Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very glad about that tweet and more-so about another post which was 3rd hand but specifically said Tesla mentioned the defrost button. I really wish Tesla would say a little more then 4/5 word posts. Yes “many ui improvements coming” is way better then radio silence but it would even be better to say a little more. And I don’t think it should be Elon. There are a lot of capable people working at Tesla.. there are none that Elon can trust that can answer questions or put out statements?
I'm glad you say there are capable people working at Tesla...lots of comments I have read after v11 suggest Tesla is populated by idiots form SoCal who don't drive cars!

I'm glad you say there are capable people working at Tesla...lots of comments I have read after v11 suggest Tesla is populated by idiots form SoCal who don't drive cars!

I think we should separate the software department from the rest :) To be fair.. there are sections of the software that is good. But there are other parts that have IMO problems and something should be done. Reorg etc..

In any case, if there aren’t people Elon can trust then he should fix that. He’s the wrong person to be deciding where buttons go. He should get some experts on creating sw systems and focus on more important things. And if they screw up hold them accountable.

Sounds like Tesla is aware of the dissatisfaction. What will change remains to be seen.

Elon Musk promises "many UI improvements" coming to V11 software
It seems Tesla doesn't care what we think, there is no way to send in comments and suggestions for improvements that I could find on their websites.

Agree with listing above.

All we really wanted to change on the screen was to move the phone button back to the main screen, not to disguise everything else.

My wife is an occasional M3 driver, got in the car today and couldn't find a way to restore seat to her setting or open the garage door.

The trouble with a lot of software designers is that they are so close to and familiar with their work that they forget about casual users.
Suggest they test their proposed changes on their Significant Others or other family members before releasing them.

Have now gone about a week and 4-500 miles of driving, with heavy nav use and multiple driver changes.

What an absolute dumpster fire of an update. Doing almost anything (even checking the blind spot camera location!) requires taking an unreasonable amount of attention away from the road. Media—especially Spotify—went from functional and a bit glitchy to virtually impossible to navigate. Backup camera lags horribly while the UI is loading.

I had hopes that v11 was going to fix the prior UI issues. Should have known better—I’ve had my car since just before last year’s holiday update and every major update has just made the UI worse. I know it’s a dramatic thing to say, but v11 has me seriously reconsidering how long I’m going to own this car.

Which aspects of the V11 UI do you believe are dangerous?

If you're referring to viewing trip odometers then I agree that these are inferior to the V10.x software. Tesla needs to re-add an option to keep these visible while driving without obscuring the navigation/map display. Viewing tire pressure is also different than V10.x and probably inferior - but I can live without an always-on TPMS card. Also some of the controls/buttons have poor contrast (temperature adjustment, volume adjustment). And the mileage display and gear-selector font is too small.

Are there other regressions that you've noticed?

(UPDATE: This reply was in response to another thread where the OP stated that the new V11 UI is dangerous. It was moved here by an admin. I'll add that I agree with the media selection UI also being inferior to V10.x. The drop-down menu to select the active streaming source is poor. It should at least remember the prior choice!)

Last edited:
I'm still hoping (fingers crossed) that our horizontal screens will get all the top bar icons back. The v11 UI for vertical screens still have profile, dashcam, connectivity, Bluetooth, etc. on the top bar, so hopefully it was just an oversight.

Font sizes in some areas, though, seem annoying small, and I haven't even reached the point where I need readers yet. Apparently Tesla doesn't think people over a certain age need to be able to read the screen....

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
It seems Tesla has chosen form over function: Pretty and uncluttered over busy but convenient. Now instead of one touch for most everything, we have to navigate menus. We now have distracted driving. Tesla, please return the old UI, or at least give us the option of which version we want to use.
To be fair, Tesla have gone for form over function since at least 2018. The Model 3 is an exercise in form over function only beaten by the refreshed X and S

Reactions: Sporty
I have no problem with using the new UI right now but it is a step backwards.

If V11 and V10 were swapped I feel like we would all be saying yea this is good stuff.
No, I think people would still complain but the reasons would be different. They would complain that Tesla took away the turn signal side view camera option, the subwoofer level control, and the customizable icon tray for sure. They would say Tesla forced us to have specific fixed icons at the bottom of the screen instead of adding additional customizations to the existing 4. Some would probably complain that basic stuff like tire pressure and trip data was moved to weird flippy cards that were hard to find or operate. Losing existing functionality that we depended on is always disappointing. Unfortunately, people tend to speak up more to complain than to praise.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: moa999 and X Fan
Know this has probably has been posted however these are issues I find with U11 interface:
  • To many clicks to get to desired control or function
  • Took away quick view of tire pressure, trip stats
  • Harder to navigate HVAC settings
  • Harder to get to heated seats without turning on the heat ,should have its own landing screen button
  • harder to change profiles, should remain on top main screen
  • Cant see connected phones via bluetooth only lists one phone , harder to switch between phones
  • Not sure if perspective navigation is an option anymore or if its conditioned by speed
  • bottom row has alot more room for function buttons, wasted space
  • side repeater camera terrible at night for blind spot , shouldn't block auto pilot view of sides and rear when on
  • Where can I see tire pressure ? why is it so many clicks
  • navigation turn list seems to be gone, the format and look and feel of the navigation font needs to be improved
  • buttons that are active should change colors instead of light grey to dark grey
Probably many more to come, this was a serious backward moving update, didnt see much improvement in this update functionally

It appears some things are still available to older Model S and X that aren't to newer cars. All the screens on the instrument cluster are still there and unchanged including the trip odometers, the energy display, and the tire pressure. There is also an energy display accessible from the quick menu at the bottom.

