Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V8 - I'm very happy, how do you feel about it?

My feeling about V8 so far

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@u00mem9 - I love 8.0 and I use autopilot all the time. No, I do not enjoy the increased nags (though there is a solution to completely eliminate them...) but the actual performance of 8.0 is incredible and much improved over 7.1 - seeing two cars ahead, better lane centering, smoother and earlier braking, lane offsetting (doesn't always work but frequently does) when someone intrudes in your lane.

Reactions: u00mem9
Cali that's good info. I would gladly try it if I could downgrade if I didn't like it. Lots of conflicting reports on AP performance better/worse so I imagine it depends on the type of roads in each user's area.

Bird in the hand I guess. BTW, I'm also doing the no nags mod :D

So is it the increased AP nags you enjoy?
Or for some the decrease in AP functionality?

I haven't experienced "increased AP nags". I drive with my hands on the wheel and am aware of APs abilities. Once I saw the flashing light around the dash display.

As to the "decrease in AP functionality", I don't notice that either. It works just as it always has, to my enfeebled mind. It drives down the road between the lines. I actually think it is better at figuring out the line of travel when one of the lines goes off for a turn lane, don't you? I understood that AP had 200 improvements in v. 8.0.

As to your insistence that AP is worse now, and your desire to warn any and all others about AP, everything I read that AP can't do is only exacerbated by people who want to ignore how it was meant to be used. As to the insistence that the nags are worse: We have been told to hold the wheel, but some people insist that means laying a hand on a leg and lightly touching the wheel, or just being close enough to grab it if it seems necessary. The nags are meant to tell these people that they are not driving as per design. How clear can that be?

I don't have any problems with AP. But I understand that some people are wired to find problems, and understanding that, I understand that some may be more relaxed and not as concerned.

Reactions: EinSV
I guess I must join the bandwagon of not liking V8. V7 was bad especially coming from a non-AP perspective and for some reason V8 manages to pile on that and make things even worse.

The last V6 was simply put the best, most coherent and intuitive Tesla UI so far. I understand those with AP may feel differently about parts (especially about AP itself), but this is how I see the UI and time hasn't changed it really.

It is not that I dislike the appearance so much as I dislike the downgraded usability. V8 window swapping is just inconsistent compared to the easy V6/V7 window swapping and re-sizing, for example.

V7/V8 instrument cluster is an inconsistent mess on a non-AP car. The widgets are mostly pointless (V8 even brought in scrolling texts for radio channels that transmit them, catching my eye in the instrument cluster of all places! why? why?) and poor - and all that useful info has been removed that used to be there in V6. The toy car is absolutely pointless and the turn signal icons have been moved downwards so they are harder to see than in V6...

One really silly example on non-AP V7/V8 cars is the odometer. When does one usually need it? When not driving - when filling out some paperwork, be it a logbook, insurance, whatever. When is it visible in V7/V8? Only when driving! It used to be visible all the time, now it is only visible when driving the car.

I can not tell you how many times I've had to sit back in the driver's seat and engage D mode to see the odometer - only to find out the car is plugged in and now I have to unplug it, go back in and put the car on D to see the odometer. (This info is not available through the app either, where it again would be very useful.) In V6, all I had to do was open the door and the instrument cluster would show it and other info...

The same with time, date, battery info, these things are just harder to find on V7/V8 than they used to be on V6. And now on V8 operating the big screen windows is harder as well, because the original swapping logic was replaced by an abomination - and the auto-hiding button row is hardly very reactive in returning either.

All this amounts to me having to make more effort and distract myself from other things (the traffic included) more often in V7/V8 software than I used to in V6 software.

Last edited:
I didn't receive the earliest versions of 8.0. But the latest copy I have now I'm generally happy with. I do appreciate their efforts to make improvements.

My only concern is that they continue to make efforts to fix the various issues others have reported having.

I don't have AP so I can't comment on that.