Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also had the LTE upgrade here in the UK , it has helped with music streaming but not much with maps . It still sometimes takes too long to plan a route.

I got the screen mirroring kit last week , since set up a Chromecast in the glove box with a 4g hotspot . Solved all my issues for navigation and entertainment.

Which mirroring kit did you get and did you fit it yourself?

So my browser and by extension release notes and owner's manual have been white screening for several versions prior to v10 through 2019.32.12.1. I scheduled a mobile service visit to come take a look. To my surprise, 12.2 restored the browser to it's slow crappy self and I was about to cancel the appointment when I got 12.3 on 10/23 and totally broke the browser again. It may not be related, but I noticed my LTE connection dropping and reconnecting every few minutes.

The mobile tech arrived today, unplugged and replugged the 12v battery and that seemed to solve the LTE connectivity. Also the browser appears to work again. Albeit slow and crappy as "expected".

• Informative
Reactions: David29
So my browser and by extension release notes and owner's manual have been white screening for several versions prior to v10 through 2019.32.12.1. I scheduled a mobile service visit to come take a look. To my surprise, 12.2 restored the browser to it's slow crappy self and I was about to cancel the appointment when I got 12.3 on 10/23 and totally broke the browser again. It may not be related, but I noticed my LTE connection dropping and reconnecting every few minutes.

The mobile tech arrived today, unplugged and replugged the 12v battery and that seemed to solve the LTE connectivity. Also the browser appears to work again. Albeit slow and crappy as "expected".

Thanks for the info. Let us know in a week if it stays "fixed"... albeit "slow and crappy as expected"

Which mirroring kit did you get and did you fit it yourself?

Got mine from eBay im not sure if i can post links here but its easy enough to find, searched "HDMI Interface Box for Tesla Model S / X" £370 expedited postage £90 , i opted for just the box not the full mirroring kit . ive now got it set up with a chrome cast and a HDMI audio spliter connected to a fm transmitter for the audio , i would not recommend Bluetooth as there is a noticeable audio delay.

i fitted it my self, although instructions were a little lacking for early pre autopilot rhd cars. quite a bit of trim removal required to route the necessary cables plus additional ones for chrome cast and audio set up and 4g hotspot for the wifi . happy to help others with installation questions, its also a completely reversible mod.

I just got v10 (2019.32.2) on MCU1, and we road tripped two days with it.

First impressions, v10 is definitely not worse than v9. Except for the last issue, but since it wasn’t reported on that forum, I hope this was a temporary problem...

The good:
  • We now have NoA in Europe
  • Music glitches did not completely disappear, but it seems they are significantly less frequent.
  • Charge speed increased to 150kW
  • Auto steer is smoother
Not worse than v9:
  • Navigation trip calculation is awfully slow
  • Map display is slow
  • Browser is almost never working
  • UI still has semitransparent window edges showing the map always rendering whatever is displayed, bloating the poor MCU1
Worse than v9:
  • Browser is full screen only. But since it’s never working anyway, having a blank page on half screen or full screen is not relevant
  • We had one sunny day where the autopilot was working well with NoA. The second day we had medium rain, during most of the trip auto steer was disabled, or lasted 30 seconds before disengaging with the red hands of doom. It seems autopilot does not tolerate any rain now???
This last point is a huge issue for me... I live in Brittany where it’s raining quite often. By the past the car was able to auto steer by night under heavy rain storms, which was very impressive. Then today with v10, in full daylight, light to medium rain, it was unusable. Even TACC was sometimes refusing to engage, and the dash screen was full of warning such as lane departure avoidance disabled, etc... Seriously? All the safety features only work by sunny days? Am I the only one having this issue?

Like others have reported here, my browser no longer works with V10 on my MCU1 system.

It was 19.32, as I recall, which corrected an timer interrupt which was 1000X too frequent (and discovered by @verygreen) that overloaded the CPU and prevented the browser from working; 19.32 fixed that and restored browser functionality. However, V10 is back to no worky.

@verygreen, do you have any idea why the browser isn't working now? Did someone erroneously restore the original bug?

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
I am on 2019.32.12.3 and browser is full not working mode. I actually use it a lot before in half screen mode for Tesla winds, Waze and weather radar. V10 killed half screen, I sent in a few compliant and the most recent update “fixed” it by making the browser not work at all. It used to hang and blank out once in a while which can be fixed by rebooting, but that doesn’t fix it anymore.

I am on 2019.32.12.3 and browser is full not working mode. I actually use it a lot before in half screen mode for Tesla winds, Waze and weather radar. V10 killed half screen, I sent in a few compliant and the most recent update “fixed” it by making the browser not work at all. It used to hang and blank out once in a while which can be fixed by rebooting, but that doesn’t fix it anymore.
Aha! So I guess we have you to thank for that "fix"! :mad:

Realistically though, it might actually be Tesla's mitigation for dying MCU1 given that this issue has made it to the media recently (which means Elon pay attention). People were rebooting often to fix the browser, causing additional wear on EMMC. People using the browser definitely causes emmc wear. I also noticed that after the update, my car switches to FM radio (from streaming) when I get in the car - maybe streaming wears out emmc too? I never listened to FM radio on my Tesla, so I find it weird that it's tuned to an actual station, similar to the streaming channel in content (and not on either end of the FM spectrum). For any other manufacturer this would be a joke suggestion, but with Elon, I honestly cannot say that he would not agree to such tactics if it means less headaches and bad press for broken MCU's. He is truly allergic to bad press. I remember they disabled SAS and then wouldn't even admit doing so for weeks, when the media freaked out over a Tesla which drove over a hitch and caught on fire. Even SC's thought SAS was broken until Elon came clean that it was a feature, not a bug. They didn't re-enable SAS for months btw.

