Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - Navigation is unusable at night!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was totally wrong. Street names are very invisible still. This is concerning in my city as these are actually all pretty major streets.
Yeah I think they took away the smaller street names on the default zoom I think. If you zoom closer I think the names will start showing up. It's the same as with the superchargers. You have to zoom to a certain level for it to show up after you toggle the Point of Interest icon on. They are really trying to de-clutter your map. They are doing the same with M3/MY left side screen too. Move all the stuff like speed, speed limit, ap wheel, ap limit to tiny tiny display at the corners. Leaving a huge blank space above the car. No idea why.

I feel like they are making rooms for new stuff to come into the display.

They are really trying to de-clutter your map. They are doing the same with M3/MY left side screen too. Move all the stuff like speed, speed limit, ap wheel, ap limit to tiny tiny display at the corners.

The previous map was carefully designed and tested, not cluttered.

These changes are made by someone who doesn't know Usability 101. (Maybe they're following the mythology about Steve Jobs.)

Elon, your team needs to do usability testing! Here's a great, short book on usability and usability testing: Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability (3rd Edition).

Interesting. Since @jaqueh and @Need posted a view of Golden Gate Park, I thought I'd do the same. Here's what it looks like on the new Model S's horizontal 17" screen, for comparison. I'm running 2021.44.25.2, of course:

IMG_4535 Copy.JPG

Interesting. Since @jaqueh and @Need posted a view of Golden Gate Park, I thought I'd do the same. Here's what it looks like on the new Model S's horizontal 17" screen, for comparison. I'm running 2021.44.25.2, of course:

View attachment 750950
Yeah I haven’t seen that in a while but that is so much better to me. Hiding doesn’t make anything better

View attachment 750950
That looks 1000x better that what I get on my 2021 Model 3. .. you have clearly legible names on every street at the default zoom level. You can see the minor roads in dark mode (though the traffic information makes it much harder to see the street layouts, imo)

I have discovered now that pressing the 'map pin' icon does change the brightness of the street names so they are more legible. But for some reason very few of the streets get labels, even when you zoom in much more than this. I wonder if there are some hardwired constants about how often to put street labels that work fine for a Model S screen but don't work very well for the smaller split-screen map view in the Model 3?

I have to agree, after using this new UI for a week, there is something really off on the navigation at night. I have tried switching between the regular map and satellite, but there is still this odd low contrast and darkness at night that doesn’t affect the rest of the screen. I have the auto brightness on, and at night the map is almost unreadable.

That looks 1000x better that what I get on my 2021 Model 3. .. you have clearly legible names on every street at the default zoom level. You can see the minor roads in dark mode (though the traffic information makes it much harder to see the street layouts, imo)

I have discovered now that pressing the 'map pin' icon does change the brightness of the street names so they are more legible. But for some reason very few of the streets get labels, even when you zoom in much more than this. I wonder if there are some hardwired constants about how often to put street labels that work fine for a Model S screen but don't work very well for the smaller split-screen map view in the Model 3?
Even though I would not say "1000x" better, that does look a LOT better than my 2018 Model 3 and 2017 Model X (w/ MCU 2 upgrade) screens. I wouldn't be surprised if they design the new UI on their newest and greatest hardware and just don't really care too much about how they look on older hardware.

Even though I would not say "1000x" better, that does look a LOT better than my 2018 Model 3 and 2017 Model X (w/ MCU 2 upgrade) screens. I wouldn't be surprised if they design the new UI on their newest and greatest hardware and just don't really care too much about how they look on older hardware.

The map is virtually unreadable in the night color scheme on our 3 week old M3.

I believe this is likely. The refreshed Model S came with this version of the UI. IIRC, it's been basically unchanged since the spring, when the first cars were delivered to customers. Each release, including "v11" proper, just has added some features. It's still missing some -- like the "Energy app". Grr!

Last edited:
I’ve got 2021.44.30 on a new M3 LR and the night time don’t look improved. The side streets are still washed out. Anyone else?
Mine is still very dim and washed out. It doesn't do it all the time though. I had a couple of days after the update it looked better. Tonight, back to the ultra dim, washed out look. Initially I though maybe it was the auto brightness just being dimmer, but the rest of the screen looks fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Drove our Model 3 at night for the first time in a while (2021.44.30), and the map is definitely hard to see now, with or without navigation. You can barely see the road you’re on, much less side streets, and street names are illegible. This was not an issue pre-V11. I haven’t driven my 2018 S at night since getting V11, so I don’t know what that looks like yet.

Reactions: Sporty
Drove our Model 3 at night for the first time in a while (2021.44.30), and the map is definitely hard to see now, with or without navigation. You can barely see the road you’re on, much less side streets, and street names are illegible. This was not an issue pre-V11. I haven’t driven my 2018 S at night since getting V11, so I don’t know what that looks like yet.
In another thread on this topic, somebody posted that their map was illegible after the 44.25 update, but a restart/reboot fixed it for them.
It if was just the street names being hard to read then the 'POI Map Pin' button can make them brighter.

For me, the 44.30 update seemed to increase the number of streets that had names. It also appeared to change the contrast of the roads vs background in dark mode.

I am relatively happy with the current state (though I still think that the traffic information is shown in a very distracting way - I would turn it off, but it's often necessary for city driving)

Hmmm.... I'm beginning to wonder if there might be some issue with the car switching between day and night modes? If the problem reoccurs on my car I'll try to pay attention to what times of day I last drove it and whether the display was light or dark.

Hmmm.... I'm beginning to wonder if there might be some issue with the car switching between day and night modes? If the problem reoccurs on my car I'll try to pay attention to what times of day I last drove it and whether the display was light or dark.
The screen was in night mode, but other things on the screen were easy enough to see so it wasn't a display brightness issue.

I tried showing points of interest, and they were easy to see, but the map itself was still too dim.