Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Transition Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote this up as a guide for myself and my SO to help transitioning from V10 to V11. Thought it might be helpful to others. I know many folks feel that V11 is a mixed bag at best. This isn't intended to address that, just to help find and do things that we were used to doing a certain way in V10 and is now different. Let me know what I've got wrong and what I missed. BTW, I listed features alphabetically but might have used my own names for things which obviously would affect the order.

Update: Thanks, everyone. I've incorporated the comments received so far and made a new version with selected pics of the UI.

V11 Transition Guide​

Backup camera button: No longer fixed on the bottom of the screen. Can be added back as one of your “favorite” control icons. Here’s a shot of all the icons, with my “favorites” fixed at the bottom.
allicons.jpg

Bluetooth/Notifications/Connectivity (cellular/wifi), and HomeLink (if applicable): These buttons that used to be always on the top of the screen will now display at the top right of the Controls panel.
Controls.jpg

Charging: Tapping the battery icon brings up the Charging control panel. (As before, tapping the battery % or distance remaining toggles between those options.)

Climate controls: This used to be accessed by a fan icon. Now, you can bring up the full climate control panel by either tapping the current temperature or swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Note that the fan control is now a slider, with the option of direct setting by tapping anywhere on the slider but no + or - buttons.

Also, you can bring up a mini climate panel by tapping a temperature arrow (which does change the temperature one degree whether you wanted that or not, so you would need to then touch the other one if you want to retain the exact setting).
acmini.jpg

Dashcam: No longer fixed at the top of the screen. The viewer can be set as one of your “favorite” control icons.

Defrost and defog: No longer fixed buttons on the bottom of the screen. Now available in climate controls (see above). Not available to be pinned as “favorites”, so most convenient is pressing a temperature arrow for the mini panel.

Driver profile: No longer fixed on the top of the screen but will display at the top of the Controls panel.

Homelink: Now appears when at home location at bottom of left display, with a large “Activate” button, and also the prior small Homelink icon now at the top left of the map. If you don’t have your seatbelt on when the large button at the bottom left is showing, the seat belt warning will cover it, but you can still access the small icon along the top of the display. The Homelink icon also appears at the top of the “Controls” panel, in case you want to access it when at some other location.

Lights: Pushing the left stalk forward, which I think has always turned auto-highbeams off/on, now brings up a mini “Lights” control panel. Note that this seems to only come up when auto-highbeams is off, so if you have them on, you'll need to push it twice (which you'd need to do anyway to retain your setting).
mini lights.jpg

Map charge locations: Used to be accessed by tapping the map to bring up the lightning bolt button and pressing it. Now it’s under “navigate” as a button with the word “Charging”.

Map orientation: The map orientation button (North up, Route squiggle, or Car direction) that used to always be on the top right of the map, is now on the top left, but is covered up during navigation. To display it again, tap the map.

Music/media panel: These are now separated by service (although the various services can be accessed from within each other, and some favorites from different services are still listed together). You might want to make one or two of your services (radio and bluetooth for me) fixed as “favorites” on the bottom panel. FYI, there are three sizes of this panel. It’s trickier than before to change between the two smaller sizes by dragging the top bar, but you can use the modified three-line “hamburger” icon (with a little triangle in the corner – what’s that called in the iconography world?) to toggle between the sizes. Once you pick one of the smaller sizes, the swiping action will switch between the large and whichever smaller you pick (and swiping further down will of course close the panel).
Full:
largeplayer.jpg

Mid:
midplayer.jpg

Mini:
miniplayer.jpg

Seat heaters: No longer in a fixed position at the bottom of the screen, nor available as icons to add there. New “Auto” setting available (but only when overall AC is set to “Auto”). Access the seat heaters under the climate controls (tap the current temperature setting). For the driver only, it’s also available under the mini climate panel (tap a temperature arrow).

Tire pressure: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Service” panel. If you use voice commands, you can say “Open service settings”.

Trip odomoters: No longer available as a card. Now under “Trips”. If you use voice commands, I think you can say “Open Trips”.

