TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Vandals smashed FWD window

Discussion in 'Model X' started by RogueCat, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RogueCat

RogueCat Member

I parked in a very public parking lot and returned 2 hours later and found the left passenger door window smashed and nothing taken from the car. I'm wondering how long I can expect to wait for a replacement window.

Has anyone had experience with window replacement?

-----
    Circular Conversation with Insurance Rep

When I called the insurance company, the representative asked if I had a preferred auto glass repair shop. I said the Tesla Service Center. The rep asked if the Tesla Service Center was a dealership. I said not exactly, because Tesla does not have dealerships.

Then the person asked if it was an independent repair shop. I said no, its part of Tesla. The person again asked if it was the dealership. The rep didn't know what Teslas are and how they are sold. I wasn't sure how to explain this.

The result is that I have to speak with someone with the Bid Team and tell the person I need OEM glass. model-x-broken-window.JPG

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I'm sure the rep was just as confused and trying to help you out. The conversation should've gone like this:
    Rep: Is "Tesla Service Center" a dealership?
    You: No, Tesla doesn't have dealerships BUT you could think of that as an extension of the manufacturer and the best experts for this car.
    Rep: Well, we find that dealerships .. yadda yadda..

Likely the Rep is just following script for the cheapest way out and going for OEM glass is considered too expensive.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Maximus-MX

Maximus-MX Member

Sorry to hear that. You might want to install 360 degrees dashcam. I installed 2 sets of Blackvue 750s (4 cameras). Probably, the perpetrator is some kind of low life, but it feels good to capture him/her on HD video.

• Like x 2
  4. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

I had a smashed window when visiting San Francisco several months ago (only item taken was an iPhone charging cord) - the Tesla service center in downtown SF had it fixed in 2 days. I paid a $100 deductible and my insurance paid $200.

• Helpful x 1
  5. RogueCat

RogueCat Member

Thanks! Good to know. I'm in Berkeley.

6. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Really sorry to hear this. When it happened to me, the Tesla service center in Sunnyvale fixed it within 2 days as well. They had the window glass and trim in stock, likely because this happens so often.

You are not alone. The SF Bay Area is undergoing an epidemic of these car window smashings. Often this includes folding down a rear seat to see if there are valuables in the trunk area.

13 cars broken into last night, for laptops - costco sunnyvale parking lot

Car broken into, items in trunk stolen.

• Like x 2
  7. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

can you post a pic? i'm interested in channels 3 & 4 mounting points...

8. Maximus-MX

Maximus-MX Member

The cameras are set up like this: main camera goes to the front and smaller one (“rear camera”) goes to the driver side window. The second main camera goes to the rear and it’s smaller pair goes to the passenger side window. The side window cameras show you the pictures/videos horizontally, but you will get used to it.

E1965AE9-7C8C-48D0-BC24-471EAC660706.jpeg A966494F-4AE9-46EF-905C-A515DB1CB634.jpeg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. hollywood

hollywood Member

Seems like more stuff for the burglar to steal... Unless you feel cameras are deterrents. Seems more incentive than anything. Then again, I'm not a thief and can only speculate.

10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Looks pretty bad! I had this happen in my ICE in SF on Christmas Eve. Had to drive back to SoCal without a window since no shops were open

11. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

oh wow! this is an interesting set-up, i was expecting perhaps them being mounted to point out the side of the FWD's...i would love an out-of-the-box 4-5 channel camera so that i could also have a cabin facing camera for the interior view...

12. RogueCat

RogueCat Member

Thanks everyone for the replies and letting me and the community know that the service on window replacement has been good. I was very sad, but glad to know that it's not difficult to do.

13. Maximus-MX

Maximus-MX Member

#13 Maximus-MX, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Have one of those in car hotspots (such as FreedomPop), connect your dash cam to it for uninterrupted cloud connection, even when you are away from home/work. You will get real time alert whenever an "incident" happens. Plus, you have live feed on demand and cloud recording. Not sure if it is deterrent enough, but I also have stickers on the windows that say, "WARNING: video and audio recording in progress."

• Like x 1
  14. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

@RogueCat, I'm curious. Did you get any "alarm" notifications from your Tesla phone App? I also wonder if there was any alarm emitted from the Tesla too, but I suspect you were too far away to notice.

15. Lbkmxp100d

Lbkmxp100d Member

I wonder if the vehicles AP cameras are recording when car is off (I assume not). Would be worth a call to Tesla to verify so you could send to PD to try and catch the low life’s responsible.

16. boelkers

boelkers Member

From what I've heard, Teslas did not originally ship with glass break sensors in their security package for US customers. I'm not sure if that has changed.

• Helpful x 1
  17. DougH

DougH Active Member

Next time just say yes Tesla is a dealership, you're just making more work for yourself.