Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to Tesla and to the club. Regarding UI updates, had my car for 2 weeks before it updated so everything I was just learning changed. My question is - how often do they change the UI? Most of the changes just seem like moving things around, little improvement. Is this something I need to be prepared for? Painful.
Every Christmas. And it doesn't matter how good you've been, Santa Elon always has a lump of coal for you!

This be update wasn't design got model 3 or Y. It's design for S and X because of their two separate screens. This is so confusing and makes it harder to find what you need. I liked having most of the buttons on my screen for quick clicks. Now, I have to look for everything. The blind spot view sucks, almost got into an accident just by trying out. This whole update is a waste of time.

This be update wasn't design got model 3 or Y. It's design for S and X because of their two separate screens. This is so confusing and makes it harder to find what you need. I liked having most of the buttons on my screen for quick clicks. Now, I have to look for everything. The blind spot view sucks, almost got into an accident just by trying out. This whole update is a waste of time.
Watch the video earlier in the post...it shows how you don't actually HAVE to go looking for anything...all easily accessible and makes much more common sense. Change can be painful but you'll manage. As for getting into an accident using blind spot view...pray tell! LOL

• Disagree
Reactions: ianc and wtwieder
I have no interest in install it after reading all of the comments. there are things I’m interested in but they are not worth it until I can set the icons to what I use. I like the cards and the ability to easily check my tire pressure and economy. I don't change my music or play games. Controlling my heated seats is a MUST since I don’t have a heat pump and it doesn’t get cold enough in NC to run the heater. I use voice contro if I’m going to make a call.

I have no interest in install it after reading all of the comments. there are things I’m interested in but they are not worth it until I can set the icons to what I use. I like the cards and the ability to easily check my tire pressure and economy. I don't change my music or play games. Controlling my heated seats is a MUST since I don’t have a heat pump and it doesn’t get cold enough in NC to run the heater. I use voice contro if I’m going to make a call.
C’mon it gets cold in the Triangle in the winter.

Ie: There were 20 lows below freezing in January 2021 and many others in December and February. That is a typical year.

FWIW: for the X, modifying heating settings is very easy.

I refuse to talk to my car. just should not be needed. yes, I'm an older guy, but I'm also pretty tech-aware and I still reject the whole voice thing.

its lazy, it needs a network, it does not work well enough for accents or noise or even facemasks (its post 2020, right?) ;)

touch screens are lazy, too, for the designers. instead of committing to a button and display layout, they allow themselves the 'right' to change look/feel as they wish, even on just a whim. there's a huge down side to that way of designing products.

I'm sitting here adjusting my power designs precision power supply made in the 1960's, with metal concentric dials that set the voltage 'directly' via dial-in. the designers thought about where to put the dials and small meter display, where the amps/volts switch should be, how to short outputs so you can set current limit, the fact that there's a flashing light to show you that, all these things were thought about for months (maybe longer) and then they settled, they made thousands of them and people used them. I have 4 of them at home that I bought used (company had a good 50 year run, give or take) and you know what - the interface is the same now as was designed in the 60's. and power supplies are just the same now as they were back then.

each time I get a chance to use real test gear, I frown when I go back to modern crap. and cars that have this goofiness are crap ui's when put next to really well thought out and stable (for years) designs.

I get that there is some variability and so you can allocate some space on the screen for those come-and-go things. but others, they are not going anywhere (wipers, heaters, volume, etc). no need to keep remapping where they live.

just STOOPID.

again, goml. I'm tired of these childish ways of changing ui's just for no damned reason at all.
I am so with you on this. I bought a very expensive microwave/oven combo. To actually re-heat your pizza you have to first find where the "on" button is by the grease marks left from it's last use because all the features look cool by not being visible until you touch them. You then have to select via touch screen that you want the microwave, that you want it to run for x minutes and then then x seconds and then confirm twice. If you happen to have a look inside before it's finished you have to confirm you want to restart. When it's finished you have to press OK after taking the pizza out. It was fun for a while until I remembered my first microwave where I shut the door and turned a dial and just waited for a "ding". Tesla!!!!! Give me the friggin dial and a ding.

Definitely faster for me. No longer have to look at screen to find the icon for heating and hit it. No taking eyes off the road. Right click, voice command and done. In a few seconds I can feel if it works! LOL. Wipers? Easy too. Lights? Simple. Adjust steering wheel and mirrors? Easy. Navigate somewhere? Simple. Tune radio? Easy. Play music? Simple. Voice commands are easy, there is no way you can tell me otherwise. I use them all the time and they work. Sorry you cant seem to get it to work for you so easily.
Have a damn control on the steering column for lights and wipers and you do it without taking your eyes of the road, without interrupting a conversation or your radio, without waiting for anything and without even thinking or noticing that you are doing it. It is the reason all sensible cars do it that way. Even the non plaid S and X.

Have a damn control on the steering column for lights and wipers and you do it without taking your eyes of the road, without interrupting a conversation or your radio, without waiting for anything and without even thinking or noticing that you are doing it. It is the reason all sensible cars do it that way. Even the non plaid S and X.
If this is so important why on earth did you buy a 3???

