Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, yes, V9 is coming soon but missing a number of features, and also hardware dependent upon what features one will get. The link below shows what's upcoming: Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (v9.0 early release?)

I was hoping to have the dashcam but won't have mine has 2.0 hardware (requires 2.5). I gather that most of the autopilot stuff won't happen in Canada for a few months either. I'm on the fence about some of the screen revisions too although I'll wait for hands-on to make a clear judgement.

Putting this into perspective, I'm driving the car I bought that day 'as is'. The promise of new features did not factor into my purchasing decision. Any upgrades is seen as a bonus.

No other car manufacturers 'upgrade' their cars like Tesla after POS.

This is old-world thinking. New tech hardware companies (including Tesla) are now selling you a platform with the promise (implicit or explicit) of years of software improvements. This is the new Apple model and many companies are adapting this idea. I think it makes a lot of sense because of the huge mismatch between hardware and software cycles.

One future option for Tesla would be to consider having a software subscription. For example, instead of charging $6600 up front for EAP, if you pay $1000/yr you get access to EAP as well as software updates for as long as your vehicle is supported. This gives Tesla an on-going recurring monthly revenue stream, even for existing car owners.

So, yes, V9 is coming soon but missing a number of features, and also hardware dependent upon what features one will get. The link below shows what's upcoming: Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (v9.0 early release?)

I was hoping to have the dashcam but won't have mine has 2.0 hardware (requires 2.5). I gather that most of the autopilot stuff won't happen in Canada for a few months either. I'm on the fence about some of the screen revisions too although I'll wait for hands-on to make a clear judgement.

The specs suck, I'm somewhat surprised Tesla turned their AP cameras into a dashcam. A bad interface, a one hour recording time, front only. WTF?

I already have a dual channel dashcam installed, and when I heard about V9 I thought maybe I'd take it out and move it to my other car. No chance of that now...

The specs suck, I'm somewhat surprised Tesla turned their AP cameras into a dashcam. A bad interface, a one hour recording time, front only. WTF?

I already have a dual channel dashcam installed, and when I heard about V9 I thought maybe I'd take it out and move it to my other car. No chance of that now...
Chill.

Its not like they will stop imporving the software...

I have no issue with screen changes, but I am annoyed that Canada does not get the same summon features as the US and now 9.0 features being US only as well as early release. There is enough variation in US traffic patterns, light standards etc that maybe other than Quebec should not be an issue. Nor does it stop a US car from entering Canada. I might just change my address to USA.

Reactions: pcons
I have no issue with screen changes, but I am annoyed that Canada does not get the same summon features as the US and now 9.0 features being US only as well as early release. There is enough variation in US traffic patterns, light standards etc that maybe other than Quebec should not be an issue. Nor does it stop a US car from entering Canada. I might just change my address to USA.

I wonder what organization is responsible for the differences? Is it because of federal legislation or provincial? The differences are surprising given the more litigious nature of the US. I would love to have the same functionality that the US gets because limiting summon as they do in Canada makes it almost non-functional anyway. Half the time it doesn't work (key proximity issues) as well as just how downright slow it is to activate. Still, it's usable functionality I wish that we could fully exploit.

Reactions: yyzunderdog
I wonder what organization is responsible for the differences? Is it because of federal legislation or provincial? The differences are surprising given the more litigious nature of the US. I would love to have the same functionality that the US gets because limiting summon as they do in Canada makes it almost non-functional anyway. Half the time it doesn't work (key proximity issues) as well as just how downright slow it is to activate. Still, it's usable functionality I wish that we could fully exploit.
I believe it’s federal, but I don’t know which department would be responsible.