Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has to stop Little Jonny playing with our Tesla life without parental guidance. This is ridiculous. The screen looks different. Functions that I need to do on the fly while driving has to go through several screens instead of touching the icon on V10. I don't even know where everything is anymore. Who the heck needs a light show and why did Little Jonny think this is such a vital function we want while hiding all the rest? Simple software update was the one of the attractions to Tesla technology but someone has to control Little Jonny before he ruins our life by distraction while driving. Now and on I will reject anymore update unless back to V10.

No... this is not that. This is much worse than that.

When I bought my M3 in December last year, I drove it 7 hours home with whatever version the UI was at that time. Upon arriving home and connecting to WiFi, I was given an update that completely overhauled the software. There were many complainers at the time, but they really seemed like nit-picking, and while many things were different, the software still seemed well thought out.

This updated has moved a number of *really* important features behind sub menus. My windshield was foggy while driving home tonight - resolving it used to take one touch of an icon that was aligned with the bottom of the screen. Now, that same icon required touching the temperature twice (or swiping) to bring up the climate controls, and then touching a button in the middle of the screen. Touching an icon on the bottom of the screen doesn't require nearly as much *eye* attention as a button in the middle of the screen... and those screens have gotten more dense.

Looking down at the screen for 6 seconds to turn on defrosters is absolutely dangerous.

Well the earliest version I got to use was back in the days of version 7 but I'm guessing that you never experienced an older legacy Model S or Model X prior to version 9 otherwise I think you would know that it was and is considered as crappy and update to what proceeded it as what I'm hearing with this new version 11,
which I just received today actually. Not sure how it's going to affect my 2012 Model S, we'll see. It's installing right now actually.

I just registered specifically to leave this review! It f$^&*ng sucks! It seems Tesla went on the same path as Apple did many years ago – they do these stupids redesigns for worse, much worse, in this case! I am a professional product designer, and I just spent over 30 minutes on the trip with my family ranting about this *sugar*! It's unacceptable! Why on f%^&*ng earth they wouldn't user-test it?! I'm confident it wouldn't survive a simple A/B test with the previous version.
1. The entire design is more of a web design than actual app design. With Tesla, it should always be with a driver in mind. Have you seen dropdowns?! FTW?! Seriously, I can't use this *sugar* when car is moving.
2. Stop hiding important functionality! The Release Notes say – we simplified design to focus more on driving and media! They stupified – not simplified it. Today I injured my knee. When I got in the car (in the rain) after my wife was there, I couldn't find the driver preset switch anymore. My wife is much smaller. So. I'm sitting there as a f^&*ng idiot with my knee hurt, and I can't even find the stupid button! I had to go through the Release Notes for this. Who decided that such important things like Energy Usage and Trips details, Tire Pressure, Defroster, Garage door, Driver preset and more are now hidden under more taps than before. Whoever made that decision – fire them.
3. This personalization BS is driving me nuts. My do I care if I want to put Spotify or Radio or TuneIn on main console? They all can be grouped under Music. At the same time, I can't bring back important functions to the console – only those few options. So, if you don't allow full personalization, then don't do it at all. Actually, in this case, I would say that pervious design didn't require any personalization – it just worked! Stop fixing what ain't broken. I bet they hired some new designers who came from traditional app/web design and don't know *sugar* about designing for a moving objects! They saw some of these paradigms in other apps and thought they would just work for Tesla as well.
4. Some things are so small and undetectable now that they're not functional anymore. The speedometer was already smaller than first versions. Now it's also a thin font. WHY??? The cruise control ON/OFF state is completely unnoticeable! Try to find it. This is IMPORTANT piece of functionality, to be able to know whether you are driving on cruise or not – whether you need to watch your breaks or not! The speedometer and cruise control speed numbers are also further apart now.

Overall, it's like looking at the art of your favorite artist that deteriorates over time and goes to *sugar*. You used to enjoy it and even compare it to other artists out-there... but not anymore! What a disappointment!

