Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vandals smashed FWD window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked in a very public parking lot and returned 2 hours later and found the left passenger door window smashed and nothing taken from the car. I'm wondering how long I can expect to wait for a replacement window.

Has anyone had experience with window replacement?

-----
Circular Conversation with Insurance Rep

When I called the insurance company, the representative asked if I had a preferred auto glass repair shop. I said the Tesla Service Center. The rep asked if the Tesla Service Center was a dealership. I said not exactly, because Tesla does not have dealerships.

Then the person asked if it was an independent repair shop. I said no, its part of Tesla. The person again asked if it was the dealership. The rep didn't know what Teslas are and how they are sold. I wasn't sure how to explain this.

The result is that I have to speak with someone with the Bid Team and tell the person I need OEM glass.
model-x-broken-window.JPG

I'm sure the rep was just as confused and trying to help you out. The conversation should've gone like this:
Rep: Is "Tesla Service Center" a dealership?
You: No, Tesla doesn't have dealerships BUT you could think of that as an extension of the manufacturer and the best experts for this car.
Rep: Well, we find that dealerships .. yadda yadda..

Likely the Rep is just following script for the cheapest way out and going for OEM glass is considered too expensive.

• Helpful
Reactions: RogueCat
Really sorry to hear this. When it happened to me, the Tesla service center in Sunnyvale fixed it within 2 days as well. They had the window glass and trim in stock, likely because this happens so often.

You are not alone. The SF Bay Area is undergoing an epidemic of these car window smashings. Often this includes folding down a rear seat to see if there are valuables in the trunk area.

13 cars broken into last night, for laptops - costco sunnyvale parking lot

Car broken into, items in trunk stolen.

can you post a pic? i'm interested in channels 3 & 4 mounting points...

The cameras are set up like this: main camera goes to the front and smaller one (“rear camera”) goes to the driver side window. The second main camera goes to the rear and it’s smaller pair goes to the passenger side window. The side window cameras show you the pictures/videos horizontally, but you will get used to it.

E1965AE9-7C8C-48D0-BC24-471EAC660706.jpeg A966494F-4AE9-46EF-905C-A515DB1CB634.jpeg

Seems like more stuff for the burglar to steal... Unless you feel cameras are deterrents. Seems more incentive than anything. Then again, I'm not a thief and can only speculate.

The cameras are set up like this: main camera goes to the front and smaller one (“rear camera”) goes to the driver side window. The second main camera goes to the rear and it’s smaller pair goes to the passenger side window. The side window cameras show you the pictures/videos horizontally, but you will get used to it.

View attachment 251236 View attachment 251237

View attachment 251236 View attachment 251237
oh wow! this is an interesting set-up, i was expecting perhaps them being mounted to point out the side of the FWD's...i would love an out-of-the-box 4-5 channel camera so that i could also have a cabin facing camera for the interior view...

Seems like more stuff for the burglar to steal... Unless you feel cameras are deterrents. Seems more incentive than anything. Then again, I'm not a thief and can only speculate.

Have one of those in car hotspots (such as FreedomPop), connect your dash cam to it for uninterrupted cloud connection, even when you are away from home/work. You will get real time alert whenever an "incident" happens. Plus, you have live feed on demand and cloud recording. Not sure if it is deterrent enough, but I also have stickers on the windows that say, "WARNING: video and audio recording in progress."

Last edited:
Reactions: hollywood
I parked in a very public parking lot and returned 2 hours later and found the left passenger door window smashed and nothing taken from the car. I'm wondering how long I can expect to wait for a replacement window.

Has anyone had experience with window replacement?

-----
Circular Conversation with Insurance Rep

When I called the insurance company, the representative asked if I had a preferred auto glass repair shop. I said the Tesla Service Center. The rep asked if the Tesla Service Center was a dealership. I said not exactly, because Tesla does not have dealerships.

Then the person asked if it was an independent repair shop. I said no, its part of Tesla. The person again asked if it was the dealership. The rep didn't know what Teslas are and how they are sold. I wasn't sure how to explain this.

The result is that I have to speak with someone with the Bid Team and tell the person I need OEM glass.View attachment 251220

I wonder if the vehicles AP cameras are recording when car is off (I assume not). Would be worth a call to Tesla to verify so you could send to PD to try and catch the low life’s responsible.

make sure they get all the glass shards out of the doors or else it will rattle. on my range rover they had to actually take the door off and remove everything down to the metal and then turn it upside down and shake it. seriously.

not sure if the FWD have a type of drainage at the bottom but the rover doors didnt and glass shards would collect at bottom and rattle every time we closed the doors.