Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7 firmware with autopilot and new UI first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be sad. The UI in the non AP cars looks a little different and has the old style speed/power center dial that we are used to. There are some changes but not bad.

I would really be happy with that.

Form the release notes the former 'hill hold' has been improved. I found it not very reliable and am very happy with the update if it functions as descibed in the release notes.

No V7 here yet, obviously.

I'm torn. The instrument cluster is a serious downgrade for the non autopilot cars. Primarily, the most important gauge, the power meter, now appears useless. I probably won't update for this reason. The 17 inch screen looks amazing however, very sharp, and way more real estate without the useless borders taking up space.

The power meter is identical to old version.

The auto steer and auto change lane on my Dec 2014 P85 with Auto pilot hardware did not work. The icon stayed grayed out and never came on. This is on Highway 50 in Folsom, three lane freeway both directions. I have all the buttons turned on; Autosteer, auto change lane, side collision, lane departure warning.

Guess I am calling Rocklin.

Had the opportunity to give mine a workout today. Drove about 25 miles on the FL turnpike from Palm Beach down to Boca Raton. Worked amazingly well for the most part. I am impressed. See observations below:

1. You need to be patient when using it. You can't zip in between cars and get around people as you would under manual control. This is best used when you just need to cover miles and aren't concerned if you have to go 5mph slower for a mile or two cause some idiot is in your way.

2. As someone else mentioned, it does want to follow exit lanes. During my drive I passed a rest area (service plaza) while in the left lane and it tried to follow the lane into the service plaza (left exit). Had to grab the wheel and take over.

3. It's not rock solid steady. It's making corrections here and there and kinda feels like it's drifting L and R just slightly. If you are one to easily get car sick this might be an issue. It didn't really bother me but it was noticeable.

4. The auto steer and lane change options are set to OFF as default. You need to go turn them on. At least my car was like that.

5. To auto change lanes you need to hold the turn signal until you are about half way over the line before letting it go or else it will go back to the original lane.

6. You need to pull the cruise control stalk twice towards you rapidly to engage auto steer. Simply setting cruise control only activates TACC. The grey steering wheel icon goes blue when done properly.

7. I personally like the UI. To each their own I guess. Looks more futuristic. I set the left side of screen as the trip meter and the right side as the power meter. Shows me everything I want to know. I used to just have the trip meter on the R and media on the L since the power meter was part of the center screen. I also always had the top part of the center console to media. I still keep it that way so the only compromise I had to make was removing the media which was a double display anyway. No biggie.

8. Once my install was done I received a warning that auto steer and drive (don't remember the exact wording) were not available and to call service. I reset both screens and it went away. No issues since.

Overall it is really cool. On my way back from Boca to Palm Beach I never touched the steering wheel. So awesome.

Last edited:
The auto steer and auto change lane on my Dec 2014 P85 with Auto pilot hardware did not work. The icon stayed grayed out and never came on. This is on Highway 50 in Folsom, three lane freeway both directions. I have all the buttons turned on; Autosteer, auto change lane, side collision, lane departure warning.

Did you pull the TACC stalk towards you twice in rapid succession?

I didn't read the instructions either, and for the first 2-3 minutes couldn't figure out why the icon is staying gray and not turning on. Then I started playing with buttons and pulling the TACC stalk, and hey it turned on! After I got to a red light, I pulled up the instructions, and realized that it's 2 pulls in rapid succession.

I did not pull the stalk twice. So I feel stupid now. Guess I should of read the manual.

I will give that a try at lunch.

Thanks

I didn't read the instructions either, and for the first 2-3 minutes couldn't figure out why the icon is staying gray and not turning on. Then I started playing with buttons and pulling the TACC stalk, and hey it turned on! After I got to a red light, I pulled up the instructions, and realized that it's 2 pulls in rapid succession.

I concur with Max. No icon means it's not detecting lanes and not available... but when you see the gray steering wheel it's available to turn on unless something changes in the lanes.

I couldn't get mine to parallel park at all. No P symbol appeared so no parallel parking despite my best efforts.

The power meter is identical to old version.

Pics I've seen show a power meter with ticks at 75, 150 and 300. That is much less detail than the current meter with 20, 40, 80, 160, 320. The detail in the low range is important when you need to conserve energy, or just want to drive efficiently. (There was an image in the first autopilot press kit posting that showed a meter with 10,20,40,80,160,320 power meter -- that would be great, but doesn't look like that made it to release)

EDIT: Yay, one minute before I posted this someone posted the non autopilot UI here. Glad to see it is the same. Will happily update now.

Last edited:

Have you activated it by flipping the cruise control stock twice?
Like activating TACC, but a second time, like a double klick ?

I would really be happy with that.

Form the release notes the former 'hill hold' has been improved. I found it not very reliable and am very happy with the update if it functions as descibed in the release notes.

No V7 here yet, obviously.
I like the new Hold functionality ... it activates on any surface grade and allows you to take your foot off the brake until you are ready to move again.

you have to turn it on in the settings page

Things to consider when using the AP.

1. There is no 'nag' (timer) function as some feared. The car sends you a small 'torque check' when it tells you to take the wheel....you can feel it...
2. Be careful if you take control of the steering that the TACC is still active....like on an exit ramp when you 'grab' the wheel the tacc still has you going at highway speed
3. I am not sure how it will work on 'wet' surfaces. Sure, we realize it will not work in heavy rain BUT after the rain, at night, glare from street lights/headlights *could* make it difficult for the camera to pick up lines.
4. having used it only briefly, it appears that it does best when not only can it pick up lane lines but also when the radar can 'see' the car ahead of you..makes sense.

I like it..Thanks TM..nice addition and as my New England based family would say 'wicked good' :wink:

Racerx22b;1195264 3. It's not rock solid steady. It's making corrections here and there and kinda feels like it's drifting L and R just slightly. If you are one to easily get car sick this might be an issue. It didn't really bother me but it was noticeable. 5. To auto change lanes you need to hold the turn signal until you are about half way over the line before letting it go or else it will go back to the original lane. [/QUOTE said:
For #3, is this going to be an issue with the highway patrol thinking the driver is drunk?

For #5, you can't just turn the signal on and have the car turn it off after the lane is changed?

you can't just turn the signal on and have the car turn it off after the lane is changed?
The car will only change one lane at a time, meaning that when you activate the turn signal by pulling it all the way up or down (so that it stays on once you take your fingers off the stalk) within about a second the car will move one lane over. The turn signal will remain on. You have to turn it off. Repeat the process to initiate another lane change.
Of curse you need to visually check the lane you want to change into to make sure it is safe before you activate the turn signal.
I think this is a very sensible first implementation of Auto Lane Change.