Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver Supercharger location confirmed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... Urban Superchargers would absolutely be useful for urban dwellers. If overusage is an issue, Tesla should simply do what they should have done from the start: make us pay to use them.

Congrats for escaping stratahell.

Completely disagree with the pay per use (ppu) notion. No need, as Tesla has committed to DENSITY as well as to DISTANCE for years now. For starters, see more here: How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging? .

The free charging model will hold up just fine in the urban areas as long as Tesla commits to stay ahead of demand, which, since they have 100% access to those metrics, becomes a matter of planning and user education. Considerably easier than, say, putting people on Mars.

Glad Vancouver is getting an SC finally - charging in Squamish and elsewhere in that beautiful province seemed somewhat tangential by comparison. I may have to make it up there for the Tragically Hip tour after all.

This is a case where it is necessary to make a distinction between what is good for you personally, and what is good for the environment and the future of EVs. Handing out free energy is in no way an economically sustainable practice for any car company, and it is not an environmentally sustainable practice either. Energy, and the associated carbon emissions, has a cost and the end-user should always bear the cost directly.

In areas where electricity is primarily coal-sourced, Tesla is literally paying to burn coal on our behalf. Tesla drivers, urban or rural, have no incentive to not consume as much as possible. We've all spent close to $100k on a car -- we don't need free electricity.

I'd much rather see Tesla charge users per kWh (or mile, or minute, or whatever they have to do to get around local resale prohibitions) and add the revenue to their bottom line, and increase the likelihood that they will remain a going concern long into the future and be able to afford further SC build-out (which frankly seems to have stalled lately).

I took a look at your other thread and it seems that your objection stems from the loss of convenience if PPU were introduced. Tesla being Tesla, I would assume they'd do it properly and leverage the authentication that already occurs between the car and the SC every time you connect. That way there should be no added hassle when charging -- just plug in and charge as always, and receive a bill at the end of the month.

I love not having to pay for my $10 worth of electricity as much as anyone else, but I fully realize that it is only possible due to the fact that there are so few of us. That will change, and as it does, the free-for-all model will need to change as well.

Mike

• Disagree
Reactions: Nauti-Boy
Handing out free energy is in no way an economically sustainable practice for any car company, and it is not an environmentally sustainable practice either. Energy, and the associated carbon emissions, has a cost and the end-user should always bear the cost directly.

I disagree. The "free" energy you cite has actually been paid for in the price of the vehicle. Plus, I see the incentive as getting away from burning gas to, in my case, mostly consuming rain water since our power is mostly hydro derived. The "free" is a perk of driving electric. Every time I tell someone Supercharging is "free" for the life of my vehicle, it makes them more interested in buying a Tesla and getting away from burning gas. Plus, I charge at night, when more water is diverted to going over the dam, and not being turned into energy because of less demand. I rarely charge during peak energy hours. Also, many people here charge using solar, Tesla has plans for solar on their Supercharger sites, and the more we move to electric the more options we have to use solar and wind. You have absolutely zero option to use renewables with an ICE. The coal equivalent to electricity is also much cleaner than burning gas in your own ICE as you drive around town.

Also, I drive about the same with my Tesla that I did with my ICE except that I might consider driving somewhere on a trip rather than flying in which case I consume less CO2. I bet that's the same for most people here. So again, free Supercharging for trips = less CO2 emissions compared to flying.

Whatever we can do to move people to electric is A MUST in my book. My only problem with free Supercharging is congestion at the Supercharger sites during peak travel times but I am hoping that adding more stations will solve that problem, if it is even a problem.

I love not having to pay for my $10 worth of electricity as much as anyone else, but I fully realize that it is only possible due to the fact that there are so few of us. That will change, and as it does, the free-for-all model will need to change as well.

Mike

If you want ppu, then by all means, use a Chademo. Your cost of entry will be ~$500 for the adapter (delivered, with tax) plus however much you wish to pay for the sessions.

There is no free for all model. Going forward, you will have the option to pay one time or not at all. Ppu will do nothing to reduce congestion as there are already numerous one-time payers. Further, there is no problem today at 97% of SCs, nor will there be a chronic problem at those SCs. Of course there will be ebbs and flows during peak holiday periods, just as there are at the neighborhood Costco.

The biggest problem in areas of density is and will be ICEing by our own (and of course by ICEs, although during a 12,000 mile road trip this past month I saw that only twice). Saw it again yesterday by a known livery driver who seems to think it's ok to take his midday 90-minute break when he needs only an hour of charging at most. Bad practice today, and bad practice tomorrow - real quick way to turn an 8-stall SC into a 1-stall SC no better than the neighborhood Chademo.

Insofar as big picture resources and global health go, Canuck is absolutely correct. In time (not exactly soon, but "soon"), solar will supplant combustibles. When I was at the Powerwall event in Hawthorne, and you may remember the graphic, it was pretty striking to see that little speck in Kansas with Elon noting if said speck was covered in solar panels, it would power the entire country. Driving south into Los Angeles through the desert, you quite literally can't see the end of the solar farms that are already built - they are huuuuuuuuuuge, and even so are barely the beginning of what's to come. A little closer to home, at some point, SCs will be at the least solar-assisted at many (obviously not all) locations - Quartzsite, Arizona, for example. Twin Falls, Idaho... anywhere with cheap real estate, really.

