Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely faster for me. No longer have to look at screen to find the icon for heating and hit it. No taking eyes off the road. Right click, voice command and done. In a few seconds I can feel if it works! LOL. Wipers? Easy too. Lights? Simple. Adjust steering wheel and mirrors? Easy. Navigate somewhere? Simple. Tube radio? Easy. Play music? Simple. Voice commands are easy, there is no way you can tell me otherwise. I use them all the time and they work. Sorry you cant seem to get it to work for you so easily.

This thread is about a UI update that most owners seem to think is very bad. You have responded with "... but voice commands...". The voice commands haven't changed with this update, and are not relevant. I'm happy that the car provides voice commands, although I typically only use them for a navigation destination.

The software UI is very important, and in no way do voice commands make it less important. Prior to v11, my vehicle had voice commands AND a fairly intuitive software user interface.

All the key functions I used daily are now hidden at least +1 level deep - DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.
  1. Front seat heater settings are no longer on the home screen
  2. Front/rear window defog buttons are no longer on the home screen
  3. Garage door opening prompts would auto-pup-up when I neared the garage - not anymore. Now I have to hunt for them within the new stupid screen layout.
  4. When my wife and/or me switched cars (phone profile association never worked), I could reset it right from the home screen - not anymore. Now I have to hunt for them within the new stupid screen layout.
Tesla,
Bring back v10 screen layout as an option, and quick fixing what wasn't broken!

a

P.S.: Tesla, congratulations - you've invented a way to make OTA updates capability a net negative !
No kidding, not only did this UI "update" screw up everything you have mentioned, they also made it so that if you want to adjust the heated seats and the climate is off, it will turn on the climate every time you access the screen. I often run the heated seats but turn off the climate, now the damn climate comes on every time I want to make a simple change to heated seats. This update sucks and made the car worse. Incredibly disappointed!

This thread is about a UI update that most owners seem to think is very bad. You have responded with "... but voice commands...". The voice commands haven't changed with this update, and are not relevant. I'm happy that the car provides voice commands, although I typically only use them for a navigation destination.

The software UI is very important, and in no way do voice commands make it less important. Prior to v11, my vehicle had voice commands AND a fairly intuitive software user interface.
I like the new UI...I like voice commands. If people have problems there are solutions. I was offering a solution. I could care less whether other owners like it or not! That is an irrelevancy. If you like something that others don't like, like a TV show, do you care???

So if you have a passenger then I assume it is you who is talking to them? If I have a passenger in my car they don't get offended if I say a voice command! Sorry that yours seem to get offended...c'est la vie!
I’m not sure if they would be offended or not. It’s me - not necessarily my passenger. I feel, at times, it would be rude to mute the radio (audio book) or interject at a specific point in the conversation and talk to the computer etc.

just because it’s not for me doesn’t mean it’s not for others. I’m glad the feature is useful for you and them. I can respect that. But I feel like some of the posts are not considering that, that is not the answer for everyone in all cases.

I’m not sure if they would be offended or not. It’s me - not necessarily my passenger. I feel, at times, it would be rude to mute the radio (audio book) or interject at a specific point in the conversation and talk to the computer etc.

just because it’s not for me doesn’t mean it’s not for others. I’m glad the feature is useful for you and them. I can respect that. But I feel like some of the posts are not considering that, that is not the answer for everyone in all cases.
You are right. There is no one answer for all. You have your solutions and I have mine. I would however wonder just how many times you would need to interject? I'm not talking to my car all the time. Maybe once or twice a trip, if at all!

I refuse to talk to my car. just should not be needed. yes, I'm an older guy, but I'm also pretty tech-aware and I still reject the whole voice thing.

its lazy, it needs a network, it does not work well enough for accents or noise or even facemasks (its post 2020, right?) ;)

touch screens are lazy, too, for the designers. instead of committing to a button and display layout, they allow themselves the 'right' to change look/feel as they wish, even on just a whim. there's a huge down side to that way of designing products.

