TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

V3 Supercharger Revealed 250kW

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by dbldwn02, Mar 6, 2019.

1. dbldwn02

dbldwn02 Member

https://electrek.co/2019/03/06/tesla-supercharger-v3-kw-capacity-efficiency/

This really only benefits the Model 3 right now. 1000mph charging! However it's supposed to help the S/X charge faster as well.

My 2017 75d only charges at 90kw max right now. Anyone know if this will help at all?

There's not much info given on the Model S/X but they did say it will help it with temperature regulation before you get to the supercharger. AKA, use resistive heat to warm the battery on your way to the charger.

• Like x 1
  2. Vic_F

Vic_F Member

So much for Model S and X remaining the "flagship" cars

• Like x 5
  3. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

How is it possible the Model 3 LR, with roughly the same battery capacity as my car, is able to accept 2.6x the charge rate my car would take originally? It's probably the most surprised I've been a Tesla innovation in quite a while.

Great news for Model 3 LR owners though!

• Like x 1
  4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Lots of learnings have gone into the cooling and configuration of the batteries. Also the battery chemistry has been evolving.

Even things like larger cables from the charge port, though the HV junction box and to the batteries make a big difference.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  5. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

They announced one "innovation".. heating the battery up en route to your Supercharger session, which I have been praying for for some time. Ironic being kind of the opposite of a cooling innovation.

• Like x 3
  6. Verranzo

Verranzo Member

I'm a 2017 75 owner as well.
    But here's my current understanding, which is somewhat guessing atm. V2 has a Amp limit of ~250A per stall/pair (or 300A max soon). With the 75kWh packs we're limited to 350V, which gives a max power of 90kW (300V * 250A). With V3, looks like they can put ~500A into the car at the same voltage, so ideally we'd potentially see a max of 150 kW charging rate. That's assuming the car can even handle that much amperage, and the voltage of the newer car batteries are still ~400V.

I'm guessing newer S / X have possibly been designed for this amperage but super unknown for older models.

• Like x 2
  7. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I’d expect zero increase in charging speed for the 75 battery. I fact I think this is exactly why they discontinued it a few months ago.

• Like x 4
  8. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

I was always a wee bit bitter that Tesla was lazy and didn't give the 75 pack as high a nominal pack voltage as it could have. Smaller modules but more of them, vs fewer modules and fewer in series. Strictly a cost savings measure.

• Like x 2
  9. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

tesla_raj @tesla_raj ( short video of Model 3 on V3 supercharger)
    80% charge limit on V3 supercharger locations only

Probably only put V3 locations within reach of another supercharger on most expected routes. But if you need to go off the beaten path move to a V2 supercharger or CCS or Destination charger or J1772 to top off?

• Informative x 1
  10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

#10 MP3Mike, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Where is your information coming from that it is only for V3 stations? It says "High-usage Supercharger station" not "High-power Supercharger station."

It makes sense that in a heavily used station you would limit people to the faster charging SoCs to keep site throughput high. (Like the 40 minute limit that Tesla was posting at sites.)

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  11. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

blurry video I misread it as high power.

12. immolated

immolated Member

#12 immolated, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Your math is wrong....1000 mph charging on a ~200 watt/mi m3 is a different scale than a 330 watt/mi MS. You have to look at raw KW only, which is 250 kW vs 120 kW (so 2x), they pretty much doubled the supercharger cabinet supply capacity only (and liquid cooled cables), and they're enabling pre-heating which is half the improvement alone. So it's not hard to fathom.

• Like x 1
  13. MP3Mike

Well his 75kWh pack is currently limited to charging at ~90kW. But you're right his math was wrong, but was closer than yours. The Model 3 charges almost 2.8x faster than his Model S. (90kW vs. 250kW)

What we don't know is how much faster Tesla will allow his Model S to charge in the future. (If any faster at all.)

• Like x 3
  14. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Maybe not resistive heat all the time, but just set the cooling to a higher thermal threshold above the 106' F it is now.

15. MP3Mike

I wonder if for the states where they charge per minute if they will add a third tier to the pricing structure, as surely 250kW charging has to cost Tesla more than 120kW charging.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. maximizese

maximizese Member

While this isn't the most amazing news that improves every Tesla directly, it has a lot of indirect advantages. Faster charging times for x% of the population should translate to more stalls available; that also goes for the battery pre-warming as a number of folks roll into Supercharging stalls with "cold" batteries (and wasting potential charging time for everyone). I just hope there will be next-gen battery upgrade available for some of the older Model S owners in the future (though I'm not holding my breath).

• Like x 4
  17. Ketchups

Ketchups Member

"We will increase Model S and X charging speeds via software updates in the coming months."
    "Additionally, we are also unlocking 145kW charge rates for our 12,000+ V2 Superchargers over the coming weeks."

My guess is, as they are unlocking the 145kW rate on the V2s, the S + X batteries may have been designed to tolerate just that.

• Helpful x 1
  18. iTech

iTech Member

Because your 75 has 18650 batteries vs. the 3 having 2170 batteries.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

• Just for Model 3 vehicles after software update for now
    • Model S and Model X to follow later – again through software
    Again - the "flagship" left behind.

• Like x 1
  20. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

FYI. Came across this on youtube.

• Informative x 1