Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isnt that a sign that the eMMC is about to die?
I am not sure it has anything to do with EMMC death. It seems like especially right after an update and right after rebooting, MCUv1 has gotten very slow after v10. And in that situation it is easy to do one more thing (like loading a Spotify playlist, navigating to a distant destination) that brings MCU1 to its knees and it’ll thrash so much that it doesn’t make forward progress on anything you asked it to do.

20FD7FA8-DC33-4FC4-89C1-F020EE221B15.jpeg
Just downloaded another update.
32.12.3. Tess is still unpacking the update. I’ll have her install it tonight.

Hardware too old to do video?

Internet claim that you can't trust, but is true : I happen to be an expert at embedded video processing for the past 20 years and have kept up to date on low level chip architecture including NVidia and Intel.

What follows is some detail that might show you why Tesla aren't trying to deliberately make you upset, rather, there are very obvious technical reasons for what features are available and why.

Computers were able to play video just fine 20 years ago...

Computers 20 years ago didn't have to decode MPEG High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265) and the other modern formats that YouTube and Netflix use to highly compress and encrypt their offerings.

Side note : Netflix and YouTube are required in the contracts with their content partners (Disney and other owners of the rights of the movies/content) to secure the decryption of the content as close to the display unit (MCU in this case) as possible, which itself can be computationally intensive for the size of the data stream (high definition video is many Mb/s).

Due to these requirements, Tesla would be building their video support using third party developed capabilities that ship within well vetted environments, which in the case of the video playback is the built in browser. The browser itself also had to inherit from the proprietary patented decode logic (MPEG) using available libraries from the original content vendor (Netflix, YouTube movies) that require modern hardware acceleration.

Fact : MCU1 uses an embedded NVidia architecture that was designed in a world before 1080p content encrypted video. A 10 year old embedded Linux-based laptop would be hard pressed to play such video, I'm not talking of the dual core general purpose business $3K laptops, I'm talking about the embedded chips sold by NVidia and Intel in the less expensive low power usage devices at that time.

Tesla MCU1 and MCU2: main differences

MCU2 browser is Chromium based and MCU1’s is not. That means a faster browser, and it can also render video with sound

Tegra - Wikipedia

MCU1 is a 2011 hardware platform, where some of the chips (Tegra 3) design predated to 2009.

In 2013, Tegra 4 was released oriented around video:

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/_gallery/download_pdf/5448190ff6091d2735000092/

• 12-core GeForce GPU, with 3x the graphics performance of the Tegra 2 processor, including support for stereoscopic 3D • New video engines with support for 1080p high profile video at 40 Mbps

I'm in Europe where I show the car to many people for which this is the first time in a Tesla. At the beginning they were pretty amazed by the screen. Now they see a laggy UI with yellow borders, and glitchy audio. I'm not sure this promotes the product so well.
I'm actually embarrassed to show people inside the car now (because of the yellow border), I'm embarrassed to take people for a ride (because of the rattles and groaning brakes). I used to make excuses for Tesla but now I just tell it like it really is, to which most people are surprised to hear negative feedback.

I'm actually embarrassed to show people inside the car now (because of the yellow border), I used to make excuses for Tesla but now I just tell it like it really is, to which most people are surprised to hear negative feedback.

Our old 2013 Tesla S still has a quick UI which blows people away when they see it.
Not sure what you demonstrate to them... but just the mapping system alone, along with the easy ability to enter locations is a massive leap from most non-Tesla systems.

Our old 2013 Tesla S still has a quick UI which blows people away when they see it.
Not sure what you demonstrate to them
Pinch to zoom out when the nav map is full screen can take a good 5 seconds to render the update.
I've had the MCU totally lock up when showing people Spotify (several times).

Given yours is an early build you don't have the ugly yellow border on the screen, when people hop my car they ask what is wrong with the screen. I would say oh they had a bad batch of screens, I just need to take it in to get it swapped over for a new one. Well that was a year ago and there is still no fix in sight (where I am), so now I just tell people the screen is junk and the company has been dragging their heels avoiding fixing the problem for over a year. Perhaps Elon's streamlined cost cutting service changes didn't ever take in to consideration the effects of p***ed off customers spreading the word on how things run at Tesla.

Pinch to zoom out when the nav map is full screen can take a good 5 seconds to render the update

Normally slow render on map is due to the network bandwidth required to request/transmit the image tiles that come from google.

Solutions:

Turn off satellite view.
Upgrade to MCU1 4g (was $500 at a service center, not sure of current price for this upgrade or indeed if still offered).

Personally, I use a 4g phone hotspot if the 3g network I am in is slow (can't load next song, or map tiles refresh slowly). As 4g becomes pervasive, the 3g cell network will degrade as the number of devices connecting over 3g is smaller, and the companies that provide cell service prioritize 4g and above hardware and maintenance. This is happening in Ontario Canada for me. It's not Tesla's fault, they are just a client of the local 3g cell network provided through their roaming agreements.

Normally slow render on map is due to the network bandwidth required to request/transmit the image tiles that come from google.

Solutions:

Turn off satellite view.
Upgrade to MCU1 4g (was $500 at a service center, not sure of current price for this upgrade or indeed if still offered).

Personally, I use a 4g phone hotspot if the 3g network I am in is slow (can't load next song, or map tiles refresh slowly). As 4g becomes pervasive, the 3g cell network will degrade as the number of devices connecting over 3g is smaller, and the companies that provide cell service prioritize 4g and above hardware and maintenance. This is happening in Ontario Canada for me. It's not Tesla's fault, they are just a client of the local 3g cell network provided through their roaming agreements.
Lol I've noticed that with other devices as well, even in California. 3G used to be able to load websites at a relatively fast pace but in many cases it's now as bad as EDGE used to be.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Happens when the car is on the home WiFi as well (which I have a 150mbps internet connection at home), full bars on the WiFi signal in the Tesla. I am not using satellite mode, this is just the usual map view.
I will however try the 4G hotspot from my phone as a test.

Pinch to zoom out when the nav map is full screen can take a good 5 seconds to render the update.
I've had the MCU totally lock up when showing people Spotify (several times).

Given yours is an early build you don't have the ugly yellow border on the screen, when people hop my car they ask what is wrong with the screen. I would say oh they had a bad batch of screens, I just need to take it in to get it swapped over for a new one. Well that was a year ago and there is still no fix in sight (where I am), so now I just tell people the screen is junk and the company has been dragging their heels avoiding fixing the problem for over a year. Perhaps Elon's streamlined cost cutting service changes didn't ever take in to consideration the effects of p***ed off customers spreading the word on how things run at Tesla.
Hi you will be happy to know that just this week our service centre received the tool to fix the yellow lines, I had my car (mcu2) done on Tuesday and my brother had his (mcu1) done today. Both cars screens look like new now. The tool has a UV light that is focused onto the screen for an hour or more I believe and then they need some time to let it cool, they will have your car for half a day. Great result! Hope this helps

So do we think its possible Tesla will come up with a Netflix, YouTube solution for MCU1?, I'm currently in an MCU2 S but considering buying another MCU1 car.
I've been watching alot of Netflix at the supercharger, kind of frustrating in portrait mode but I found that you can pinch, zoom and drag the video, move it to near top of screen and enlarge the video by cropping meaning you're watching more like a 4:3 aspect ratio taking up the top half of the screen on S and X. These cars need to move to Landscape screen asap.

So do we think its possible Tesla will come up with a Netflix, YouTube solution for MCU1?, I'm currently in an MCU2 S but considering buying another MCU1 car.
I've been watching alot of Netflix at the supercharger, kind of frustrating in portrait mode but I found that you can pinch, zoom and drag the video, move it to near top of screen and enlarge the video by cropping meaning you're watching more like a 4:3 aspect ratio taking up the top half of the screen on S and X. These cars need to move to Landscape screen asap.

No. Unfortunately I highly doubt it. :(

I have a MCU1 LTE, and satellite mode is much faster than map. The problem is not bandwidth, it is rendering the vector maps which is cpu intensive (and probably not optimized)

I also had the LTE upgrade here in the UK , it has helped with music streaming but not much with maps . It still sometimes takes too long to plan a route.

I got the screen mirroring kit last week , since set up a Chromecast in the glove box with a 4g hotspot . Solved all my issues for navigation and entertainment.