Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - what’s your verdict?

V11 - what’s your verdict?

• I love it

Votes: 63 14.8%
  • Some good things, some bad things, but overall it’s ok

Votes: 181 42.5%
  • A bit “meh”. I can live with it, but preferred the old UI

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • I hate it

Votes: 75 17.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, disagree. In 2020 it was pretty good. It was larger and bolder. When I look across at the speed, I want it to stand out.
right now, there are a lot of small things hiding in a large useless white space.
Yes... Indeed. I was unsure whether it was bigger or smaller font but it was "fine" . No need to be sorry, its not you, its me 😬

Reactions: Dilly
Car updated Friday, but hadn't been used since, I read the posts today and with a bit of trepidation went for a look.

The speedo location is fine, the icons around it are better, the headlights/high beam is much clearer. (I've never had a car where I didn't notice I had full beam on, but it's happened a few times with this one)

Wipers are still 2 clicks away, I guess their continuity won't allow it but when pushing the car icon they should make the wipers appear bottom right same as when u press the button on the stalk. Ultimately for me the wipers are a poor experience in the northern uk weather I drive in, was better in BMW's 20 years ago.

fog lights seem highly unobtainable, I had a 90 min drive last week and turned them on/off circa 10 times due to patchy fog. (I'm more concerned about the rears)

the app setup I think is better, but needs expanded to allow people to pin some of the settings screens?

sentry mode gets better, I generally like the auto on idea unless at home, it's super frustrating the amount of times I park away from cars and return to find some old banger parked in space next to me.

Climate overall is probably better, hopefully the auto heated seat function works properly, steering wheel heater access is improved.

biggest hassle for me is when entering a new destination it's very hard to see the destination % charge, you now scroll all the way to the bottom (which can often be 10 swipes at least for me)

We went out for a drive and I let the wife get in the car while I locked up, when I got in the car she was seriously non plused as the profile setting had "vanished" I then explained they'd done an update and shoved it into a sub menu and she was even less impressed.

what's the deal with the "light show", does this mean it has advanced head lights that just dip the area in front where a car is?

All in all I think it's "ok", but I like the latest version of everything, for the average user like my wife this could really turn people off from the brand

Reactions: RNHurt
It's bad statistics to lump the overall OK group with those that unconditionally liked it

I'm in that group and I can see the release has serious issues that shouldn't have ever been in a shopping release. OTOH I'm not going to write off the whole thing.
I'm not a statistician, but my interpretation of the poll options is that those selecting the first two ('love it' and 'overall ok') were indicating that on ballance they see it it as an improvement.

All those thinking that on ballance it is a step backwards presumably have selected one of the other two options ('preferred old ui' and 'hate it')?

Perhaps a more simple poll with 'overall improvement' versus 'overall regression' options would have been more illuminating.

So having played with it today while driving as far as I can tell these are the features which now require you to go into menus to actually use;

+ Dashcam - no longer at top of the screen - if you want to save manually you either have to hit the horn or click car icon - dashcam on the controls screen - then hit car icon / swipe to remove the menu

+ windscreen de mister - no longer at bottom of screen - now have to click climate, look at screen to see where they’ve randomly positioned the button and then click it - then swipe to get rid of the climate controls

+ seat heaters - as above or you can attempt to argue with the crap voice controls (Scottish) if you want them all turned on to full power

+ radio - now multiple separate apps - minor annoyance but looks messy and they don’t close when you switch from radio to Spotify so you have to manually close each one to get back to your map display

+ messages - still doesn’t work with iPhone (has never worked with mine - might just be me)

+ phone book - can live with it however I never used it previously I just shouted on Siri to make the call and it came up itself.

+ phone calls - no longer get phone controls popping up as a card so you have to manually press the phone app when connected to the call to cancel the call or to access the keypad.

+ fog lights - car icon -> lights menu -> fog lights then same have to swipe / press car icon to get rid of menu

+ driver profiles - if your car selects wrong profile you have to press car -> controls - in order to cancel or change it…

+ trip distance - goodbye cards now in a menu

+ tyre pressures - I assume it’s under the service menu now

+ notifications now appear at the very bottom of the pointless visualisation display which still wastes so much screen space - at least put sat nav directions in that empty space or something

Most of these are minor annoyances but seriously at least let us set the previous controls as bloody shortcuts on the bottom menu.

Also don’t really understand how this is approved given the UKs policy of “distracted driving”.

Maybe they should stop trying to impress YouTubers with all these stupid gimmicks and think about making a car that’s actually drivable by the general population!

One plus: you can now finally set the car to only unlock drivers door when first unlocking!

I agree on all counts.

I’ve driven mine a few times since the “upgrade” and it’s beyond belief that any UI designer thinks that putting more items behind a menu structure that requires more key presses is in any way positive or safe.

