Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still on 32.11.1 and the browser dies on its own (without even using it) in about 24h after a reboot. I find it a pity as when it works, it’s still slow but useful.
I have not had 32.12.2 proposed yet but if it does not help on that issue, i’ll just wait for the next one.
my experience with the browser the past several months seems the same.

I received 2019.32.12.2 a few days ago (70D, MCU1/AP1) - after the first couple days I thought the browser was working normally again (by "normally", I mean to say it seemed back to its pitifully slow glacial self it always used to be i.e. very slow but at least it seemed to be working without randomly dying)

but it was too good to be true, the 3rd day after receiving 32.12.2 the browser is back to not working - i.e. the browser window stays blank - typing in a URL or clicking on a favorite does nothing - no progress bar movement, no sign of life at all.

Prior to the update a few days ago I was on 2019.32.11.1 and for that version through back a number of updates to one of the early v9 releases (sorry I forget which), my browser would work for at most a day and then die. reboot would temporarily solve it, but sometimes later in the same day or at most a day later it would stop working again, even if I wasn't using it in between. So, no forward progress with 32.12.1 for the browser problems, it seems... BTW the 32.12.1 release notes didn't seem to have any differences from those for 32.11.1

Don't understand why some people kept saying it is working? come on, it is on LTE, and browser acting like 286 with 14.4k dial-up connection? How can you tolerate that????
I guess when it first came out it was pretty cool, but in 2019 mobile data plans are so cheap with loads of data, my phone easily does 200+ Mbps no matter where I am located (faster with good signal) so the need for a web browser in the car is almost null these days. Based on using it is (as you say) like a 286 I don't know why I'd rather use it than my phone anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: mahagala
I'm on 2019.32.12.2 like most of you. Unlike previous releases, rebooting does not make the browser work at all.

And I'm less bothered by the lack of browser than I am by the fact that it's taken the Release Notes and User Manual with it (not surprising, behind the scenes it's all just webpages). So I still don't know what v10 is supposed to be doing for *me* on my 2018 AP2.5 MCU-1 car.....

Reactions: David29
I guess when it first came out it was pretty cool, but in 2019 mobile data plans are so cheap with loads of data, my phone easily does 200+ Mbps no matter where I am located (faster with good signal) so the need for a web browser in the car is almost null these days. Based on using it is (as you say) like a 286 I don't know why I'd rather use it than my phone anyway.
Indeed on our smartphones it’s fast and reliable.
Yet, the 17” screen makes it a hell of a nicer place to browse than the tiny screen, whatever smartphone you chose.
And the map improvement that allow to open a poi’s web page would be great for the passenger to check on a restaurant ‘s look and menu.

So yes I’d like it to work. Won’t change car because of that but again, it was part of the package when I bought it so it ought to be working.

Indeed on our smartphones it’s fast and reliable.
Yet, the 17” screen makes it a hell of a nicer place to browse than the tiny screen, whatever smartphone you chose.
And the map improvement that allow to open a poi’s web page would be great for the passenger to check on a restaurant ‘s look and menu.

So yes I’d like it to work. Won’t change car because of that but again, it was part of the package when I bought it so it ought to be working.
Elon said in a tweet that they are working on a upgrade without any precision but i hope for a plug and play mcu2 version swap.

Reactions: AustinP
I've MCU1, browser never ever really work no matter which version. Ya, maybe work for Google.Com landing page, and that's about it.

Don't understand why some people kept saying it is working? come on, it is on LTE, and browser acting like 286 with 14.4k dial-up connection? How can you tolerate that????

The Tesla browser in v8 and v9 has let me run Tesla Waze in a lower "split window" with the Tesla Navigation above. Works great for maybe a day or so then it becomes unresponsive. Sometimes turning off Traffic in Navigation and openingSketchpad drawing anything, then closing Sketchpad would bring the Tesla browser back to life. If not I simply reboot the MCU (frequently while driving).

I'm staying on v9 hoping v10 updates will fix v10 on AP 1.0 MCU's:
  1. browser dying after a couple of days
  2. long MCU reboot time
... since the v10 "new features" aren't of interest to me (including Spotify).

In the meantime I really appreciate all the AP 1.0 MCU owners providing their feedback !!!

Reactions: aerodyne
A 7 year old car still getting updates of any type is pretty cool. I like Spotify....on my 3 month free trial now.

How is that a good thing? Personally, I don’t want any more shitty software updates. Ever.

Tesla, leave me and my pathetic, slow, MCU1 car alone. Ideally, please revert it to V8 and leave it at that. I don’t care about arcades, chess, beach buggy, web browsing, netflix or any of the other nonsense.

Not to mention Spotify hasn’t even managed to load correctly for me so another useless feature it is.

As far as I am concerned, they should cut their software spending in half and spend that money on service instead, because currently they both suck, and aren’t getting any better. We will all win in that situation.