It's quite puzzling to read your feedbacks.
My experience is a bit the opposite.

Quick recap: I stopped using the browser since last year as it would only work a day or two after rebooting in v9. Then I updated to v10, it worked a bit better then completely died (blank screen) and no reboot would help.
Then I updated to the 32.12.3 last sunday night (Oct 20th): browser started working again, and it's now been a full week that it works. Even Tesla Waze works. Yesterday, we were searching for a place to eat and I used it to open restaurant's websites from the nav.
When I say it worked, it did so but stil very slowly, in the end, my wife next to me had found one on her smartphone before me ;)

I'm still expecting it to blank out one of these days, but in my MCU1 at least, it's doing "better" than ever with 32.12.3.

You can check my "context" in my signature, there is maybe some clue to you as to what is different from me.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
It's quite puzzling to read your feedbacks.
My experience is a bit the opposite.

Quick recap: I stopped using the browser since last year as it would only work a day or two after rebooting in v9. Then I updated to v10, it worked a bit better then completely died (blank screen) and no reboot would help.
Then I updated to the 32.12.3 last sunday night (Oct 20th): browser started working again, and it's now been a full week that it works. Even Tesla Waze works. Yesterday, we were searching for a place to eat and I used it to open restaurant's websites from the nav.
When I say it worked, it did so but stil very slowly, in the end, my wife next to me had found one on her smartphone before me ;)

I'm still expecting it to blank out one of these days, but in my MCU1 at least, it's doing "better" than ever with 32.12.3.

You can check my "context" in my signature, there is maybe some clue to you as to what is different from me.
So what you're saying is that Tesla software works occasionally an inconsistently. Yep, that sounds about right.

I just received an email from Tesla Support regarding the V10 on MCU 1.0 issue.

I responded (see below)... and would suggest anyone with V10 send your complaint to Customer Support Tesla

Sent: 10/28/2019 10:000 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: fix the v10 Web browser bug that no longer allows the browser to operate in half screen mode.Kody,

Thanks for your response. I’m sure you’re SUPER busy with the v10 rollout.

I’ve chosen NOT to update to v10 since I use the Tesla browser while driving all the time to run:
  • Waze for Tesla
  • Tesla Winds
  • A Better Route Planner
However the BIGGER issue is the v10 browser seems to be COMPLETELY BROKEN for MANY Tesla owners with MCU 1.0 hardware: V10 on MCU1

This is completely unacceptable for Tesla and the THOUSANDS of Tesla “early adopters” and “evangelists” like me who paid $100,000+ for our Teslas… only to have the browser feature become totally unusable because of bad software coding.

PLEASE MAKE FIXING THE V10 BROWSER ON MCU 1.0 HARDWARE A PRIORITY since many of us are what made Tesla what it is today… and are in the market to buy more Teslas in the future if we’re not abandoned now when we need you most.

Thanks!

Don
2015 Model S
P85D+ (Ludicrous and Plus Suspension)
$130,000+ MSRP
6+ Tesla referrals... and counting

Date: Monday, October 28, 2019 at 9:32 AM
To: Don
Subject: RE: fix the v10 Web browser bug that no longer allows the browser to operate in half screen mode. [ ref:_00D506dxX._5003aw2tKc:ref ]

Hello Don,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Support. As we continue to grow and deliver more vehicles, we are working to keep up with the needs of every one of our customers. Sometimes, we are not able to keep up with those needs as quickly as we would like to.

We apologize that there has been a large delay in responding to your email. We do see that you have been in contact with us since your original email, and we are hopeful that your problem has been completely resolved.

However, if you have additional needs, please reply to this email and we will respond as soon as we are able.

Thank you for being part of the Tesla community,

Best,

Kody R. |Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 10/22/2019 11:40 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: fix the v10 Web browser bug that no longer allows the browser to operate in half screen mode.

I'm not updating to v10 until Tesla fixes these 2 critical Web browser bugs:

1. can't operate in half screen mode like it did in v9

2. freezing after use for a while

3. Tesla Waze is unusable in v10... but worked fine in v9

4. MUCH longer time to complete a "soft reboot" using the 1 steering wheel buttons

Don
2015 Model S
P85D+ (Ludicrous and Plus Suspension)
$130,000+ MSRP
6+ Tesla referrals... and counting

Reactions: David29
Like others have reported here, my browser no longer works with V10 on my MCU1 system.

It was 19.32, as I recall, which corrected an timer interrupt which was 1000X too frequent (and discovered by @verygreen) that overloaded the CPU and prevented the browser from working; 19.32 fixed that and restored browser functionality. However, V10 is back to no worky.

@verygreen, do you have any idea why the browser isn't working now? Did someone erroneously restore the original bug?
cpu hog with traffic display enabled was found by somebody else (don't have a link to the original report on TMC on hand).

Browser works on 19.32.12.3 for me

browser.jpg

It's definitely anything but fast, but it does work: VID_20191028_160859 - Streamable

Reactions: am_dmd