I'm sitting here adjusting my power designs precision power supply made in the 1960's, with metal concentric dials that set the voltage 'directly' via dial-in. the designers thought about where to put the dials and small meter display, where the amps/volts switch should be, how to short outputs so you can set current limit, the fact that there's a flashing light to show you that, all these things were thought about for months (maybe longer) and then they settled, they made thousands of them and people used them. I have 4 of them at home that I bought used (company had a good 50 year run, give or take) and you know what - the interface is the same now as was designed in the 60's. and power supplies are just the same now as they were back then.

each time I get a chance to use real test gear, I frown when I go back to modern crap. and cars that have this goofiness are crap ui's when put next to really well thought out and stable (for years) designs.

I get that there is some variability and so you can allocate some space on the screen for those come-and-go things. but others, they are not going anywhere (wipers, heaters, volume, etc). no need to keep remapping where they live.

just STOOPID.

again, goml. I'm tired of these childish ways of changing ui's just for no damned reason at all.
Thanks for clearing up any doubt I had...which I didn't! I think younger people are less intimidated or self conscious about using voice commands I guess. I imagine Tesla will chop and change until they feel they have got the UI right. Perhaps this time they haven't if so many don't like it? I don't know the answer to that as I like the new UI. But seriously, it is another button press (if you prefer button pressing). Some comments here make it sound like their car is now a death trap! LOL

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: smogne41
Voice Control for Tire Pressure “function is not available”…Unacceptable.
Many buttons are gone and Voice Control parallels are not available.
Since the broader Beta Program went into effect, the updates have sucked.

Reactions: Benbo
Yes it seems something happened to the tire pressure voice control. It used to work...however, its not something I really monitor as I drive...I'll leave that to the TPMS sensors to tell me. If I want to check then it is FAR easier to click 2 screen buttons than it ever was on my previous cars! I'm guessing not many people are checking on tire pressures as they drive around? Also what 'many buttons' are gone that don't have voice control??

Wow, what a cogent, well presented argument, I'm convinced
It did not deserve anything more. Your whole post lacked any specifics, a lot of generalization, and an unnecessary, inflammatory comment at the end.

Let me drill down to my objection : your post did not mention ONE single way the new UI actually improved things.
Lot of words, but very little substance. And you expect a well presented argument in return? Yeah, sure! 😌

New to Tesla and to the club. Regarding UI updates, had my car for 2 weeks before it updated so everything I was just learning changed. My question is - how often do they change the UI? Most of the changes just seem like moving things around, little improvement. Is this something I need to be prepared for? Painful.

Reactions: Billee
Unless you're dumb (not stupid, dumb), have laryngitis, have to get everyone else in the car to shut up while you say the commend, happen to have cell connectivity at the time, don't have an accent it doesn't underdstand, ...
OK so lets look at your list...for all the millions of 'dumb' drivers in their Teslas, you just got to press a button on screen. Always have had to press the button! For those with laryngitis, again press a button...for those who cannot get a word in edgeways due to the incessant screaming of car occupants, the button is your friend. Accents? Well, if you have such a strong accent you aren't understood, the button is your friend...for the remaining 99.9% of Tesla drivers it should all work...good luck!

New to Tesla and to the club. Regarding UI updates, had my car for 2 weeks before it updated so everything I was just learning changed. My question is - how often do they change the UI? Most of the changes just seem like moving things around, little improvement. Is this something I need to be prepared for? Painful.
Yes Tesla does change things around a bit but the UI doesn't greatly change. This update however is a bigger UI change which as you can see, lots dont like. I personally love it but apparently nobody is allowed to love it according to the stasi here! LOL

Reactions: pilotSteve
I found a workaround voice command for viewing Tire Pressure since it's part of the "Service" tab.

Voice command: Open/Show Service Settings 👍🏻

I found a workaround voice command for viewing Tire Pressure since it's part of the "Service" tab.

Voice command: Open/Show Service Settings 👍🏻
Ha! I was testing Show Service tab and Show Service page...settings all the time! Thanks...another problem solved! It actually works for pretty much every setting screen under Controls. Nice find!

Last edited:
Reactions: follow.johnny