Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Loss of Range: 5% Range Loss in 2019 Model 3 After Install of V10 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
260 extrapolates to 290 @ 100%. New was 310. So current deficit is 20. 20/310=0.64

it’s a bit more than I’d expect but not enough to freak out IMO
I'm not freaked out, but it does change one of my semi-frequent trips that has been very easy in the past. All the additional superchargers help and I usually drive 30 miles per day. But, I am on the disappointed side.

Reactions: JBT66
260 extrapolates to 290 @ 100%. New was 310. So current deficit is 20. 20/310=0.64

it’s a bit more than I’d expect but not enough to freak out IMO

Well remember that they increased the range to 330. I think it was in one of the V9 updates.

And given the fact that my LR still gets 291 at 90%, I think it’s safe to say that 260 at 90% is an 11% loss.

We’ve both been on TMC long enough to know that 11% loss in less than a year is far from normal.

Well remember that they increased the range to 330. I think it was in one of the V9 updates.

And given the fact that my LR still gets 291 at 90%, I think it’s safe to say that 260 at 90% is an 11% loss.

We’ve both been on TMC long enough to know that 11% loss in less than a year is far from normal.

Here’s the generic reply -

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support with our question about your cars range, I would be happy to provide further information on this. I have reviewed the remote diagnostics of your car and your battery and charging system are not reporting any errors. Your range estimates your car's range when charged will adjust throughout the life of your vehicle based on your driving habits and how the onboard systems are used, in addition to outside factors such as temperature and weather. This estimate will also be on the conservative side to help you not run out of range. If there is an issue with your charging or your battery your vehicle will alert you.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or if we can assist in any way.

I think the “range estimate will change based on driving style” is not true? I know range will vary, but I thought displayed range was straight measured/estimated battery capacity?

What does someone show for “ideal range” at 90%?

Of course... we are both experienced!

I'm very confused what car you have with 260@90 and what car with 290@90 you are comparing it to. Maybe the details are in upstream post I missed. It was my understanding that increase to 325ish was only for RWD, not for dual motor long range and P. That remained 310. Which by itself is unrealistic from the start, as P SHOULD be lower, especially those with non aero wheels.

Mine is a 1 year old LR dual motor P (aero wheels). When I got it, 100% was 310. I seldom charge to 100%, but right now 90% is 260ish like one of yours. That does not bother me yet, as for me it is ~6% less than when new.

Let’s see if we can clear up some of the confusion.

My primary car is a LR RWD and gets 291 at 90%.

@brkaus reports that he is getting 260 at 90% in a LR 3. I’m not sure if his is RWD or AWD. If AWD, then the theoretical Max is 322 miles. Still even if comparing to this, 260 represents a 10% loss - quite excessive.

Wheel type doesn’t come into the calculation. Even with the S, changing the wheel config from 19 to 21 did not affect rated range. Of course it affects efficiency but this is not in the calculation.

Let’s see if we can clear up some of the confusion.

My primary car is a LR RWD and gets 291 at 90%.

@brkaus reports that he is getting 260 at 90% in a LR 3. I’m not sure if his is RWD or AWD. If AWD, then the theoretical Max is 322 miles. Still even if comparing to this, 260 represents a 10% loss - quite excessive.

Wheel type doesn’t come into the calculation. Even with the S, changing the wheel config from 19 to 21 did not affect rated range. Of course it affects efficiency but this is not in the calculation.
lets get the facts on his car.

I really think you guys are comparing apples and oranges. The range estimated value takes into account what I call the 3 T's
Temperature
Terrain
Tempo (Speed and acceleration)
Just like the response from Tesla suggests.
When my wife drives the Tesla for some time (week+) the estimated range goes up. She drives slower avg speeds 30-40 mph, she drives more middle of the day when its warmer I leave at 5:30 so even if keep the climate control set lower the car needs to warm the battery more. I drive to an area where the altitude changes more.
We swap 1week on 1 week off due to watching milage on leases.
I'm new to the Tesla 4 months but it's pretty obvious and basic logic.
Our other car a Volt which we have been driving since 2012 3 different leases. They do the same and they also have a screen on the infotainment screen that rates you and those same 3 items with a score.
I also have a theory that after a major software update you car loses any prior knowledge of your habits and reverts back to a standard calculation. Causing some to see a perceived reduction or in some cases increase. Couple that with a late fall update and colder ambient temps you have the potential for misunderstanding how the range is calculated.

I really think you guys are comparing apples and oranges. The range estimated value takes into account what I call the 3 T's
Temperature
Terrain
When my wife drives the Tesla for some time (week+) the estimated range goes up. She drives slower avg speeds 30-40 mph, she drives more middle of the day when its warmer I leave at 5:30 so even if keep the climate control set lower the car needs to warm the battery more. I drive to an area where the altitude changes more.
Our other car a Volt which we have been driving since 2012 3 different leases. They do the same and they also have a screen on the infotainment screen that rates you and those same 3 items with a score.
I also have a theory that after a major software update you car loses any prior knowledge of your habits and reverts back to a standard calculation. Causing some to see a perceived reduction or in some cases increase. Couple that with a late fall update and colder ambient temps you have the potential for misunderstanding how the range is calculated.

This is not accurate according to Tesla. Strictly based on EPA consumption. My average wh/mile is at 246 for lr awd performance (18” wheels) which is consistent since the day I bought it so driving style changes doesn’t make sense either.

Why is my displayed estimated range decreasing faster than miles driven?
The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app.

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for range to decrease slightly over the first few months but then begin to level off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge depending on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you if a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.

• Love
Reactions: brkaus
This is not accurate according to Tesla. Strictly based on EPA consumption. My average wh/mile is at 246 for lr awd performance (18” wheels) which is consistent since the day I bought it so driving style changes doesn’t make sense either.

Why is my displayed estimated range decreasing faster than miles driven?
The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app.

After charging is completed, why is the estimated range less than expected?
It is normal for range to decrease slightly over the first few months but then begin to level off. Over time, you may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full charge depending on factors such as Supercharging regularly or the mileage and age of the battery. Your Tesla will inform you if a hardware issue is causing excessive battery or range degradation.
Ok you have your opinion I have mine. Moving on.

Temperature
Terrain

The rated range displayed can certainly be affected by temperature. But it is definitely not affected by terrain or tempo as you suggest. This has been disproven a number of times.

The rated range displayed can certainly be affected by temperature. But it is definitely not affected by terrain or tempo as you suggest. This has been disproven a number of times.
there's nothing needed to "prove" anyway! Those quotes are direct from Tesla's support site. Here's another one from that same page:

The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range.

Reactions: McMoo