As for density (e.g., Vancouver or Los Angeles County), you either trust in Tesla to manage density demand or you don't. So far, they have. Most owners don't use SCs, and a large percentage of Model 3s won't opt for SCability in the first place. And so it goes. I'm not saying they won't experiment with ppu at some point well down the road (at about 1,000,000 vehicles as Messrs Straubel et alia noted). I just don't think it will happen first in North America, nor for years yet.

It's a problem no matter where you put a SC in Vancouver.
Since the city is the largest urban centre in the western world without a freeway system, it will be an inconvenience no matter where you put it.
Highway 1 starts outside of the city and doesn't run through it.
Perhaps a SC near Boundary road and Hwy 1 would be the best spot or further out near Burnaby or Coquitlam.

I'm not saying they won't experiment with ppu at some point well down the road (at about 1,000,000 vehicles as Messrs Straubel et alia noted). I just don't think it will happen first in North America, nor for years yet.

Well that sure turned out to be a wrong prediction.

It's a problem no matter where you put a SC in Vancouver.
Since the city is the largest urban centre in the western world without a freeway system, it will be an inconvenience no matter where you put it.

I don't see it that way. I see the one for Vancouver meaning "greater" Vancouver or the "lower mainland." We don't need a supercharger for people living in Vancouver. We need it for people travelling to or through Vancouver. There's a ton of places (parking lots with fast food, shops, hotels, etc.) along the number one highway from Surrey to Burnaby where you can put superchargers that are within easy entrance/exit from the number one highway. You don't need the superchargers to be in Kits, Kerrisdale, downtown, etc. That makes no sense for ease of travel.

Reactions: CSFTN
No it doesn't. It runs by the eastern part by Boundary and Hastings and up to North Van. It doesn't run downtown for instance like most cities do.

You've changed the goalposts. It clearly does run through Vancouver. Granted, it does not run through downtown Vancouver but that's not what @Porfiry was replying to. He was replying to:

Highway 1 starts outside of the city and doesn't run through it.

Actually, Highway 1 does run through Vancouver.

You can't say "no it doesn't" when the map he showed you clearly shows the number 1 west of Boundary road which is inside "the city" of Vancouver.

A SC on Hwy 1 is the only answer. NOT downtown or on Kingsway etc.

Agreed.

A Supercharger around Vancouver would be a disaster if it isn't at the Service center. People would be hoarding Supercharger spots like free road salt at firehalls. It would make sense to have it at the service center for when Model 3 starts rolling off the line and they need to charge up those 3's for out of town customers. The SC in Burlington, Hope and Squamish in this subzero winter weather still allows a 60kW Tesla reaching each SC with lots of range remaining. A majority of Vancouverites are not as considerate as most people on the Tesla Motors Club forums, but if thousands of Model 3 owners and current free for life Tesla owners act like SC are "free road salt'" then putting a SC other than at the service center will be trouble waiting to happen. I know people will argue that it is out of the way if the SC is in Kits and some condo living people say it is too expensive for installing a charger or that the condo board denied a charging application, but there are enough places to charge in Vancouver.

Reactions: Soolim and RAM_Eh
Tesla to open new store in Park Royal, West Vancouver. Given the number of Tesla owners in West Vancouver it just makes sense.

Park Royal | West Vancouver Shopping Centre

Tesla to Open First West Coast Mall Store

Signage went up Friday afternoon for a new Tesla store at the Park Royal shopping centre in West Vancouver. The store will be located in the centre’s outdoor ‘Park Royal South’ component, next to Old Navy. Tesla will replace retail units for Lenscrafters and Pinkberry, and will be just over 2,900 square feet in size. Brodie Henrichsen, Principal at brokerage Northwest Atlantic, acted on behalf of Tesla in lease negotiations with Park Royal landlord Larco Investments.

West Vancouver is one of Canada’s wealthiest communities, with home prices among the highest in the country. The city is also known for its luxury automobiles, with one out of every 142 residents owning a luxury car priced in excess of $150,000. The entire Vancouver region is also considered to be the ‘luxury car capital of North America’, in terms of luxury car density.

(CLICK ABOVE FOR INTERACTIVE GOOGLE MAP)

(CLICK IMAGE TO DOWNLOAD PDF FLOOR PLAN)

(TESLA STOREFRONT AT PARK ROYAL)

Tesla also operates two Vancouver stores — a smaller location at 929 Robson Street that opened in 2014, as well as an 18,500 square foot store and service centre in the Kitsilano area.

Tesla currently operates eight Canadian stores. Besides the two Vancouver locations, Tesla’s stores are in Toronto (x 2), Oakville ON, Calgary, Montreal and Quebec City. The Montreal store/sales centre is the largest in North America, spanning an impressive 45,000 square feet. The Quebec City sales centre is by appointment only. The company’s other two mall-based stores are at Toronto’s Yorkdale Shopping Centre (Tesla’s first store in Canada), and at Calgary’s CF Chinook Centre. More locations will be announced this year as the company continues to penetrate the Canadian market.

