Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - what’s your verdict?

V11 - what’s your verdict?

• I love it

Votes: 63 14.8%
  • Some good things, some bad things, but overall it’s ok

Votes: 181 42.5%
  • A bit “meh”. I can live with it, but preferred the old UI

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • I hate it

Votes: 75 17.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 15 years that I have been involved with application development and support, I have never seen a software upgrade universally accepted with 100% satisfaction. Perhaps it is a low bar, but I consider an upgrade to be a success if the majority of users are happy with it on balance, which this poll suggests is the case here with v11.

I'm well used to it now, but I used to get very frustrated with how users of the systems I worked with always looked back on prior versions with rose tinted glasses. You can introduce 10 new or improved bits of functionality, but if there are one or two pieces of functionality that are compromised then those 10 new or improved things are very quickly forgotten.

We all prioritise functionality differently for our own reasons. What is the same for all of us however, is that when our own top priority is resolved, the next issue on our list has its importance escalated. It never ends!

Personally I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the changes but history tells me that in a couple of weeks I'll be used to it. Whilst the additional 'clicks' for certain items are a minor annoyance for me, I would rather Tesla focus on improving the auto wipers and auto lights before resolving the UI issues that bother me.

One of the lures for me buying a tesla was that I would receive regular updates for free and that over time, functionality and usability will improve. I never expected that improvement/time graph to be a straight line, but I do expect it to trend in a positive direction. I can however see why the 3 steps forward, one/two steps back approach is uncomfortable for some people...... I can also see why some with different functionaly priorities might see this particular upgrade as one step forward, 2/3 steps back!

For me, the loss of the consumption data on the little card under the (pointless) car visualisation is the real loss. I glance at it frequently to moderate my driving range. To get at it now requires going into the menu and selecting “trips” at which point it totally obscures the entire map. I then need to tap again to clear it. A huge backward step.
I can understand why they removed the cards under the visualizations. They weren't very discoverable and quite finicky to use; most of the time I ended up spinning the car around instead of pulling out the tire pressure. 😵

I'm assuming a lot of the negative feedback here is based on model 3/y owners
As a now "legacy" model s owner I like the update. I just don't like the fact I don't get the light show or the blind spot indicators.
Well you’ve still got a bunch of useful stuff at the top of the screen, like the profile, connectivity status, etc, even though it’s portrait.

Having just driven 220 miles this morning, the blind spot camera view is completely 100% pointless.

The view is blocked by my hand (which has to be there, on the indicator stalk), and even if it wasn't, it's too low down for your eyes to flick to in between looking at the mirrors.

As I've been driving, I've tried to think of a single UI change that benefits the driver or driving, and I can't find any, which is pretty ironic, considering it's a car....

For me, the loss of the consumption data on the little card under the (pointless) car visualisation is the real loss. I glance at it frequently to moderate my driving range. To get at it now requires going into the menu and selecting “trips” at which point it totally obscures the entire map. I then need to tap again to clear it. A huge backward step.

I agree that this is a significant loss for the reasons you describe. I've never had a vehicle before that doesn't display at least a basic odometer and most have a trip odometer permanently on view as well. If I see a signpost that tells me a certain key location is "in 5 miles" I like to be able to easily see that I have travelled 5 miles when looking out for it! For an ev knowing your Wh/mile (or alternatively miles/kWh) is part of judging efficient consumption.

I'm assuming a lot of the negative feedback here is based on model 3/y owners
As a now "legacy" model s owner I like the update. I just don't like the fact I don't get the light show or the blind spot indicators.
Another S owner who feels we've been short-changed. The changes there are of marginal interest to me but a big missed opportunity to use the binnacle as a blind spot camera viewing. Biggest niggle is that the internet screen is now half height with smaller script - fiddly to adjust the script too and any entertainment stuff (which I’ll likely never use) takes a lot longer to preload.

Another S owner who feels we've been short-changed. The changes there are of marginal interest to me but a big missed opportunity to use the binnacle as a blind spot camera viewing. Biggest niggle is that the internet screen is now half height with smaller script - fiddly to adjust the script too and any entertainment stuff (which I’ll likely never use) takes a lot longer to preload.

Yes, that would have been a great screen option on the S. With regard to the browser does app.teslatv.uk work with the S main screen? The reason I ask is that on the Model 3 it allows you to choose true fullscreen for web browsing as well as being able to use various video apps fullscreen.

Yes, that would have been a great screen option on the S. With regard to the browser does app.teslatv.uk work with the S main screen? The reason I ask is that on the Model 3 it allows you to choose true fullscreen for web browsing as well as being able to use various video apps fullscreen.
Dunno , not bothered trying that app. On rare occasions when I might feel like watching some movie I usually just stick it on my phone piped through car speakers and rest phone on the binnacle - can then sit square to the screen. Might be worth trying though..

In the 15 years that I have been involved with application development and support, I have never seen a software upgrade universally accepted with 100% satisfaction. Perhaps it is a low bar, but I consider an upgrade to be a success if the majority of users are happy with it on balance, which this poll suggests is the case here with v11.

I'm well used to it now, but I used to get very frustrated with how users of the systems I worked with always looked back on prior versions with rose tinted glasses. You can introduce 10 new or improved bits of functionality, but if there are one or two pieces of functionality that are compromised then those 10 new or improved things are very quickly forgotten.

We all prioritise functionality differently for our own reasons. What is the same for all of us however, is that when our own top priority is resolved, the next issue on our list has its importance escalated. It never ends!

Personally I'm not entirely thrilled with some of the changes but history tells me that in a couple of weeks I'll be used to it. Whilst the additional 'clicks' for certain items are a minor annoyance for me, I would rather Tesla focus on improving the auto wipers and auto lights before resolving the UI issues that bother me.

One of the lures for me buying a tesla was that I would receive regular updates for free and that over time, functionality and usability will improve. I never expected that improvement/time graph to be a straight line, but I do expect it to trend in a positive direction. I can however see why the 3 steps forward, one/two steps back approach is uncomfortable for some people...... I can also see why some with different functionaly priorities might see this particular upgrade as one step forward, 2/3 steps back!
If you call a total of 236 people that replied to this poll the majority, and that 96 approve this update a success I suggest you think again.

Reactions: Wol747
2019 the speedo was situated away from the side, centred in the (smaller) visualisation so it was never obscured by your hand.

2020 they moved it to the right for no apparent reason.

2021 they've made it fainter.

2021.. it'll be in system->advanced->speedo and only available when parked?
I can’t see the point of making it more feint and a smaller font. There are no perceivable gains other than for visualisations to come…

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Dunno , not bothered trying that app. On rare occasions when I might feel like watching some movie I usually just stick it on my phone piped through car speakers and rest phone on the binnacle - can then sit square to the screen. Might be worth trying though..

It allows you to do full screen web browsing ... just ignore the movie options ... I was responding to your problem with the reduced size internet experience... this could be the answer (only could be ... I don't know if it will cope with portrait screen but it may well do).

Status
Not open for further replies.