I got p***ed off trying to heat the seats before heading off, then needed to put fog lights on while on the move (just unsafe). The music apps all separated makes no sense to me. And I had to search to find the sentry icon which used to be at the top of the screen. Now it’s also buried in menus. On returning home I looked for the charging icon to set up the charge schedule, that seemed to have moved too.

All round, I think it’s hopeless. The Tesla software team needs to think less about pointless games (I couldn’t give a damn about Sonic the bloody Hedgehog and the like) and more about how to make the Tesla car / driving UI a simple, safer and more positive experience.

I’ve loved my 2 years of Model 3 ownership and still love the driving experience itself but would I now look at alternatives? Definitely.

I too have loved more than two years of Model 3 driving, so the user interface changes will take some getting used to. On the whole, I find the organisation sensible, and capable of evolution. On the other hand, I think that the drive for minimalisation of controls is over done, since there is plenty of space on the screen, even with the acres of unnecessary white space. I had no problem with icons for LTE and wifi on the screen, and found them both useful; the former is particularly valuable when using voice control. I also found the dashcam and sentry mode icons usefully visible, and used the dashcom one several times while driving. Making it more difficult to use (possibly when in a dangerous situation) seems completely unnecessary. Checking that sentry mode is on by glancing in the window was comforting.

I am disappointed that there seems to be even less space for the title of a piece of music. It seems as if it would be easy to provide much more of the title, and roll it if necessary. I miss the bar showing how much time is left for the track. I continue to hope that one day Tesla will improve the map, with some colour to more easily distinguish all the grey lines!

I hope that Tesla will continue to evolve the interface, and take note of the many views expressed here and elsewhere.

Fog lights are now no longer under quick controls and still can’t be turned on with voice control. Really frustrating having to make those extra pushes to get to safety critical items that are needed whilst in motion.
This is my biggest gripe to be honest (which isn't bad I guess). Hit some fog Boxing day night and to have to hit the car, then lights and then fog lights seems a problem to me. Why not just have them grey on the screen under the headlight icon such that you could switch them on direct from the touch screen. The rest of the update I think is pretty good though.

This is my biggest gripe to be honest (which isn't bad I guess). Hit some fog Boxing day night and to have to hit the car, then lights and then fog lights seems a problem to me. Why not just have them grey on the screen under the headlight icon such that you could switch them on direct from the touch screen. The rest of the update I think is pretty good though.
If you flick the wiper stalk towards or away from you it brings up the headlights
panel at the bottom of the visualisation, including both foglights, then touch which you need.
Similarlarly, if you press the single wipe button on the end of the stalk the wiper panel appears at the bottom of the visualisation.
Personally one of the worst changes is the trip and tyre pressure panels that now cover most of the map rather than being the same size as the blind spot panel & being located in the same place.

• Informative
Reactions: drewpost and RNHurt
Well i may have to eat my words - I did 200 miles today and actually found the new UI pretty OK to use on the move. I found the drivers pane to be less cluttered and in my opinion easier to read at a glance. I still would like the current trip card to be present.

Forgot to add, the wife liked the camera indicator screens, but I found them pretty pointless

Last edited:
Another positive thing I just discovered is that it's now possible to scrub forwards and backwards through a song. I was playing something on Spotify and accidentally hit the play bar at the bottom of the audio window and the song jumped back to that point. I found out that you can touch any point on the play bar to advance the song to that point. Nice!

Reactions: Nick77
Tried a wee 5 mile trip last night just to see how the UI was for driving. I think overall it's a nice clean up of the front end. I like the -idea- of press a (physical) thing to bring up a card of relevent settings, although it will hopefully get a few tweaks over time. This works for lights, wipers and basic heating controls, and I think will come to make a fair amount of sense once we are used to it.

Profile, WiFi and BT are all 1 extra click away at the top of the main settings page, which again seems ok since you shouldn't need these very often.

Extra grey on grey map is pretty meh, but I can live. Hopefully local roads will get a contrast boost soon.

What I am disappointed with is the damn music player. Totally pointless change that takes you backwards, and completely violates many design principles.
  • Different apps for different sources is just dumb from a stereo pov, but maybe they are thinking like a phone?
  • I'd like to hide the 70% of sources I don't use, that was a good feature.
  • In 2 changes of music I hit the song progress bar twice trying to minimise the full pane app.
  • Tap the album to bring full screen app up, tap a different icon to peek and see favourites etc? That designer should be shot.
And that on top of the old problems!
  • Almost never remembers that I like USB as input.
  • Defaults to listing USB charger content as 10k 'songs'.
  • Sorting as albums should really give an artwork list, not text. Makes it really concentration consuming to select next album.
  • Doesn't auto play next album, leaving you in silence untill you can spare the concentration to choose the next one, as above. Last car progressed through folder in alphabetical order, ,which was ok. The one before (going back to a 97 Celica now) could randomise albums.
Driving I think is a step forward, but as you can tell I'm still sore on the music front :)

Status
Not open for further replies.