OK so lets look at your list...for all the millions of 'dumb' drivers in their Teslas, you just got to press a button on screen. Always have had to press the button! For those with laryngitis, again press a button...for those who cannot get a word in edgeways due to the incessant screaming of car occupants, the button is your friend. Accents? Well, if you have such a strong accent you aren't understood, the button is your friend...for the remaining 99.9% of Tesla drivers it should all work...good luck!
You are aware that most tesla drivers are not native english speakers. Neither of my Tesla's understand my girlfriend when she tries voice commands and I have to have a different contact name for her on my phone so that the cars can call her. Voice commands are really not very good.

I disagree with the blind spot view actually. It is an actual, honest, verifiable improvement. Possibly the first one I have ever had on either of my Tesla's apart from easy entry and camping mode. It actually shows more than the wing mirror does in the dark! Well done Tesla.

Reactions: pilotSteve
You are aware that most tesla drivers are not native english speakers. Neither of my Tesla's understand my girlfriend when she tries voice commands and I have to have a different contact name for her on my phone so that the cars can call her. Voice commands are really not very good.
Then they have the UI to use which is simple and intuitive. I think it is great. However, voice commands work for me and I am happy with them. If non English speakers want voice commands in their languages then I suggest they push Elon Musk to make it happen! Most all the comments I have read on this forum have been written in English. I get you don't like the the new UI. I do. I get you dont like VCs. I do.

Reactions: X Fan
Then they have the UI to use which is simple and intuitive. I think it is great. However, voice commands work for me and I am happy with them. If non English speakers want voice commands in their languages then I suggest they push Elon Musk to make it happen! Most all the comments I have read on this forum have been written in English. I get you don't like the the new UI. I do. I get you dont like VCs. I do.
It's great that you like it. Seriously. However, you have used the voice command argument for many of the complaints people have with the new UI which is fine but you are looking at it very personally. Most Tesla drivers are not English speakers and while they do have voice commands in other languages they are even worse at dialects than the english versions.

I don't hate this upgrade as much as the 10.0 upgrade and there are a couple of things I think are improvements but I think many of the changes are worse than what we had though not disastrously so. What we had in 10 was disastrously worse that 9 though but I don't think that ever made it to model 3/Y anyway.

Reactions: Benbo
Where's the instructional video for the new interface.... ???
Suppose one cannot speak (dumb or conference call) ? Maybe it's a prejudice.
When on a trip, I monitor the tire pressure.
If I have to view the climate screen (for no reason), do I really love my seat heaters ?
If I remember, he (Elon) promised a preview before any major change.
And you wondered why a bunch of stock belonging to a certain car company executive was dumped.

It's great that you like it. Seriously. However, you have used the voice command argument for many of the complaints people have with the new UI which is fine but you are looking at it very personally. Most Tesla drivers are not English speakers and while they do have voice commands in other languages they are even worse at dialects than the english versions.

I don't hate this upgrade as much as the 10.0 upgrade and there are a couple of things I think are improvements but I think many of the changes are worse than what we had though not disastrously so. What we had in 10 was disastrously worse that 9 though but I don't think that ever made it to model 3/Y anyway.
Well considering most of the Tesla drivers here in the US are English speakers I am not looking at it too personally. Granted, I am not considering Norway or Germany but I don't drive there so its not my interest. I would wager that the majority of people commenting on this site are also US based. As for dialects...it works on mine without any real problem...I would lie if I said 100% but definitely 95%. Most of the complaints today came from US based posters. I simply stated that the 'all is lost' attitude was ridiculous. Some were trying to make out the changes are dangerous. Well, people have their own opinions but what I have said today is valid. If it isn't liked that is not my concern.

Reactions: wtwieder
Well considering most of the Tesla drivers here in the US are English speakers I am not looking at it too personally. Granted, I am not considering Norway or Germany but I don't drive there so its not my interest. I would wager that the majority of people commenting on this site are also US based. As for dialects...it works on mine without any real problem...I would lie if I said 100% but definitely 95%. Most of the complaints today came from US based posters. I simply stated that the 'all is lost' attitude was ridiculous. Some were trying to make out the changes are dangerous. Well, people have their own opinions but what I have said today is valid. If it isn't liked that is not my concern.
I agree with you that at every major software change many, many people get upset and frustrated but I have long believed that your tools should adapt to you, not the other way around. The exact same thing happened with the last major UI change. This one doesn't bother me too much as there a couple of improvements and most things things are only slightly worse than they were. Typical Tesla really. I have owned at least one Tesla since 2017 and have got used to things just getting a bit worse than they were over time. I can only count three software updates that I believe added good features since 2017 and one of those is in this new update.

It's almost like some new person got hired to do this UI and this person was under a lot of pressure to perform because he or she is getting paid a lot so he or she thought to themself "i better look like im doing well, so ill change everything around. disruption is good afterall".

Reactions: father_of_6