I never had 8 but I remember refusing to update from 9 to 10 for months in my X. Sadly, you end up in for a service and they update it without telling you. I updated to 11 in my model 3 yesterday and sure enough it carries on the reductionist nonsense that is really trying my patience with Tesla and has stopped me replacing my X with a new one. That said, there are two positives. One, the return of colour. I am sick of every computer screen being full of black and white windows with scratchy icons that you can't guess what they do. Also I like the side camera view when indicating which is a feature stolen from Hyundai but is quite nice. The rest of it of course is a mess.

On Old School Tesla's such as my Model S with dual screens and no autopilot or full self-driving or any of that stuff. The update is kind of just sideways movement. It didn't take anything away that I already had, some things are slightly rearranged. The nicest takeaway oddly enough is the addition of some color back on the screen. Not really a deal breaker but no real there there either. What I've seen of it so far I'd give it a thumbs up just for adding some color back to the screen and not breaking anything, yet. Although I did notice that the browser window is smaller I can no longer get it to near full screen size and the fonts are a little smaller.

I noticed no changes to the instrument cluster, or the "screen behind the steering wheel". That seems to have remained as it was through this update.

Reactions: Wheely
I just registered specifically to leave this review! It f$^&*ng sucks! It seems Tesla went on the same path as Apple did many years ago – they do these stupids redesigns for worse, much worse, in this case! I am a professional product designer, and I just spent over 30 minutes on the trip with my family ranting about this *sugar*! It's unacceptable! Why on f%^&*ng earth they wouldn't user-test it?! I'm confident it wouldn't survive a simple A/B test with the previous version.
1. The entire design is more of a web design than actual app design. With Tesla, it should always be with a driver in mind. Have you seen dropdowns?! FTW?! Seriously, I can't use this *sugar* when car is moving.
2. Stop hiding important functionality! The Release Notes say – we simplified design to focus more on driving and media! They stupified – not simplified it. Today I injured my knee. When I got in the car (in the rain) after my wife was there, I couldn't find the driver preset switch anymore. My wife is much smaller. So. I'm sitting there as a f^&*ng idiot with my knee hurt, and I can't even find the stupid button! I had to go through the Release Notes for this. Who decided that such important things like Energy Usage and Trips details, Tire Pressure, Defroster, Garage door, Driver preset and more are now hidden under more taps than before. Whoever made that decision – fire them.
3. This personalization BS is driving me nuts. My do I care if I want to put Spotify or Radio or TuneIn on main console? They all can be grouped under Music. At the same time, I can't bring back important functions to the console – only those few options. So, if you don't allow full personalization, then don't do it at all. Actually, in this case, I would say that pervious design didn't require any personalization – it just worked! Stop fixing what ain't broken. I bet they hired some new designers who came from traditional app/web design and don't know *sugar* about designing for a moving objects! They saw some of these paradigms in other apps and thought they would just work for Tesla as well.
4. Some things are so small and undetectable now that they're not functional anymore. The speedometer was already smaller than first versions. Now it's also a thin font. WHY??? The cruise control ON/OFF state is completely unnoticeable! Try to find it. This is IMPORTANT piece of functionality, to be able to know whether you are driving on cruise or not – whether you need to watch your breaks or not! The speedometer and cruise control speed numbers are also further apart now.

Overall, it's like looking at the art of your favorite artist that deteriorates over time and goes to *sugar*. You used to enjoy it and even compare it to other artists out-there... but not anymore! What a disappointment!
Well, after a couple of days you will certainly get used to those changes.

Yes Tesla does change things around a bit but the UI doesn't greatly change. This update however is a bigger UI change which as you can see, lots dont like. I personally love it but apparently nobody is allowed to love it according to the stasi here! LOL
People can complain all they want but this UI version is here to stay. There might be a few modest future tweaks which change the location and visibility of vehicle information. They might add a 2/3 to 1/3 split between the visualization and navigation panes. There may also be a few vehicle functions added to the icon bar. But that's it.

The most comical issue raised is tire pressure. Who knew people were so consumed with this information?

Reactions: Watts_Up
The most comical issue raised is tire pressure. Who knew people were so consumed with this information?
I didn't like the previous sliding operation needed to access the tire pressure. I like the new location.
Idem for the trip information which was not very practical to access.