" Leave me and my pathetic, slow, MCU1 car alone. Ideally, please revert it to V8 and leave it at that. I don’t care about arcades, chess, beach buggy, web browsing, netflix or any of the other nonsense"

I tend to agree. AP1 will never have FSD. If we want all the latest we can just get a newer car. Although I can't see Tesla rolling us back to V8, they can at least leave us alone and concentrate on Level 4-5 autonomy, and the much delayed rollouts of Model Y and roadster and Semi.

How is that a good thing? Personally, I don’t want any more shitty software updates. Ever.

Tesla, leave me and my pathetic, slow, MCU1 car alone. Ideally, please revert it to V8 and leave it at that. I don’t care about arcades, chess, beach buggy, web browsing, netflix or any of the other nonsense.

Not to mention Spotify hasn’t even managed to load correctly for me so another useless feature it is.

As far as I am concerned, they should cut their software spending in half and spend that money on service instead, because currently they both suck, and aren’t getting any better. We will all win in that situation.
If I could update my onboard maps for nav, go back to version 7.1, and pull out my sim card... I don't know, man. I would have to think about it, but I probably would.

Reactions: Droschke

It was nice to read your experience and feeling, until you concluded for “all of us” : “We will all win in that situation”.
Unless you intended a royal “We”, that meant only you.

I am very happy with the updates that tesla is still bringing to my MCU1.
I’ve enjoyed it since June 2015 and it was all candy: didn’t ask for it but sweat indeed.
And yes the browser is failing for me and I am not happy about that. But heck I still enjoy my car and am grateful for the latest Joe mode and the new Poi feature on the map.
As for the service, can’t complain where I stand. Recently I booked an appointment in the app, and two days later got a call to propose advancing the date.

I’m no blindly positive. There is room for improvements. But neither the software nor the service “sucks” to me.

It was nice to read your experience and feeling, until you concluded for “all of us” : “We will all win in that situation”.
Unless you intended a royal “We”, that meant only you.

I am very happy with the updates that tesla is still bringing to my MCU1.
I’ve enjoyed it since June 2015 and it was all candy: didn’t ask for it but sweat indeed.
And yes the browser is failing for me and I am not happy about that. But heck I still enjoy my car and am grateful for the latest Joe mode and the new Poi feature on the map.
As for the service, can’t complain where I stand. Recently I booked an appointment in the app, and two days later got a call to propose advancing the date.

I’m no blindly positive. There is room for improvements. But neither the software nor the service “sucks” to me.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure why someone would buy a car that touts software updates as a cornerstone of the vehicle ownership experience but then complains that they get software updates... Buy a Toyota.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure why someone would buy a car that touts software updates as a cornerstone of the vehicle ownership experience but then complains that they get software updates... Buy a Toyota.
Because updates are overwhelmingly making things worse or taking away useful features. I would think that's obvious.
If your TV suddenly dropped to 640x480 resolution but gave you Atmos sound, which your TV didn't have the hardware for so you couldn't use, would you be all like "Yay, my TV just updated!"?

That’s absolutely true, even though you twisted it and overgeneralized it so I’ll try to respond.

When Tesla promised software updates, my expectations were that these updates would be high quality, well tested and beneficial to the ownership experience. In that case, what you said absolutely has a point and would be great.

However, as with most software, over time it has become a huge mess, especially for MCU1 owners. A quad core CPU from 2010 is barely keeping up with the absolute crap Tesla has developed on top of it. The UI is more sluggish than my old Sony Ericsson phone from 2008. In any case, I think that me wanting to completely opt out of software updates in a world like this is totally reasonable.

But, like you also said, I can vote with my wallet and simply ditch the car altogether instead of complaining here so I agree.

That’s absolutely true, even though you twisted it and overgeneralized it so I’ll try to respond.

When Tesla promised software updates, my expectations were that these updates would be high quality, well tested and beneficial to the ownership experience. In that case, what you said absolutely has a point and would be great.

However, as with most software, over time it has become a huge mess, especially for MCU1 owners. A quad core CPU from 2010 is barely keeping up with the absolute crap Tesla has developed on top of it. The UI is more sluggish than my old Sony Ericsson phone from 2008. In any case, I think that me wanting to completely opt out of software updates in a world like this is totally reasonable.

But, like you also said, I can vote with my wallet and simply ditch the car altogether instead of complaining here so I agree.

All valid points. My MCU1 does indeed run slow and buggy. I still would not give updates up for anything... I think the pressure does need to be put on Tesla about MCU1 and the absolute crap quality of software that it's been receiving. So I think my answer about not wanting updates is an overgeneralized response to the overgeneralized statements of no updates. We can indeed all agree updates from v9 and beyond were simply crap programming and rendered the MCU a trying user experience.