Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger Revealed 250kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible V3 will be set up to allow the semi to charge? Four connectors plugged into 1 semi would get the job done quickly! Our passenger vehicles would have to squeeze in between the trucks. Might be a smart idea - kill two birds with one charge installation.
I can't see this except in those few locations that are truck stops. There is really going to have to be a separate set of SCs that can accommodate trucks. Good news is that almost all existing truck stops have room to install SCs. Not only does this help push the Semi, it also means there will be a lot more places where cars can charge. Perhaps the north-south routes will get some love, finally.

Reactions: AMPd
Everyone here is so excited about V3 SC but it really is going to have a minimal impact for most people. Tesla staid they will not upgrade the current infrastructure from V2 to V3. The V3 SC will be for new installations. I95 on the east coast is basically all built out. I10 from FL to CA is built out. I40 from the east coast to CA is built out but for a small gap between Memphis TN and Little Rock AK. I70 is built out. West coast is pretty much built out. So for the foreseeable future most people will be visiting V2 SC and will not see the benefit from the V3 SC.
Current gaps in SC coverage in the areas already very built out can be filled in by V3 SC, and the increased throughput available at those V3 SC's will eclipse their nearby <=V2 SC's when looked at from the point of view of a long distance driver picking SC's to use. V3 SC's will similarly take less stalls per location to achieve the same amount of throughput compared to V2 SC's, so could squeeze into more locations. I will be very surprised if V3 SC's will take a very long time to become a regular staple in most long distance Tesla drivers' experience. However, the existing <V3 SC network will undoubtedly be prominent in the experience of many if not most long distance Tesla drivers for a very long time.

I can see a situation by April 2021 (only 24 months away) when today's drivers will often use both a V2 SC and a V3 SC in their average long distance journeys even here in California. I can even see a situation by October 2020 (only 18 months away) when using both types of SC's during a long trip will be experienced by at least 10% of California long distance Tesla drivers. It all depends on where Tesla continues building SC's.

Everyone here is so excited about V3 SC but it really is going to have a minimal impact for most people. Tesla staid they will not upgrade the current infrastructure from V2 to V3. The V3 SC will be for new installations. I95 on the east coast is basically all built out. I10 from FL to CA is built out. I40 from the east coast to CA is built out but for a small gap between Memphis TN and Little Rock AK. I70 is built out. West coast is pretty much built out. So for the foreseeable future most people will be visiting V2 SC and will not see the benefit from the V3 SC.

I personally do not see 200-ish mile spacing as built out. They can add more over time in between the existing ones. It would add much more flexibility and reduce stress. Should be affordable if they are charging $$ for charging.

Edit to add: Not quickly of course... but over a long time...

Is it possible V3 will be set up to allow the semi to charge? Four connectors plugged into 1 semi would get the job done quickly! Our passenger vehicles would have to squeeze in between the trucks. Might be a smart idea - kill two birds with one charge installation.
My feeling is that Supercharger V3 is a Semi MegaCharger that is wired to 4 separate pedestals. The semi Charge port appears to have contacts for 4 battery packs in one connector. In any case, I don't think they will install them at the same locations. The parking requirements are too different.

Reactions: MP3Mike and jerry33
Most locations don't have the room for a semi. No one is going to unhitch the trailer to charge. Besides the inconvenience, there's the possibility that someone else hooks up to the trailer and drives away. There will have to be separate facilities except in those locations where the SC is already at a truck stop. Even then there will be a separate truck charging area.

I'm a 2017 75 owner as well.
But here's my current understanding, which is somewhat guessing atm. V2 has a Amp limit of ~250A per stall/pair (or 300A max soon). With the 75kWh packs we're limited to 350V, which gives a max power of 90kW (300V * 250A). With V3, looks like they can put ~500A into the car at the same voltage, so ideally we'd potentially see a max of 150 kW charging rate. That's assuming the car can even handle that much amperage, and the voltage of the newer car batteries are still ~400V.

I'm guessing newer S / X have possibly been designed for this amperage but super unknown for older models.

I don't think the voltage is the limitation, my S70D supercharging would hit around 116kW and it was a 350v pack. It was replaced early this year with a 75kWh pack and most I have seen is 96kW after that pack swap

If you want to give F250 truck owners another reason to go Tesla pickup, then make the Truck adaptable to plug in and use the Megacharger. 90% of the Supercharging locations are not condusive while towing, and charging your truck and 5th wheel trailer alongside a 75ft Tesla Semi would win a lot of truck guys over. Plus, the truck will be able to utilize a much faster charge rate using megachargers compared to just v3 assuming it has almost three times the battery the Model 3 does.

In Northern California, Corning is a major Semi rest, refuel, eat and repair area right off I5. I can easily see that location being a Megacharger location that would allow truck and semi to charge harmonesly. f250/350 trucks already fill up alongside semis there.

Reactions: henderrj
4AF81F13-41D0-477D-8DDA-44390435E467.jpeg
Is V3 super chargering available for new S’? See pic

Most locations don't have the room for a semi. No one is going to unhitch the trailer to charge. Besides the inconvenience, there's the possibility that someone else hooks up to the trailer and drives away. There will have to be separate facilities except in those locations where the SC is already at a truck stop. Even then there will be a separate truck charging area.
There is a lock the trucker puts on the trailer when they disconnect. It's not super easy to break that lock.

The semi will be targeted primarily at the short haul truck drivers vs long haul guys. The short haul trucks tend to be the oldest and most polluting. The long haul drivers tend to drive the newest trucks.

No I think you got it backwards. Now Model 3 owners will be complaining because their cars charge too fast to get food from a restaurant or to go grocery shopping. "I got charged $25 in idle fees because my car finished charging in 30 minutes!"
Hopefully that's not the case in the future if SC ability is increased to offer 80-90% SOC in the same time-frame as filling 18-20 gallons of fuel.

So I’m considering a new MS 100D and am wondering what sort of supercharging speeds are being experienced by current owners of Raven cars. The specs say it can go up to 200 kW on V3 Superchargers but what are people really seeing out in the field?

If you own a Raven and supercharge regularly especially on V3 SC, please chime in.

So I’m considering a new MS 100D and am wondering what sort of supercharging speeds are being experienced by current owners of Raven cars. The specs say it can go up to 200 kW on V3 Superchargers but what are people really seeing out in the field?

If you own a Raven and supercharge regularly especially on V3 SC, please chime in.

Teslanomics tried a brand new Raven and he only got 150 kW on a V3.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak