Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have lived with update for about a week. It is still terrible. It used to be a joy to drive my model y home from work...now I am depressed and angry about how messed up it is. It is definitely worse for those of us who live in cold climates. It take 2-3 touches to find the tiny light gray icons that used to be along the bottom row and easy to hit. These are very important ones...defog , defrost, seat heaters, heat. In a northeast snowstorm good ergonomics and function, could save your life. This is not a video game...it is real! The heat icon has to be hit 2-3 times now to get to basic functions, and each time you have to hit it it raises the temperature...so you have to take your eyes off the road again to lower it. And if you don't do it fast enough the screen goes away and you have to start the process all over again. And most of the time it automatically and secretly turns the a/c on with the heat...which is the last thing you want if you are trying to save your range in cold winter climates. Tonight I tried using voice commands instead and just discovered you cannot turn the heat on or off with voice commands. You can turn defrost and defog on this way but not off...it just keeps blasting. This is not just a learning curve to get used to something new...it is terrible ergonomics and very unsafe.
I hate to see people suddenly so disappointed with the car they loved. It is sad and reminds me of my first major update to version 9. The car itself is still a great car and there will be tweaks and you will start to hate it less I promise.

I can’t understand why you guys even bought a Tesla in the first place!

You know the software would be updated. But every time it is, everybody just complains about it.

V11 is perfect. It works flawlessly. So they moved some things around. You just relearn it and get in with life.

You know what?
They can’t change everything without making any changes. You need to either get over it, or buy a different car. Ford Focus seems pretty safe.
Come back in two years. Actually three years if you have a 3 or a Y

3 years is a LONG time to wait when my car was nice just a week ago. The only real solution IMO is for Tesla to release an SDK for customizing the UI. Then each user can have the version they prefer.

Obviously more would be cool, but I think even if they allowed developers to create bottom toolbar gadgets. Of course any sdk is a fair amount of work, but I imagine they have an idea of what to do. Eg their internal apps are following some api.

Previously, when I entered a trip. Below the navigation it used to say "expected %, roundtrip %" I entered a destination in v11 yesterday. It didn't say this. Have they totally got rid of this VERY useful feature? Do they want people running out of battery with v11?

Yet another shortcoming discovered. I found a half-assed workaround for that one. Putting an address or dropping a pin that's near my start point as a waypoint, then it gives me the energy I'll have remaining when I get back to that location.

Reactions: Wheely
3 years is a LONG time to wait when my car was nice just a week ago. The only real solution IMO is for Tesla to release an SDK for customizing the UI. Then each user can have the version they prefer.
You won't need to wait that long. There will be updates and in a couple of months it won't seem so bad. You'll still wish it hadn't changed but you'll be OK with it.

Zero chance Tesla will release an SDK. No, less than zero.

Reactions: pilotSteve
They must all be based in California where it's never cold, and never damp, and where you don't need things like defrosters, and seat heaters!!! But game icons and dashcam viewers are what you need! The removal of the wh/mile is my biggest pet peeve. That little tab showed me my efficiency. Really sad it's gone :(

Strange, the trip odometers on my car are the same as they were in v 10. Must be something they didn't break for the older cars.

Know this has probably has been posted however these are issues I find with U11 interface:
  • To many clicks to get to desired control or function
  • Took away quick view of tire pressure, trip stats
  • Harder to navigate HVAC settings
  • Harder to get to heated seats without turning on the heat ,should have its own landing screen button
  • harder to change profiles, should remain on top main screen
  • Cant see connected phones via bluetooth only lists one phone , harder to switch between phones
  • Not sure if perspective navigation is an option anymore or if its conditioned by speed
  • bottom row has alot more room for function buttons, wasted space
  • side repeater camera terrible at night for blind spot , shouldn't block auto pilot view of sides and rear when on
  • Where can I see tire pressure ? why is it so many clicks
  • navigation turn list seems to be gone, the format and look and feel of the navigation font needs to be improved
  • buttons that are active should change colors instead of light grey to dark grey
Probably many more to come, this was a serious backward moving update, didnt see much improvement in this update functionally

Know this has probably has been posted however these are issues I find with U11 interface:
  • Harder to get to heated seats without turning on the heat ,should have its own landing screen button
  • Cant see connected phones via bluetooth only lists one phone , harder to switch between phones
  • Not sure if perspective navigation is an option anymore or if its conditioned by speed
  • side repeater camera terrible at night for blind spot , shouldn't block auto pilot view of sides and rear when on
  • navigation turn list seems to be gone, the format and look and feel of the navigation font needs to be improved
  • buttons that are active should change colors instead of light grey to dark grey
Probably many more to come, this was a serious backward moving update, didnt see much improvement in this update functionally

I can’t understand why you guys even bought a Tesla in the first place!

Tesla's promise was the car would continue to get better. Maybe we all missed it, but I never saw anything about the user interface dramatically changing to hide important features and negate your muscle memory. I may well have made a different choice

You know the software would be updated. But every time it is, everybody just complains about it.

V11 is perfect. It works flawlessly. So they moved some things around. You just relearn it and get in with life.

Pure opinion, one clearly not shared with many (a majority?) of folks. I'd thank you not to try to tell me how to live my life or what is important to me

You know what?
They can’t change everything without making any changes. You need to either get over it, or buy a different car. Ford Focus seems pretty safe.
Would be nice if folks would stick to discussion of the software vs berating others with insults and sarcastic comments.

When/if the super charging network really does open to other EVs, one of the strongest reasons for staying with Tesla will be gone.

Give it up. It can't be done. You WILL eventually accept it and come to terms with its annoyances though you will always remember version 10 fondly. If it helps, I thought version 10 was a heap of crap when it came out and I still do to be honest :) I avoided doing software updated for months to keep version 9.
it can be done, but it would need some hacking.

what would have to happen is that someone would have to snarf the ota update from a 'good' previous download (now impossible since it was long in the past) and then reapply it, internally (not thru the lte network, that would need authentication).

I've not even tried to look into my own tesla, no interest in that rathole, tbh. if the vendor is not supporting it, its a world of trouble to try to work around them. and I need my car to work, to drive..

keep the pressure on ALL the e-car vendors, for reversable updates or an undo or revert.

KEEP TELLING THEM WE WANT THAT.

one of them will get it. whoever gets there first, they win The Internets.

Totally agree with you ! ! !

Reactions: Msjulie
I wont go into the whole list but just so you are aware...tire pressure is 2 clicks instead of 1 swipe...a swipe which many complained about due to spinning the car instead of the card. Side repeater camera IS terrible at night because the turn signal lights destroy the image. As you likely know, it's not the primary function of the cameras, just a small bonus. The cameras are designed for a computer to interpret the image, not a human eye. HVAC settings are just a swipe up from anywhere on the bottom of the screen. Buttons are now bigger an easier to hit AFAIAC. Turn list in Nav hasn't gone.

That's great news just as long as it does NOT revert back to anything like v10! My money is on allowing users to customize more 'control' options for the bottom of the screen...ie add in seat heater buttons or defogger button etc or as in my case, not have to have them there!

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
Sounds like Tesla is aware of the dissatisfaction. What will change remains to be seen.

Elon Musk promises "many UI improvements" coming to V11 software

I very glad about that tweet and more-so about another post which was 3rd hand but specifically said Tesla mentioned the defrost button. I really wish Tesla would say a little more then 4/5 word posts. Yes “many ui improvements coming” is way better then radio silence but it would even be better to say a little more. And I don’t think it should be Elon. There are a lot of capable people working at Tesla.. there are none that Elon can trust that can answer questions or put out statements?

Reactions: tccartier