Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if there are people in your car having a conversation?

What if the front passenger wants seats on?
In the rare circumstances that you have passengers, they are talking and you need heating then just use the button or talk over the people. Nobody will care. If the front passenger wants a heated seat then just use voice control for front passenger seat or rear passenger seat etc. Voice commands cover every seat. I rarely touch a button nowadays. You may not like voice commands but I love them. They are very accurate as far as I am concerned. Clearly you don't like them. C'est la vie!

In the rare circumstances that you have passengers, they are talking and you need heating then just use the button or talk over the people. Nobody will care. If the front passenger wants a heated seat then just use voice control for front passenger seat or rear passenger seat etc. Voice commands cover every seat. I rarely touch a button nowadays. You may not like voice commands but I love them. They are very accurate as far as I am concerned. Clearly you don't like them. C'est la vie!
Can you explain what the voice commands are for activating the seat warmers? Is it possible to specify high medium or low heating? I tried different phrases yesterday and all I could get it to do was turn it on max heat and turn it off. When I tried saying “drivers seat low heat” the air conditioning started blasting max cold air out of the vents.

Can you explain what the voice commands are for activating the seat warmers? Is it possible to specify high medium or low heating? I tried different phrases yesterday and all I could get it to do was turn it on max heat and turn it off. When I tried saying “drivers seat low heat” the air conditioning started blasting max cold air out of the vents.
Sure...just say "set driver/passenger seat heating to low/medium/high"...works a charm. You can also say 'set rear left seat heater to medium and this will heat the seat behind the driver. Set rear seat heating to high turns on all 3 heated seats in the rear to max. Voice commands are so easy if you invest some time in getting used to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: KG M3
We had voice commands and the better UI before. It still doesn't make sense to ruin the UI. Its not a choice or one or the other.

With the old UI I could perform every task faster than voice commands.
I don't think they have ruined it. I prefer it. Oh and no you could not do every task quicker than voice command...if you spend the time learning the voice commands. You also have to take your eyes off the road whereas with voice commands you keep them on the road...safer and quicker!

I'm wondering how often any of us actually depend on the touch screen's map. I rarely go anywhere that requires it and yet it takes up so much space. Why not design the screen so that the map graphic is one touch away and instead leave all the things we all miss in this new version (seat heaters, wipers, etc) on the screen?

I for one prefer the map above most else and was disappointed at last year's Holiday Update when more cartoon animations and white space on the left pushed my map and made it smaller. Its a damn computer, let me have a little useful customization. I stupidly had hoped this update would let me have the quick nav features up on the left even if the map wasn't covered. Ha ha jokes on me, now it's lower left and covered by blindspot. WTF

Yesterday my sister and I went out, her first time visiting in over 2 long COVID years. Within seconds she had reached out and turned on her heated seat (refusing to upgrade my firmware I am!) followed by seat belt. That small thing is such a big deal I can't figure out why Tesla decided that the convenience and obviously correct UI would be deleted.

Why the heck should she have to learn voice commands or have to ask me to turn on her heated seat like a child. Sorry voice commands, even if perfect, are slower than a muscle-memory located button.

This update is 100% a downgrade for me and I won't be installing for as long as I can get away with that.

Rare is somewhat subjective. Since the pandemic (working from home) > half of my driving time I have a passenger.

Everything about this "Upgrade" sucks! Two of my most used items - garage door and User profiles, are for some reason now buried deeper. Who the hell OK'd this thing? Jesus if you are gonna keep burying the important stuff for the crap just add some physical buttons to save me the trouble.

And from comment above not everyone wants to play the "guess what to say" to get something done through voice commands. Of course then you have to hope it doesn't take 5 tries.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD give us the option to go back to previous version. Or add physical buttons back to save me the time your UI engineers seemed hell bent on stealing away from me.
The Homelink button is now a giant button on the main screen. It's not buried.

Reactions: TexasTezla
I don't think they have ruined it. I prefer it. Oh and no you could not do every task quicker than voice command...if you spend the time learning the voice commands. You also have to take your eyes off the road whereas with voice commands you keep them on the road...safer and quicker!

No way voice commands are faster. I am pretty sure they still aren't faster.

Voice command: push button wait for it to start, say "set driver's seat heater to high", wait for it to happen. Look and verify it happened.
This is all assuming it worked first time and my window isn't down and the wife isn't talking.

Old UI: one single tap

In my experience even with voice commands you still look at the screen to check it's doing what you want.

I refuse to talk to my car. just should not be needed. yes, I'm an older guy, but I'm also pretty tech-aware and I still reject the whole voice thing.

its lazy, it needs a network, it does not work well enough for accents or noise or even facemasks (its post 2020, right?) ;)

touch screens are lazy, too, for the designers. instead of committing to a button and display layout, they allow themselves the 'right' to change look/feel as they wish, even on just a whim. there's a huge down side to that way of designing products.

