Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry that I haven't read your full post history (You have over 4,000+ posts): I would be curious if you tried the following
  1. Deleted all your trip odometer and rebooted and then then tried your browser.
  2. If that doesnt fix it: Remove all your Map history items (by swiping right to remove them from the list) and reboot and re-try
  3. If that doesnt fix it: Full factory reset
I know those things will take a bit of time (and losing your history can be a pain) but might be something to get more data points on and share with the community. If you've already tried those things (sorry again for not checking your previous posts) then maybe your eMMC swap is the only next step and keep us posted on how that goes.

My browser works. My car (AP1,MCU1) was factory reset about 5 months ago and I only keep about 15 items in my Map history list.
Tried it once before - got the browser going for a day or two. So not worth it.

I know this has been mentioned before, but turning off traffic on maps will get the browser working again

If it doesn’t immediately fix the browser do a reset after turning off map traffic. Worked for me and a friends MS
This used to work, but Tesla fixed the traffic issue since few months ago (in v9). Or are you saying that they re-introduced the bug again? That is totally possible with Elon's "best process is no process" principle - following no process someone could have just checked in an old file and eradicated all bug fixes made in the last few months. Or, maybe they didn't bother porting the v9 bug fixes to v10, maybe a different outsourced team offshore somewhere writing v10 started with old v9 code and didn't have access to v9 fixes, or simply didn't care to pull them in.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Early access program... :cool:
No early access program. I just got 12.8 and I am not on any program. I did go without an update for 11 weeks which is the longest drought with this car.

I agree, not much there for AP1 cars who do not have Spotify. Joe mode will he welcomes, but comes just AFTER a 2500 mile road trip with 7 year-old twins.

update on my earlier post 4 or 5 pages back in this thread... I've been on 2019.32.12.3 for just over a week now (70D MCU1/AP1) - I can report that the browser is still broken, same as I and others reported earlier in this thread, i.e. might work for a while but then just stays blank, no sign of life at all - usually within about a day after it was seemingly working. Been this way since early v9.

And no, at least in my case, the old bug having the traffic enabled in maps eating up all the CPU performance and killing the browser is definitely NOT in play here, that was thankfully fixed a number of versions ago - now toggling traffic off does nothing to fix the dead browser.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
I know this has been mentioned before, but turning off traffic on maps will get the browser working again

Classic 2013 S reporting in, this workaround works for me too, turn off live traffic and the browser came to life immediately, didn't need to reboot, WAZE took it's 30 seconds to come to life, but it worked well on my drive just now. Great tip!

V10
I'm an "early innovator" type, so have the most aggressive firmware upgrade options selected.
Great! So the buggy code from old V9 made it into V10 now, even though V9 already had a fix. I guess it will take another 6 months+ to fix it in V10, then will come back in V11. Elon's "no process" process in action. In wonder how many MCU1s it will this flood of traffic checks kill before its fixed.

I've been able to have an operating browser most of the time now on V10, but my mission to get it back started with a factory reset on V9 (it actually worked)... but I've noticed something that could be helpful to others:

After a fresh boot if the "cannot load page" (or whatever the error page says) comes up first, the browser will work (for a while at least), but if the browser stays on a totally blank screen while the cellular (or wifi) connection is being negotiated, it's already "checked out".

I figure bringing it to the front while it's initializing might help the odds. Not sure so far whether loading the whiteboard, turning off traffic have any affect (there's no traffic data loaded yet anyway without connectivity) but in hopes of improving the odds further (which are already 80-90% of the time now) I do try to be easy on the other MCU functions when I first check on the browser and usually do it with whiteboard loaded in background instead of maps...

It seems to me that there's a "gate" set that shuts-down the browser's CPU cycle requests at a certain threshold, and once it's triggered the browser checks-out until next reboot. So in my experience if it stays on the blank screen, it's already "checked-out" but if it throws the error page it will be available when the connection comes online.

I've been able to have an operating browser most of the time now on V10, but my mission to get it back started with a factory reset on V9 (it actually worked)... but I've noticed something that could be helpful to others:

After a fresh boot if the "cannot load page" (or whatever the error page says) comes up first, the browser will work (for a while at least), but if the browser stays on a totally blank screen while the cellular (or wifi) connection is being negotiated, it's already "checked out".

I figure bringing it to the front while it's initializing might help the odds. Not sure so far whether loading the whiteboard, turning off traffic have any affect (there's no traffic data loaded yet anyway without connectivity) but in hopes of improving the odds further (which are already 80-90% of the time now) I do try to be easy on the other MCU functions when I first check on the browser and usually do it with whiteboard loaded in background instead of maps...

It seems to me that there's a "gate" set that shuts-down the browser's CPU cycle requests at a certain threshold, and once it's triggered the browser checks-out until next reboot. So in my experience if it stays on the blank screen, it's already "checked-out" but if it throws the error page it will be available when the connection comes online.
A lot of this reminds me of that episode of Friends where Phoebe is afraid to go to the dentist because she noticed that someone had died each of the last few times she went—and she had to believe that a cause-and-effect relationship existed.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors

Yep, my browser has been checked out since last update (2019.32.12.3), reboots don't help, tried turning off traffic, still bad (though didn't reboot after turning off traffic because I am trying to limit my emmc wear until I swap it out, as it started showing signs of degradation). Owning a 4 year old Tesla is like owning an iPad2 - you dread every upgrade but have to apply it either because Tesla forces it, or simply because you don't want your 24/7 connected car to have well known security vulnerabilities exposed.

Reactions: Lex