Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V8.0 Autopilot Lane Change Cutting Off Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently drove over 700 miles much of which using Autopilot and found my car was frequently cutting off vehicles during a lane change (to a much greater extent than V7.1). The sensors did not to see vehicles on my left and right flank which I believe they had in V7.1. I've not seen much discussion of this in recent forums. Are other people having similar experiences? Or have suggestions? Thanks.

I've never had this problem, because I always look and make sure it's safe to make a Autopilot lane change (i.e. no cars near). With that said, however, I did notice that the side sensors seemed to be more sensitive when my suspension was set to the very low setting. The sensors were also more sensitive when a motorcycle was in/near the blind spot area (showing red on the screen). Usually cars in this area don't even register. So maybe if you set your suspension lower, it would work better.

Reactions: Kalud and jerjozwik
My AP is awful now. Constant weaving in the lane.

That's strange because I'm not experiencing any of those problems. I find 8.0 is smoother on curves, lane changes are safe and smoother, and lane changes on a curve are much better. I don't have the weaving issue either. A number of months ago, a number of posts, mine included, discussed the effect of the power steering setting on lane stability. Everyone reported that the lowest steering effort setting ("comfort") produced smoother AP characteristics than the "standard" or "sport" settings. You might want to try that.

During a test drive of a P90D with 8.0 (my car is now on order), the gallery advisor gave me a whole bunch of disclaimers about AP. The most poignant to me was about lane changes - he said that I should check and double check for a fast approaching car in the desired lane, because "when [ I ] activate the directional, as soon as there isn't a car in the blind spot it will move over." It stuck with me because in driver's ed you are taught to signal while checking, not after you've checked.

This is something being addressed with Enhanced AP but I guess the purpose of my post is to say that it shouldn't be unexpected. If it worked better in 7.1, I have nothing to contribute.

Edit: And if the GA was incorrect, then I am sorry for only sharing faulty information. Salesfolks aren't perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: openwyder
I recently drove over 700 miles much of which using Autopilot and found my car was frequently cutting off vehicles during a lane change (to a much greater extent than V7.1). The sensors did not to see vehicles on my left and right flank which I believe they had in V7.1. I've not seen much discussion of this in recent forums. Are other people having similar experiences? Or have suggestions? Thanks.
you should not be depending on AP to drive the car without your being ever vigilant, if you are making lane changes without checking that the lane is open to change into, it is YOU and not the car that is at fault. sorry to be so harsh but sometimes reality is harsh.

I am on AP 8.0 and I find the AP Lane Change smoother than AP 7.x. I haven't tested the changes with the Steering comfort setting as suggested by @ptsagcy. I agree that AP/LC may not be "seeing" cars outside of its blindspot or like @Gig103 quoted, about the fast approaching cars. As such I always check my blind-spots as I would with a non-AP car, before letting my MX change lanes.

Admittedly, I have had multiple instances when the lane change did not occur, even though there weren't any cars in the blind spot. I have had to turn my turn-signal off and turn it back on which initiated the lane change the second time. Anyone else had similar experiences ?

@DougH - I have had AP 8.0 waver within the lanes and at times get dangerously close to the sides, not sure how to fix that.

"when [ I ] activate the directional, as soon as there isn't a car in the blind spot it will move over." It stuck with me because in driver's ed you are taught to signal while checking, not after you've checked.
Exactly. Hence why the AP lane change does not make sense to me. The whole purpose of turning on your turn indicator is to give approaching cars notice of your intent so they can act appropriately. Using AP for lane changes violates this basic tenant.

Reactions: Soolim
Exactly. Hence why the AP lane change does not make sense to me. The whole purpose of turning on your turn indicator is to give approaching cars notice of your intent so they can act appropriately. Using AP for lane changes violates this basic tenant.
In real world, I find it annoying (and rude) when the cars next to me start signaling before they are clear. It would scare the hell out of me that they are about to switch into my lane, while in their blind spots. So, it's logical that we only signal AFTER checking the surrounding.

So, it's logical that we only signal AFTER checking the surrounding
You should check before signaling, but you should also signal your intentions because sometimes others have exactly the same idea you do. Plus there are plenty of yahoos out there that are exceeding the speed limit and come up on you faster than they should. Signaling will possibly give them a heads up before they take you out.

Nobody uses their blinkers in So Cal, it gives everyone a notice to close the gap and block you from changing lanes. This sounds like a joke, but unfortunately, it's not.

Hmmm, sounds like they're not using it right. That happens when the blinker is used to "ask permission" to come over instead of used to indicate "I'm coming over so you can plan whatever".

I am on AP 8.0 and I find the AP Lane Change smoother than AP 7.x. I haven't tested the changes with the Steering comfort setting as suggested by @ptsagcy. I agree that AP/LC may not be "seeing" cars outside of its blindspot or like @Gig103 quoted, about the fast approaching cars. As such I always check my blind-spots as I would with a non-AP car, before letting my MX change lanes.

Admittedly, I have had multiple instances when the lane change did not occur, even though there weren't any cars in the blind spot. I have had to turn my turn-signal off and turn it back on which initiated the lane change the second time. Anyone else had similar experiences ?

@DougH - I have had AP 8.0 waver within the lanes and at times get dangerously close to the sides, not sure how to fix that.
Last weekend, for the very first time, my turn-signal did not initiate a lane change. I was very confused since the lane was very clear. I turned off AutoPilot and performed the lane change myself and then turned it back on. Tried it again 5 minutes later and it began to work fine again. This is the only time I've had this issue. It would be nice if the vehicle provided some sort of feedback to indicate that it felt it was unsafe to perform the lane change at this time.

In real world, I find it annoying (and rude) when the cars next to me start signaling before they are clear. It would scare the hell out of me that they are about to switch into my lane, while in their blind spots. So, it's logical that we only signal AFTER checking the surrounding.
Yes, but I think humans are just a bit slower. I usually put in my turn signal right when I check the blind spot and then it takes me a short moment before I actually turn the steering wheel. A computer is just much faster doing all this pretty much at once.

I tried AP in V8 Sunday for the first time. I must say that the lane change feature works much better for me now. It seems smoother and more natural. Before I thought the car was jerking from lane to lane and had little confidence it really knew what it was doing. Plus I also had a lot of aborted lane changes before if I turned the signal off before I was firmly in the middle of the new lane. That does not happen with V8 for me. Once it moves into the new lane, it seems to commit.

Driving in Hawaii may change the way you think about turn signals. Locals will almost always slow down and make room for someone signaling to get over. Probably one of the few places where turn signals work as intended.