressed. This is the first "major" update I've been through and... wow. This car is evolving so fast; it's pretty incredible stuff. And so much more on the immediate horizon. Starting to get pumped for HW3.

BTW - Kobe, with bacon, smoked mozz and braised onions is my goto. I'm a few minutes from the Morris Plains location, and spend more time there than one should. :)

Haven't had a chance to drive the car after updating but played with some new features in the garage. I have to say Caraoke brought a smile to my face like few things have recently as I got to belt out some of my favorite 90s hits.

Netflix - it's true, the sound really is amazing. I don't think I'll be able to convince the wife to watch with me in the car but for all the shows I binge without her, I may have found a new place to view them! If a year ago you'd have told me, "You're going to want to watch TV shows/movies in the car" I'd have snorted out my coffee at you. It's not that I didn't think Netflix would come to the car, it's that I never would have expected the experience to be quite this good.

YouTube also works fairly well.

Sad to report regular Summon still can't make it fully out of my garage (13% slope downwards from the level garage). It didn't look like Smart Summon/Come to Me would fare any better as it was calculating a bizarre, zig-zagged path instead of just backing 15 ft straight out (no I didn't actually try it). This is disappointing as I had really hoped Summon would work by now with this relatively simple use case.

I look forward to trying NoA tomorrow and experiencing Joe Mode and all the new visualizations.

Balls - you have 'em. Not sure which Zinburger you were at, but they're always busy parking lots. Just used my Smart Summon for the first time and dang - it was smooth. I mean, really, really smooth. SUPER impressed.

I also found while driving with Autopilot that the braking is MUCH gentler around curves and such. One spot where it's usually a bit jarring today was nice and smooth. V10 is the real deal. Very impressed. This is the first "major" update I've been through and... wow. This car is evolving so fast; it's pretty incredible stuff. And so much more on the immediate horizon. Starting to get pumped for HW3.

BTW - Kobe, with bacon, smoked mozz and braised onions is my goto. I'm a few minutes from the Morris Plains location, and spend more time there than one should. :)

It was at the new location in Bridgewater. Parking lot didn’t have too much activity when I tested it. I certainly don’t have the balls yet to try it in a moderately busy lot.

This time I tried the burger of the week at Zinburger, the Oktoberfest burger. It was good but too heavy for me to finish the whole thing. Probably didn’t help that my appetizer was their amazing panko covered mac and cheese :D

Going back to V10, the Netflix experience is really nice. Just about as good as when I browse / view Netflix on my PS4.

I had been paying for Slacker premium but cancelled that as soon as I signed up for Spotify instead. I’m new to Spotify but I can already tell after playing around with it in my car for just 20 minutes that it’s 10x better than Slacker. Music selection and variety are orders of magnitude beyond Slacker. I’m a bit confused as to why there seems to be no way to add stuff from Spotify to the favorites list in the car. I also tried voice searches of a few songs but sadly they didn’t play right away. It just brought up the search screen and I had to manually select the song from the search results, but when I did that at least it was playing from Spotify and not Slacker. I’ll have to play around with it more tomorrow.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Smart Summon initial impression
Tested at:
Empty corner of a Costco parking lot (late night, well lit)
Parked: End of a row, normally parked within a spot. No cars within about 10 spaces or so (All around).
Standing: Past the opposite end of the parking row, and around the corner (still within eyesight)

The first move it made after waking up was to pull a big sweeping u-turn right where there would normally be parked cars (First laugh moment), instead of backing out of the spot. Then, it nearly clipped a shopping cart corral (First butthole pucker moment), but I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and it cleared it without issue. The rest of the summon was pretty uneventful, and I noticed it "Pauses for intersection" quite a lot, where "intersection" is broadly defined. One other thing I noticed is that turn signals were never activated. Perhaps it was just because there was no traffic around (hopefully).

Fun to observe in an empty lot, but I'm not ready to try this $60k RC car experiment in the same Costco parking lot tomorrow afternoon (A Saturday :eek:). Big improvement over basic summon, for sure. I'm going out on a whim here, but it seems about as polished as Autopark. It'll get the car into the general desired area (most of the time), but there may be some turbulence along the way.

Last edited:
I finally got a drive with some autopilot tonight. I have some slightly different observations than others....
AP seems far more aggressive (too?) than before. This is a huge benefit for lane changes since they were so timid before. 100% improved for lane changes. My issue was with general steering. Curves seemed too quick and jerky. Non freeway road that I hit, first turn was too much and I had to override. Note: Wife was in the car and does not have much tolerance for imperfect AP, so my sensitivity was on high. I also noticed that a lane that I was in that merged from 2 lanes into 1 caused a few braking instances without any near vehicles. I also think thatiI noticed some very slight ping ponging on the freeway traveling at a fast clip... So, the new aggressiveness appears to have some consequences IMO. I will continue to evaluate, but I'm hoping that things smooth out for me.

By the way is anyone else getting no music and black screen for many caraoke songs?

One more impression:

Netflix frame-rate could be improved. It’s not quite smooth enough compared to watching on an iPad etc. It skips/drops frames quite a bit. Hopefully stuff like this gets ironed out as time goes by.

Has anyone figured out how to share media to the car? I tried sharing a YouTube video from my iPhone to the car and nothing happened.

Smart Summon didn't work for me, said I was on a public road when I was in a restaurant parking lot. So the mapping data must be incorrect for this place.

I'm disappointed that Tesla Theatre will not continue using LTE and will only be WiFi. I get it that Tesla just wanted everyone to try it out because it's going to take a while before the Supercharger stations get WiFi. Still would be nice to watch a movie if I was pulled over someplace taking a rest on a trip.