Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice commands are a lot safer to use than taking your eyes off the road and looking at a screen interface. Initially, you may have to figure out the correct words to say, but once you do it's a hole lot easier than pressing a button on a screen. Both hands stay on the wheel. Furthermore, even with the old interface, didn't you have a learning period during which you figured out where all the controls were located? So spend a bit of time figuring out the vocal commands. Once once learned, it's a breeze the next time.
(BTW, the garage button appears at the lower left hand of your screen when leaving or entering your garage. Otherwise, it disappears in order to lessen clutter when you shouldn't need it.)
Voice commands don’t work where there is no connectivity. With this update, you won’t know when there is no connectivity because they removed the connectivity status icon. 😣

Voice commands don’t work where there is no connectivity. With this update, you won’t know when there is no connectivity because they removed the wifi status icon. 😣
They can also be disruptive if other people are in the car. I’m glad many people like the voice feature but it by itself is not enough to say the feature is usable/done. If it was they would scrap parts of the gui where voice could be used instead. For most people it is not the primary way to run their computer, phone, or car.

There have been promises of good/useful voice assistants for longer then fsd promises.

Yesterday I downloaded the newest software update on my 3. What a mistake. First thing that happened was I had put on the pet setting when we went to shop. Came out of the store and couldn’t get rid of the pet screen and therefore, couldn’t start the car. Tesla was no help and eventually we lost connection. Luckily I looked at the app on my phone and was able to turn off pet mode from there. Then the car started. Today I wanted to set the driver’s seat to my preset position but couldn’t find where to do it. Finally found it under settings. Now the phone in the car seems not to work. It looks like I’m connected but there is no sound. Hard to get the radio to show up. Who knows will happen next. I hate to think about it. Tesla made a huge mistake by issuing this update!!

Yep that's pretty much what we all thought when we went from version 8 to version 9 some years ago in Model S and Model X. It completely destroyed the UI as we knew it, and actually removed functionality from the vehicle. It was and still is terrible. I'm hoping this update will be a little better but I have yet to receive it along with many legacy S & X owners as I understand it.

It seems ironic most all of the comments I read in this thread are mirroring those that occurred some time ago when we were all forced into version 9 and hated it. Some refused to update, some were begging to be able to roll it back, others hacked their cars. It's still not good but coming from a version 9xxx Model S maybe version 11 might be an improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: israndy
Yep that's pretty much what we all thought when we went from version 8 to version 9 some years ago in Model S and Model X. It completely destroyed the UI as we knew it, and actually removed functionality from the vehicle. It was and still is terrible. I'm hoping this update will be a little better but I have yet to receive it along with many legacy S & X owners as I understand it.

It seems ironic most all of the comments I read in this thread are mirroring those that occurred some time ago when we were all forced into version 9 and hated it. Some refused to update, some were begging to be able to roll it back, others hacked their cars. It's still not good but coming from a version 9xxx Model S maybe version 11 might be an improvement.

No... this is not that. This is much worse than that.

When I bought my M3 in December last year, I drove it 7 hours home with whatever version the UI was at that time. Upon arriving home and connecting to WiFi, I was given an update that completely overhauled the software. There were many complainers at the time, but they really seemed like nit-picking, and while many things were different, the software still seemed well thought out.

This updated has moved a number of *really* important features behind sub menus. My windshield was foggy while driving home tonight - resolving it used to take one touch of an icon that was aligned with the bottom of the screen. Now, that same icon required touching the temperature twice (or swiping) to bring up the climate controls, and then touching a button in the middle of the screen. Touching an icon on the bottom of the screen doesn't require nearly as much *eye* attention as a button in the middle of the screen... and those screens have gotten more dense.

Looking down at the screen for 6 seconds to turn on defrosters is absolutely dangerous.

noticed that some display windows don't have an 'X' to close it.

So you need instead to put your finger at the top and slide your finger verticaly
toward the bottom of the screen and the windows will slide down and close.
So that's how you do it! Thanks. I couldn't see how to get out of dashcam viewer; my awkward workaround was to bring up something else from the icons and then swipe it downwards.

Not a single person has explained why V11 is better.

Everybody who claims that v11 is better basically says something like "you can use the voice command", but i havnt heard any specific reason why its better than before?
That probably because we have only had it a couple of days. It'll take time to find everything in the new layout, work out perhaps why the UI was designed the way it was, see the patterns of intention. I am sure there will be lots of articles on the new UI soon enough.