Windshield wipers: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Controls” panel, although it’s generally easiest to bring up the mini Wipers panel by pushing the stalk (although that will do a wash/swipe whether needed or not).
wipers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing this. I was considering posting something similar, along the lines of things that may not be obvious in the UI that can help make this transition easier. There are a lot of threads where people have voiced their concerns and it's hard to dig through those for a few nuggets of advice. If you don't mind I would add a couple of UI things that may be helpful and were not obvious to me:

1.) With regards to bringing up the AC panel, swiping up from anywhere on the dock at the bottom will bring up the panel. This is easier for me to do while driving than pressing the button.

2.) Pushing the left stalk forward brings up a mini headlight control. (also turns on/off the auto high beams I think, so would need to press again to reset it to it's previous setting I assume)

Thanks!

We got homelink installed on a M3 while V11 dropped. Tech programmed the codes but didn’t set the names or gps locations.

It seems like a weird UI paradigm but I found the homelink settings by: quick settings -> home link (turn menu on) -> homelink (turn menu off) -> homelink (turn menu on)

The second time the menu is turned on there’s a new ‘settings’ option on it that’s not there the first time.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and hcsharp
Thanks, everyone. I've incorporated the comments received so far and made a new version with selected pics of the UI.

V11 Transition Guide​

Backup camera button: No longer fixed on the bottom of the screen. Can be added back as one of your “favorite” control icons. Here’s a shot of all the icons, with my “favorites” fixed at the bottom.
View attachment 751142

Bluetooth/Notifications/Connectivity (cellular/wifi), and HomeLink (if applicable): These buttons that used to be always on the top of the screen will now display at the top right of the Controls panel.
View attachment 751140

Charging: Tapping the battery icon brings up the Charging control panel. (As before, tapping the battery % or distance remaining toggles between those options.)

Climate controls: This used to be accessed by a fan icon. Now, you can bring up the full climate control panel by either tapping the current temperature or swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Note that the fan control is now a slider, with the option of direct setting by tapping anywhere on the slider but no + or - buttons.

Also, you can bring up a mini climate panel by tapping a temperature arrow (which does change the temperature one degree whether you wanted that or not, so you would need to then touch the other one if you want to retain the exact setting).
View attachment 751121

Dashcam: No longer fixed at the top of the screen. The viewer can be set as one of your “favorite” control icons.

Defrost and defog: No longer fixed buttons on the bottom of the screen. Now available in climate controls (see above). Not available to be pinned as “favorites”, so most convenient is pressing a temperature arrow for the mini panel.

Driver profile: No longer fixed on the top of the screen but will display at the top of the Controls panel.

Homelink: Now appears when at home location at bottom of left display, with a large “Activate” button, and also the prior small Homelink icon now at the top left of the map. If you don’t have your seatbelt on when the large button at the bottom left is showing, the seat belt warning will cover it, but you can still access the small icon along the top row. The Homelink icon also appears at the top of the “Controls” panel, in case you want to access it when at some other location.

Lights: Pushing the left stalk forward, which I think has always turned auto-highbeams off/on, now brings up a mini “Lights” control panel. Note that this seems to only come up when auto-highbeams is off, so if you have them on, you'll need to push it twice (which you'd need to do anyway to retain your setting).
View attachment 751128

Map charge locations: Used to be accessed by tapping the map to bring up the lightning bolt button and pressing it. Now it’s under “navigate” as a button with the word “Charging”.

Map orientation: The map orientation button (North up, Route squiggle, or Car direction) that used to always be on the top right of the map, is now on the top left, but is covered up during navigation. To display it again, tap the map.

Music/media panel: These are now separated by service (although the various services can be accessed from within each other, and some favorites from different services are still listed together). You might want to make one or two of your services (radio and bluetooth for me) fixed as “favorites” on the bottom panel. FYI, there are three sizes of this panel. It’s trickier than before to change between the two smaller sizes by dragging the top bar, but you can use the modified three-line “hamburger” icon (with a little triangle in the corner – what’s that called in the iconography world?) to toggle between the sizes. Once you pick one of the smaller sizes, the swiping action will switch between the large and whichever smaller you pick (and swiping further down will of course close the panel).
Full:
View attachment 751132
Mid:
View attachment 751136
Mini:
View attachment 751138

Seat heaters: No longer in a fixed position at the bottom of the screen, nor available as icons to add there. New “Auto” setting available (but only when overall AC is set to “Auto”). Access the seat heaters under the climate controls (tap the current temperature setting). For the driver only, it’s also available under the mini climate panel (tap a temperature arrow).