• Informative
Reactions: Colsla and Lon12
I just completed a 8000 mile drive from Prince Rupert to San Clemente via BC ferry from Rupert to Port Hardy. Driving down to Victoria. Then ferry to Port Angles. Driving the rest of the way down the 101 to San Clemente, California. Mesa, Arizona, then to the Grand Canyon, over to Vegas and then working our way home back to Cali and up to Portland m, then to Vancouver back to Nanaimo, and then up island to Port Hardy to ferry home.

BC needs Superchargers along highways. Vancouver is littered with level two chargers and some level 3 showing. The level 2's needs to stop, all future installations should be level 3.

For the amount of driving one does in the city, if living down town, Any level of charger will be sufficient for day to day use of any EV. A 20 amp service on any building will give sufficient charge for daily use. Am I wrong? How far are you driving down town? In any apt I've lived in there were 120 plugs in the garage or parking lot. Some of the older west ends Apts as well have 120v 15/20A plugs out side. I live in the far north, I charge at home on 20 amps and drive 170 km 4-5 days a week with out issues.

SC should be placed so that, inter municipal diving can be easily acheviable. Not 10 plus hour stops to make it from one municipality to the next. Once you are out of the lower mainland (LM), the average distance between community is 150 km plus. For example from Squamish SC to Hope SC its 218 km. This makes it possible to travel and stop for 15-20 min to continue.

Stop before you rant. Yes a SC DT van would be great. But putting the selfishness aside. It's not needed, as there are many options for EV stations, yes there will be more needed, and they will come. New builds will have EV spots, and each community will continue to add more.

Enabling all of BC residents to drive EV's for day to day use, its impatrtive to open all our highways to reasonable charging times. Most but a handful of community's out of the LM have chargers and if they do, they are of insufficient amperage to make any travel reasonable time wise. (Vancouver to Rupert 4 days and 9 hours normally 18 hours) it is the same issue travelling Vancouver island. Victoria to port hardy 10 hours. If two EV's are to make the trip to catch the ferry to Rupert from Port Hardy. Only one can make it. I left on the 1st ferry from horseshoe bay 6:30am to Nanaimo, with a full charge, I topped up at the chademo at the PNE the night before. Drove to the ferry got off in Nanaimo topped up again at the chademo. Drove to Cortney stopped at the best western, they have a sun country 69amp 2.5 hours and I had enough to make it to Port Hardy. If there was one other EV trying to make this same ferry and had beat me to either of the chargers I would have not made the ferry.

This ferry transports 10's of thousands in the summers. People's from all over doing the BC trip and the Alaska routes. Currently one EV per ferry.

So Supercharges should be placed along the main highways leaving/entering community's. All of the places I charged on my 8000 mile drive are so, with exception to California. As Californi has the population of Canada! Once the province is able to be travelled in a reasonable charging time frame, then the placement of SC in DT should be considered.

To me what makes sense is opening up PG . Placing a SC in Williams Lake and PG would be a logical placement, or Vic or Nanaimo and Courtney. This would enable travel from eastern Alberta, interior of BC and the lower mainland as well as Whistler. Allow many more BC residents the ability to drive EV's and place more pressure on our city's, governments to place municipal chargers, change biulding codes to manditory instalations of 15-40's and minicipul stations all of which should be level 3 at a minimum.

There are a lot of 6 kW public chargers in the Vancouver area, but they are of limited use to visitors for a couple of reasons:
1. EVs have become increasingly popular in Vancouver and it has become noticeably more difficult to find an unoccupied charger in the city.
2. Those 6 kW chargers are very slow. At best, parking at public chargers is limited to 3 hours in the daytime. If you need a significant charge (to, for example, get out of town to the nearest supercharger), you are going to be spending considerable time during your visit tending to the charging of your vehicle.

The short term solution to 1 is to start billing for the usage of all public chargers at a high enough rate that locals will choose to charge at home. Long term requires many more chargers, or significantly faster chargers - all pay to use.

The solution to 2 is high speed charging. You could spend half an hour charging per visit to the city and be done with it, rather than spending a day babysitting a charging vehicle.

Currently, if you are spending the night in Vancouver, your best solution is to stay somewhere that offers charging to guests only. That way you have a very good chance of waking up to a vehicle with enough charge to get you out of town. Almost a guarantee if your hotel offers valet charging. If you are planning on using chargers available to the general public, good luck to you. More and more often you will find those occupied by another vehicle (or others will find you there) overnight, and it's likely to be at least a few blocks away from where you are staying.

I don't think that a supercharger in the middle of a congested city is a good idea. Maybe for locals that can not charge elsewhere, but not for visitors. Rather, superchargers at the main entrance/exit points to the city make more sense for travelers. At this point in time, to me, Guilford, South Surrey (White Rock or south of Massey Tunnel area), and Caulfield (near Horseshoe Bay) seem like good options. Close enough in that you won't need much range to get back out to them. Far enough out that won't be instantly over subscribed by locals. On primary access routes to the city.

Reactions: doubeld