Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Loss of Range: 5% Range Loss in 2019 Model 3 After Install of V10 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious .. is this really lost range, or is this just the car reporting the actual range differently? After all, the assumption here is that the old (and new) range computations are the same. If they are not, then either the old or new range may have simply been misquoted (or both even).

The only way to really know, it seems to me, is to drive the car from full to empty with both old and new software releases.

Reactions: Lobstahz
It has been a few months since the last time my 3 was charged fully. My 3 has 25k miles.
The battery was charged to 100% with 309 miles on last Saturday
1. I drove over 100 miles early morning around 6 am and found the battery was draining fast than I have ever noticed. See the following screenshot at 100 miles: miles on battery reduced to 165 miles from 309 (144 miles usage) and average energy use is 315 wh/mi.
2. I took another screenshot at 100 miles when came back afternoon, miles reduced to 143 from 256 (113 miles battery usage, close to usual) and ave energy use is 251 wh/mi.
3. So for the same 100 miles almost at the same speed (~70MPH), the battery drain of the morning drive was 31mi more than the afternoon drive. it's 30% more battery drain. The only diff between the two 100 mi drives is that the outside temperature in the early morning was 10F lower and the battery start point 309mi vs 256mi

upload_2019-10-17_15-21-36.png

upload_2019-10-17_15-25-53.png

Strange...my range actually went up a bit since V10. I had been getting 217 to 218 at 90% charge but now I'm back up to 219 which is what it was 4 months ago. It will be interesting to see if it goes up to the 222 I was getting in January. Its always been steady at 219 until one of the updates 4 months ago.

I tend to stay in the 30-70% SoC range and haven't looked at my battery degradation report in a while. This thread prompted me to do so and sure enough, it looks like I lost a few percent in September. It looks like it was aligned with one of the last V9 updates my car received before going to V10 - 2019.32.1 specifically. Until this update, I was doing really well.
Battery-degradation-report-2019-10-30 171208.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
I tend to stay in the 30-70% SoC range and haven't looked at my battery degradation report in a while. This thread prompted me to do so and sure enough, it looks like I lost a few percent in September. It looks like it was aligned with one of the last V9 updates my car received before going to V10 - 2019.32.1 specifically. Until this update, I was doing really well.
View attachment 471634
For all the model 3 owners. Could this loss in range be from degradation? I haven't been following the model 3 forum but I probably should since were looking at getting one soon.

For all the model 3 owners. Could this loss in range be from degradation? I haven't been following the model 3 forum but I probably should since were looking at getting one soon.

Possibly. But it seems clear that the Tesla firmware devs messed with the capacity algo in one of the recent updates. So it’s not clear if it’s really degradation or just a different measuring stick.

In any case, my 3 that lost 5 miles is actually lower mileage than the one that did not lose any range.

Possibly. But it seems clear that the Tesla firmware devs messed with the capacity algo in one of the recent updates. So it’s not clear if it’s really degradation or just a different measuring stick.

In any case, my 3 that lost 5 miles is actually lower mileage than the one that did not lose any range.
Could it be coincidence that the range loss occurred after a certain update? I would hate think Tesla is lowering the range for no apparent reason although they dont exactly have a good track record with transparency or communication about these things.

I had an immediate difference after the last software update (2019 Model 3). I drive the same route each day and always charge the same amount at night (77%), but am now dropping about 5% lower at the end of the day. Similar to what others are saying.