Tire pressure: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Service” panel. If you use voice commands, you can say “Open service settings”.

Trip odomoters: No longer available as a card. Now under “Trips”. If you use voice commands, I think you can say “Open Trips”.

Windshield wipers: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Controls” panel, although it’s generally easiest to bring up the mini Wipers panel by pushing the stalk (although that will do a wash/swipe whether needed or not).
View attachment 751139

Above and beyond. THANKS

When you enter a destination into the navigation, it used to show the expected state of charge at arrival and after a round trip. It still does, but you may have to scroll down the list of navigation directions to see it at the bottom.
I hope they will modify this by letting us see the expected SOC at destination as before: to me this is a very important point, specially in winter.
I use to adapt my speed driving accordingly, and the way it is shown now is uncomfortable, specially because if we use any other command (radio, music, a different navigation map, etc...) the list of navigation directions is shortened ("shortened" is correct in English? :))

I wrote this up as a guide for myself and my SO to help transitioning from V10 to V11. Thought it might be helpful to others. I know many folks feel that V11 is a mixed bag at best. This isn't intended to address that, just to help find and do things that we were used to doing a certain way in V10 and is now different. Let me know what I've got wrong and what I missed. BTW, I listed features alphabetically but might have used my own names for things which obviously would affect the order.

Update: Thanks, everyone. I've incorporated the comments received so far and made a new version with selected pics of the UI.

V11 Transition Guide​

View attachment 751142

View attachment 751140

View attachment 751121

Homelink: Now appears when at home location at bottom of left display, with a large “Activate” button, and also the prior small Homelink icon now at the top left of the map. If you don’t have your seatbelt on when the large button at the bottom left is showing, the seat belt warning will cover it, but you can still access the small icon along the top of the display. The Homelink icon also appears at the top of the “Controls” panel, in case you want to access it when at some other location.

View attachment 751128

Full:
View attachment 751132
Mid:
View attachment 751136
Mini:
View attachment 751138

View attachment 751139
Thank you so much. Very helpful.

Just a quick addition, if there is no cell coverage, the No Signal symbol will appear on the main screen like in V10
And if your BT drops out then youll get a message about walk away locks not working.
So basically - if you see nothing, all is good.

I think if you go through what has changed, then its clear that there are some UI principles behind these changes.

1. Declutter - only show those features absolutely critical to driving while driving (hence removal of the top bar icons)
2. Have all settings in the same place.. Why was Wifi and Defrost in the top bar, Trip meter in cards and Steering/ regen settings in Controls/Car.
Now everything is in Controls/Car with much clearer target boxes, and pretty much every setting is accessible with one or two touches.

And if your BT drops out then youll get a message about walk away locks not working.
So basically - if you see nothing, all is good.

I think if you go through what has changed, then its clear that there are some UI principles behind these changes.

1. Declutter - only show those features absolutely critical to driving while driving (hence removal of the top bar icons)
2. Have all settings in the same place.. Why was Wifi and Defrost in the top bar, Trip meter in cards and Steering/ regen settings in Controls/Car.
Now everything is in Controls/Car with much clearer target boxes, and pretty much every setting is accessible with one or two touches.

Hmm, if it's about critical to driving, then I would say the wipers function shouldn't be buried in a menu. I know it doesn't rain often in California but it does in almost everywhere else.

Yes, but could smear the windshield since it will do a pass on the windshield when you press it.

This comment I dont get. If its not raining, then you can either use voice commands to turn them on or off at a specific level, etc. If it IS raining, and you press the button to swipe it (because its or there is mist on the window), if it smears you press it again to use window cleaner, or turn it on in the context menu that comes up, or turn it on with voice commands.

How is "pushing the button might cause a smear" related to turning on windshield wipers because its raining?