I'm sitting here adjusting my power designs precision power supply made in the 1960's, with metal concentric dials that set the voltage 'directly' via dial-in. the designers thought about where to put the dials and small meter display, where the amps/volts switch should be, how to short outputs so you can set current limit, the fact that there's a flashing light to show you that, all these things were thought about for months (maybe longer) and then they settled, they made thousands of them and people used them. I have 4 of them at home that I bought used (company had a good 50 year run, give or take) and you know what - the interface is the same now as was designed in the 60's. and power supplies are just the same now as they were back then.

each time I get a chance to use real test gear, I frown when I go back to modern crap. and cars that have this goofiness are crap ui's when put next to really well thought out and stable (for years) designs.

I get that there is some variability and so you can allocate some space on the screen for those come-and-go things. but others, they are not going anywhere (wipers, heaters, volume, etc). no need to keep remapping where they live.

just STOOPID.

again, goml. I'm tired of these childish ways of changing ui's just for no damned reason at all.

she had reached out and turned on her heated seat
Yeah... with version 11 she would have to open the climate controls menu, which obscures the screen. As the driver, you may have needed the screen (looking at the blind spot camera, perhaps).

The white on black icons provided more contrast and were simpler to recognize at a quick glance. The music icon seems like the worst one, but the others aren't great either.
FSDbetaUpdate-1024x576.jpg
tesla-v11-scaled.jpg

When I look at the v10 UI, it seems like someone really thought about the *driving* experience. The volume was on the right, because it was for the passenger (since the driver has scroll wheels). All of the important features needed while driving were represented at the bottom... wipers, heat, seat heaters, music, front and rear defrosters, and most everything else was behind a sub menu.

When I look at the v11 UI, it really seems like it was designed without consideration for this being a *vehicle* UI. Like someone sitting in their office said... "this looks good", but no one actually thought about driving with it or tested it out in their car to see that it made a lot of things more difficult.

Last edited:
So if you have a passenger then I assume it is you who is talking to them? If I have a passenger in my car they don't get offended if I say a voice command! Sorry that yours seem to get offended...c'est la vie!
yeah, having passengers in the car and you talking to the car - that's so absurd.

the whole voice thing is a fad. wont be a 'big thing' in another few years. its a gimmick that many of us just find no interest in, or need of. just not at all.

you want to feel like star trek or 2001? fine. but I dont. not really.

No way voice commands are faster. I am pretty sure they still aren't faster.

Voice command: push button wait for it to start, say "set driver's seat heater to high", wait for it to happen. Look and verify it happened.
This is all assuming it worked first time and my window isn't down and the wife isn't talking.

Old UI: one single tap

In my experience even with voice commands you still look at the screen to check it's doing what you want.
Definitely faster for me. No longer have to look at screen to find the icon for heating and hit it. No taking eyes off the road. Right click, voice command and done. In a few seconds I can feel if it works! LOL. Wipers? Easy too. Lights? Simple. Adjust steering wheel and mirrors? Easy. Navigate somewhere? Simple. Tune radio? Easy. Play music? Simple. Voice commands are easy, there is no way you can tell me otherwise. I use them all the time and they work. Sorry you cant seem to get it to work for you so easily.

Last edited:
2018 Model X user.

I sat in my vehicle for an 1/2 hour this morning familiarizing with the UI and it works for me. Only challenge is double tap requirement to seat heat but since I'm in Naples I use it very sparingly. Navigation options are a vast improvement and garage and charging icons are still visible.

For those of us that were crying out for FLAC improvements, they have reinstalled the album art....YEAH! My 11K FLACs sound better and with the introduction of TIDAL sound quality for streaming is vastly improved (I get next to highest quality, hiFi)..

yeah, having passengers in the car and you talking to the car - that's so absurd.

the whole voice thing is a fad. wont be a 'big thing' in another few years. its a gimmick that many of us just find no interest in, or need of. just not at all.

you want to feel like star trek or 2001? fine. but I dont. not really.
You may not like it but lots of people do for its ease of use. Hey, I get it, not everyone handles change well. Some people prefer the comfort of no change. I myself love change and welcome it. I adapt. For me the new UI is better than the old one. For you it isn't. Lucky me I guess!

This guy is actually insane.
“Set it to automatic and never worry about it”. A ui designer mantra.

The big assumption for this, is that automatic needs to work and work well. It needs to be truly a rare experience where a user needs to go around the automatic function. That is not the case for many of the items they seem to believe it is.

Question: did anyone receive a pre-release (true beta) version and provide feedback BEFORE this was pushed fleet wide? Did anyone here offer criticism while in beta? — or — did Tesla just push it to the fleet to meet Elon’s “hot hot hot” tweets?

I have been signed up for “early access” for the past three years and nothing significant until BOOM here is this major fleet wide (awful) release. WTF?

Reactions: Boza and KJD