Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vandalism by 'Muricans Caught on Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, somebody key your car, 1 year in jail. You better start building jails !
Common sense ?
These guys repeatedly keyed the car, stepped back and admired their work, and then dented the door as a final goodbye. They were committing vandalism just for fun. A year in jail? Who said a year in jail? But if I was their judge they had better both convince me of their regret or else I wouldn’t hesitate to lock them up for a few days, if sentencing guidelines permitted.

PS While the CBS Sacramento tv station was surely just following policy, it is a shame they blurred the guys faces. It would be nice if their friends, family, bosses and work colleagues could see them at play on reality tv.

Last edited:
In jail? No, just a heavy fine.

I think so. If people know they may be on camera and know that if they get caught they will be paying 10k in fines, that's a huge deterrent.
My 2 cents on the discussion:
1) The more the news of Tesla capturing your face the better. Hopefully it will be a deterrent
2) I'm absolutely against jail time. Too costly for the community and not solving a lot
3) I'm 100% in for a big fine and a lot of time to be spend doing social services (cleaning roads, supporting shelters etc...).
4) the fine should not be a predefined value (10KUSD?) but a percentage of the annual income with a minimum for instance of 10KUSD. And BTW since the fine will be a percentage of the income then an immediate IRS audit (cost of it will be covered by the fine)

I honestly think the vast majority of people that do this sort of thing aren't in poverty. People that are really struggling aren't as likely to risk blowing up their life for something like this.
Right - what will hurt these vandals are $$$$ - heavy fine & a criminal record affecting future employment or access to other privileges not accessible to felons.

Alright! Getting my popcorn heated up. 99% sure they’ll be identified an possibly arrested today.

The more coverage of sentry mode the better.
No one is going to arrest anyone for keying a car in CA, unfortunately. Let's curb our hopes. Cars are getting broken into left and right and no one is batting an eye.

Social "shaming" of such individuals explicitly is all one can hope for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sherlo
No one is going to arrest anyone for keying a car in CA, unfortunately. Let's curb our hopes. Cars are getting broken into left and right and no one is batting an eye.

Social "shaming" of such individuals explicitly is all one can hope for.
It's different when you hand the cops a video and they know the identity. Not putting a detective on a case of a missing laptop makes some sort of sense, but this kind of thing is a gimme.

Vandalism is worse than stealing in my book. Stealing, ok sure, you are trying to feed a drug habit or pay your rent or whatever. Vandalism is just pointless.

I see this as having the possibility of being both good and bad.

The good - some folks may be more cautious around Tesla's now.
The bad - this may provoke additional low-life's to tempt fate, and make it a point to see if they will go viral or if they can get away with it...

Surely the folks in the posted video will be found and there will be some repercussions. Whether it's legal, or whether they lose their jobs (assuming they are employed), there's surely no way they'll actually get away clean.

It's different when you hand the cops a video and they know the identity. Not putting a detective on a case of a missing laptop makes some sort of sense, but this kind of thing is a gimme.

Vandalism is worse than stealing in my book. Stealing, ok sure, you are trying to feed a drug habit or pay your rent or whatever. Vandalism is just pointless.

In principle, I agree with you completely and sincerely hope that I am proven wrong each time, because mishaps like these are heartbreaking for the owners.

But the reality is that cars and property perceived as luxury/expensive/different will always be subject to unnecessary/unwanted/negative attention no matter where you are in the world - especially where the socioeconomic gap is pervasive.

If we fit a camera in all these premium vehicles overnight and they start sending in captured videos of every act of vandalism, who do you think will be overwhelmed first? the law enforcement or the vandals? :)

But if people like us, who are on social media a lot, identify these individuals and shame them socially, it might prove to be more effective than having the law enforcement chase them to get them behind bars/fined.

In principle, I agree with you completely and sincerely hope that I am proven wrong each time, because mishaps like these are heartbreaking for the owners.

But the reality is that cars and property perceived as luxury/expensive/different will always be subject to unnecessary/unwanted/negative attention no matter where you are in the world - especially where the socioeconomic gap is pervasive.

If we fit a camera in all these premium vehicles overnight and they start sending in captured videos of every act of vandalism, who do you think will be overwhelmed first? the law enforcement or the vandals? :)

But if people like us, who are on social media a lot, identify these individuals and shame them socially, it might prove to be more effective than having the law enforcement chase them to get them behind bars/fined.
It doesn't really require many resources. You know the guys, you have the video, just issue them tickets like we do with red light cameras. :)