I like now to see this bottom left location used to display the side camera blind spot when using the turn signal.

Note: Since the bottom left location is empty most of the time,
why not use it to display the rear view camera by default?
This will allow to have both at the same time the rear vew camera and the map.
Currently you have to choose one or the other.

Reactions: follow.johnny
I too am a product designer and I assure everyone if I designed something like this at my job I’d probably be fired. If I was the designer who designed v11 I’d resign. I do NOT want to be responsible for poorly designed UI that could endanger people’s lives.

It’s like whoever designed this has never driven a car before.

I’ve been driving with this update for several days now and I can tell you I’ve never felt more unsafe on the road performing some of the most essential driver actions.

First of all, if you’re looking down into your screen at your blind spot camera when you’re making a turn or changing lanes, you should have your license taken away. Who the heck thought this was a good idea? Spotify interface? Crowded and dangerous. Climate control? Scattered and dangerous. Quick controls? Not quick. Information overload. Dangerous.

Did they even test how long a driver has to glance at their screen before the probability of an accident goes up? Lets just say you have 1 second to look at your screen while your car is in motion, is that really enough time to dig through sub menus, hit touch points smaller than your fingertips, and still be road safe?

The map is the worst. It’s my biggest gripe as that’s the function I use most often. For some reason they’ve removed all street names, except for the couple of streets at the nearest intersection to you. God forbid you want to take a detour somewhere nearby to grab a coffee or find a washroom, you’d have no way of telling what’s beyond than what’s directly in front of you. How do you zoom in without knocking your navigation off course? Why do you have to tap to bring up the supercharger location/traffic buttons/satellite buttons? Are we really that pressed for real estate that we can’t just keep 3 measly buttons in view?

Where are all the map pins? I’m a big believer in empowering the user to use intuition in addition to what’s spelled out on the screen for them. If I can’t see street names and map pins, it’s extremely difficult to gauge distance. The only thing you can really do at this point is just follow the blue line. If you want to make a stop or a detour, you’ll have to pull over and search or try your luck with voice controls.

Don’t even get me started on dark mode. Again, if I made something this inaccessible, I would be fired. It’s impossible to see side streets in dark mode. With how zoomed out the map is when you’re navigating and how small streets are invisible on the map (again, with no way of easily keeping a zoomed in view) I missed every single one of my turns during a 30 minute drive earlier this evening. Completely unacceptable.

There’s a reason why Google Maps is the way it is. If they started removing street labels and basic functionality in the name of “minimalism” and “streamlining” I guarantee people will riot. Google Maps is the gold standard of navigation software. WHY is Tesla trying to reinvent the wheel here? Of all the things they could’ve improved on, this was NOT it. What an absolute failure to innovate.

I have so many gripes about this update, I could go on all day. I’m starting to believe that the screen is for passenger use only. It’s THAT dangerous. I really hope they make some real changes soon or they’ll start seeing the consequences of drivers swiping and dragging and poking at their screens when they really shouldn’t real soon.

The new interface is now dangerous to use. I've had my complaints about the climate controls which require me to take my eyes off the road to hit them, but they were on the front screen. During this time of year I turn the window defrosters on and off frequently. I'm sure that's very common in cold climates. Not having them on the main screen is dangerous.

Tesla is probably thinking about full self driving becoming the norm in the near future so people will be able to play with all the menus while driving, but older cars will never be able to do self driving and FSD is only in limited beta (not everyone has it).

I just got the update this evening and haven't driven the car yet, but I have to head out early tomorrow morning on literally the coldest day of the year. The streets are going to be icy and it sounds like I'll be fighting with the interface too.

Tesla is going to get sued over this interface. Any accident caused by someone trying to find a safety function in the stupid menus will have a good case.

I think this update is going to be added to this list:
6 software updates that went horribly wrong

As bad as Windows 8 combined with a safety application. Like @rjyc I'm a software developer too. I work for a small enough company that I do everything from UI design, to software design, to implementation. I'm not the greatest UI designer, but I'd be unemployed if I came up with anything this bad.