One thing that is gone is the ability to change the charge level on the charging screen. The screen now only has a couple of controls.

Another thing I noticed today is that zooming of the map is gone. You're stuck with one zoom in level.

The increased focus on entertainment is a waste of effort IMO. I know people are looking for things to do while at superchargers, but I've got other things to do while supercharging. If I need to kill time I usually make some phone calls I need or want to make or have a look around the places near the supercharger. Most of the time I can be sure of a strong cell signal which isn't always the case when on the road.

If I really want to play games or something, I also have the time to dig through menus to find the games. The stuff you would only do when parked are the things that can be buried three menus down with no problem. The stuff I need to do while driving should be the easiest to get to.

I'm sure they drive cars, but the company doesn't have enough people who have to live in cold climate winters. Other American and most European cars have historically been fairly well set up for winter because all those companies are headquartered in places that get real winter weather. Tesla's center of gravity is all on the coastal parts of California that has mild winters. Designing for winter driving copies what other car makers do, but they don't grok what sort of things a driver does in a cold climate winter because few of them have ever had to do it.

When I lived in California I used the defroster occasionally, but it wasn't an absolute necessity most winter days. I didn't think about the advantages of a rear window defroster at all until I moved to Seattle with my California car. I remember the first winter swearing the next car was going to have a rear window defroster.

so-cal?

bay area is north. palo alto is north.

Tesla's design center is in Hawthorne, CA. Virtually every car maker does a lot of automotive design in the Los Angeles area. Los Angeles has a vibrant car culture and the premiere car design college program in the world is at The Art Center college in Pasadena (my father's alma mater). People graduate from there and refuse to leave Los Angeles.

Reactions: ContrarianDC
It appears some things are still available to older Model S and X that aren't to newer cars. All the screens on the instrument cluster are still there and unchanged including the trip odometers, the energy display, and the tire pressure. There is also an energy display accessible from the quick menu at the bottom.

One thing that is gone is the ability to change the charge level on the charging screen. The screen now only has a couple of controls.

Another thing I noticed today is that zooming of the map is gone. You're stuck with one zoom in level.

The increased focus on entertainment is a waste of effort IMO. I know people are looking for things to do while at superchargers, but I've got other things to do while supercharging. If I need to kill time I usually make some phone calls I need or want to make or have a look around the places near the supercharger. Most of the time I can be sure of a strong cell signal which isn't always the case when on the road.

If I really want to play games or something, I also have the time to dig through menus to find the games. The stuff you would only do when parked are the things that can be buried three menus down with no problem. The stuff I need to do while driving should be the easiest to get to.

I'm sure they drive cars, but the company doesn't have enough people who have to live in cold climate winters. Other American and most European cars have historically been fairly well set up for winter because all those companies are headquartered in places that get real winter weather. Tesla's center of gravity is all on the coastal parts of California that has mild winters. Designing for winter driving copies what other car makers do, but they don't grok what sort of things a driver does in a cold climate winter because few of them have ever had to do it.

When I lived in California I used the defroster occasionally, but it wasn't an absolute necessity most winter days. I didn't think about the advantages of a rear window defroster at all until I moved to Seattle with my California car. I remember the first winter swearing the next car was going to have a rear window defroster.

Tesla's design center is in Hawthorne, CA. Virtually every car maker does a lot of automotive design in the Los Angeles area. Los Angeles has a vibrant car culture and the premiere car design college program in the world is at The Art Center college in Pasadena (my father's alma mater). People graduate from there and refuse to leave Los Angeles.
I have a 2018 X with of course the vertical screen.

New UI is Superb and a welcome improvement. I conclude that this is a horizontal user crabfest

btw: you are wrong in a couple of your points (it’s tiring correcting things that have been Mis-posted already so I just read a little of the post)
1- I have a charging slider (posted earlier in this OP)
2-My map zooms

btw: I’m sure Tesla will modify SW to meet most of the complaints.

Now, if they would go back to the old non-forward headrest and get rid of the new steering wheel I might buy my 3rd X. Massage seats would be nice too.

The Hawthorne center may a have a few software(tool engineering) positions, the majority of the software team at Tesla are at the old HQ in Palo Alto and near the Fremont factory location. I believe that is what linux-works was referring to.

I have a 2018 X with of course the vertical screen.

New UI is Superb and a welcome improvement. I conclude that this is a horizontal user crabfest

btw: you are wrong in a couple of your points (it’s tiring correcting things that have been Mis-posted already so I just read a little of the post)
1- I have a charging slider (posted earlier in this OP)
2-My map zooms

btw: I’m sure Tesla will modify SW to meet most of the complaints.

Now, if they would go back to the old non-forward headrest and get rid of the new steering wheel I might buy my 3rd X. Massage seats would be nice too.
I haven't updated my 2017 X yet and I understand that it is the older X/S' that have a missing charge level slider so it is probably just a bug. Agree 100% on the reasons for not replacing my X with a new one.

Reactions: X Fan