This is the FIRST release of v11 that we will probably have for the next two years, when version 9 came out, as others have said, people were in an uproar then too, it's easy to hate on change. But as the software matures it gets better. You realize that you NEED to have the cellular reception displayed at all times, and it should be easy to turn on the seat heaters w/o turning on the cabin heat, so you put those changes in.

Software design is about taking all the possibilities of what you can do and organizing them into a uniform fashion that someone who has never seen it before should be able to understand the logic. The software we just moved from had 5 different window types, some covered up a bit, others appeared behind those, so the designers went back to the drawing board and tried to come up with a more standard way to represent all we can see on our displays, and gave us the results (as rushed as they may have been) for Xmas. Personally I am thankful.

Meanwhile you are just on the sidelines throwing Molotov cocktails

That probably because we have only had it a couple of days. It'll take time to find everything in the new layout, work out perhaps why the UI was designed the way it was, see the patterns of intention. I am sure there will be lots of articles on the new UI soon enough.

This is the FIRST release of v11 that we will probably have for the next two years, when version 9 came out, as others have said, people were in an uproar then too, it's easy to hate on change. But as the software matures it gets better. You realize that you NEED to have the cellular reception displayed at all times, and it should be easy to turn on the seat heaters w/o turning on the cabin heat, so you put those changes in.

Software design is about taking all the possibilities of what you can do and organizing them into a uniform fashion that someone who has never seen it before should be able to understand the logic. The software we just moved from had 5 different window types, some covered up a bit, others appeared behind those, so the designers went back to the drawing board and tried to come up with a more standard way to represent all we can see on our displays, and gave us the results (as rushed as they may have been) for Xmas. Personally I am thankful.

Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I love the update. Just drove a thousand miles with it and it was fine. Everything works for me...only slight issue is Netflix takes a few seconds longer to load. As for the other complaints I have read I will just say...voice command is your friend!
What if there are people in your car having a conversation?

What if the front passenger wants seats on?

I was really hoping to get the update on my vertical screen but after reading the horror stories, I think I’ll hold off on the download when ever it comes.
On vertical screen we have the two icons for heater we have profil we have lte/wifi on the top on the main screen I think version for 3/y is bugged please wait to next update before crying ! nothing change on the dashscreen also.

Reactions: HELLAWATTS
Seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about.

You are defending terrible software. Is it possible it's just bad? Or does it have to be everybody is wrong and waiting is the answer? You sound like a product guy. I'm all for shitty first tries, but this is an unsafe regression and the only good things are stupid stuff like games and light shows. I don't want that. I want a safe car. Every hour spent on the games is a waste. You have to take you eyes off the road to turn a seat heater on. Unsafe.. There is room at the bottom for it. Voice commands are fun when you like repeating yourself 10 times for something that could be done in a half second. What about the front passenger? How do they turn on their seat? What if there's a conversation going on? How does the car know what the instruction is and what is the person who didn't know the button got pushed rambling on about something else. You've clearly never had a party and tried to show off your google speaker.

Also if the voice worked perfectly on the first try it still slower and more work. Period. You're wrong.

All true, but there are three main things to consider, IMHO:
1: the primary outcome of a car software overhaul should be to avoid compromising safety, rather improving it. While the blindspot dash cam feature does that, putting essentials behind submenus defeats the purpose and makes driving more unsafe.
2: the software overhaul should aim to improve driver experience; which you can see clearly it hasnt based on the thousands of complaints.
3. This is not a PC. UI changes may be annoying but you can still figure out stuff while using the system. In a car, that's dangerous.

Just my opinion. Like the thousands, I am annoyed and struggling to find reasons to keep this version. Tesla got it wrong, which should not be the case having been in the business for these many years. The developers need to think first about the driving experience and usability of tech, before they think about lets see what we can do to make it cool.

I never had 8 but I remember refusing to update from 9 to 10 for months in my X. Sadly, you end up in for a service and they update it without telling you. I updated to 11 in my model 3 yesterday and sure enough it carries on the reductionist nonsense that is really trying my patience with Tesla and has stopped me replacing my X with a new one. That said, there are two positives. One, the return of colour. I am sick of every computer screen being full of black and white windows with scratchy icons that you can't guess what they do. Also I like the side camera view when indicating which is a feature stolen from Hyundai but is quite nice. The rest of it of course is a mess.

Reactions: OxBrew and Sporty