When designing a software interface, safety features the user needs to access quickly need to be the easiest to access (not applicable in the apps I write, but critical in a car!). Next most important are the most frequently used functions. You bury preferences that rarely change or very rarely used functions.

People can complain all they want but this UI version is here to stay. There might be a few modest future tweaks which change the location and visibility of vehicle information. They might add a 2/3 to 1/3 split between the visualization and navigation panes. There may also be a few vehicle functions added to the icon bar. But that's it.

It's a safety issue and if your pressures are out of balance tire wear is uneven. It is worth checking regularly. That said I think losing the ability to see energy usage while navigating is more of a shame.

Yes Tesla does change things around a bit but the UI doesn't greatly change. This update however is a bigger UI change which as you can see, lots dont like. I personally love it but apparently nobody is allowed to love it according to the stasi here! LOL

I think you misunderstood, easy to do with how unfortunate many of us think this downgrade is for 'us'. Tesla could have avoided a lot of complaining with ease
  • Customization shortcuts could have had All features available vs just (to me) useless ones like games, music apps I never use, etc but instead heated seats, defrost, etc
  • The swipe card on lower left could have remained, giving access to supposedly unimportant-to-some features and not bother those who don't want to swipe.
  • Settings to control which stuff remains on screen and what does not (signal strength, etc)
  • Let me choose how big I want that map! (a peeve since last year's holiday update that added more whitespace around my cartoon car at expense of the map)

Good UI design makes things discoverable and easy to use. More clicks is generally considered the wrong thing and in a moving vehicle is more dangerous. Voice is not the bandaid for bad UI choices.

I'm guessing not many people are checking on tire pressures as they drive around? Also what 'many buttons' are gone that don't have voice control??
This is why this update sucks. Something worked, replaced with something that does not work nearly as well. Voice is a bandaid.

I check my tires every single day and since you need to drive a bit to get a read, it's now much worse and less safe to check. It was actually something I thought Tesla got right, making that so easy with a quick swipe.

This is why this update sucks. Something worked, replaced with something that does not work nearly as well. Voice is a bandaid.

I check my tires every single day and since you need to drive a bit to get a read, it's now much worse and less safe to check. It was actually something I thought Tesla got right, making that so easy with a quick swipe.
You have TPMS sensors which will tell you if your tire pressure is low. Alternatively just right press and say "show service settings" and there are the tire pressures. using voice command is actually safer. I don't check my tires everyday and I am fairly sure most people don't either. For your particular need it may not be so user friendly but I imagine Tesla looked at how many times people do look at their tire pressures while driving and decided it was not a primary need for most. Send Elon Musk a tweet.

Reactions: X Fan
I think you misunderstood, easy to do with how unfortunate many of us think this downgrade is for 'us'. Tesla could have avoided a lot of complaining with ease
  • Customization shortcuts could have had All features available vs just (to me) useless ones like games, music apps I never use, etc but instead heated seats, defrost, etc
  • The swipe card on lower left could have remained, giving access to supposedly unimportant-to-some features and not bother those who don't want to swipe.
  • Settings to control which stuff remains on screen and what does not (signal strength, etc)
  • Let me choose how big I want that map! (a peeve since last year's holiday update that added more whitespace around my cartoon car at expense of the map)

Good UI design makes things discoverable and easy to use. More clicks is generally considered the wrong thing and in a moving vehicle is more dangerous. Voice is not the bandaid for bad UI choices.
I find v11 very easy to use. Again, let me just suggest you send Elon Musk a tweet and see if he listens...

@TexasTezla I do not want to have to talk to my car to get access to something that was easy before, and fast.

By the time TPMS raises a concern, one or more tires are not just low, they are "too low". TPMS is for folks that don't know or care about keeping the car in the best operating condition; I easily notice EV efficiency is notable off when tire pressures aren't precise. I'm not alone in thinking this is important.

It's this kind of thinking that really peeves me off about Tesla/Elon and the voice apologists. Because someone can't understand the value of something, it's ok to make some excuse about how it will be ok and here's an inconvenient workaround so shut up about it..

I don't have a zillion followers on Twitter so I won't fool myself into thinking he gives 2 sh1ts about my concerns.