Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vegan option?

Will you request the Vegan option when you order your Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 43 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 56 56.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would worry about durability with the "vegan" option. That and I'm not willing to pay more just to get that. It would have to offer some benefit outside making you feel better about the material source.
You'll have some durability data from those of us who chose it in the Model X. From a standpoint of benefits, it's softer and purportedly easier to clean. It can also be pure white (as is currently offered). Those seem like good upsides, especially if we see acceptable durability.

Yeah, I do love the white seats so I'd be amenable to vegan just to get that, but I also have concerns about longevity and durability. I've always had cloth seats, and I've done some horrible things to my cars* so longevity is my first concern. While I intend to do horrible things less often in a Model 3, I'll likely still do them occasionally...

*Not that you sickos... I'm talking about transporting large objects, digging up root balls and transporting them in the front seats, putting crazy sh*t on top. That type of nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: melindav
You'll have some durability data from those of us who chose it in the Model X. From a standpoint of benefits, it's softer and purportedly easier to clean. It can also be pure white (as is currently offered). Those seem like good upsides, especially if we see acceptable durability.
Good to know, thanks. Easier to clean would be a pretty big benefit to me with three youngsters. :)

Why would the inorganic seats be less durable than the organic ones? Or is the material made out of some kind of fermented bean curd instead of a synthetic fabric?
I think people are familiar with high quality leather and low quality synthetics. Comparing the two, the higher quality leather has generally performed better. But I agree with you - synthetics have the capability to outperform a natural material. I'm hopeful the seat material in my X proves this correct!

If the synthetic material in the X seats holds up as well as leather I will likely go with it in my Model 3 as long as it is available in the color I want, and I expect it will based on what I heard yesterday.

It was nice that one of the shareholders from last year who advocated for the "vegan" option got the chance to publicly thank Elon for making the synthetic seat option available. I was glad she didn't chastise him for not offering a synthetic steering wheel cover option. As far as I know that is still leather only, is that right?

I was glad she didn't chastise him for not offering a synthetic steering wheel cover option. As far as I know that is still leather only, is that right?
No. That was the whole point of my post. There is a vegan option, which when ordered, makes anything in the interior that would have normally been leather, some sort of faux leather. That would include the steering wheel cover and any door/dash inserts, etc..

There was a couple from Ft. Worth, TX that spoke at last year's SH meeting about getting a vegan Model S. They said it took a long time, as they didn't really have vegan option at the time.

This might not matter with the M3, if the steering wheel cover is non-leather on the lower models to begin with. I'm guessing that the steering wheel cover is always leather on the MS/X, even with the cloth seats.

Respectfully, I really hope they don't actually call it vegan if they expect the masses to accept and adopt the available material option. I may like it better than leather anyway, I just wouldn't appreciate the "lifestyle choice" weight I'm afraid would come with its purchase.
In my opinion, there is nothing worse in than being labeled based on a particular car/brand/package. Unfortunately, it happens way too often. No offense, but this honestly makes me want to order a vanity plate with a clever abbreviation of the word carnivore. I can see people falsely assuming I'm vegan based on the talk of Tesla offering vegan packages. I'd rather avoid uncomfortable conversations (even accusations) when I pull up to a steakhouse. ;)

Reactions: garsh
In my opinion, there is nothing worse in than being labeled based on a particular car/brand/package. Unfortunately, it happens way too often. No offense, but this honestly makes me want to order a vanity plate with a clever abbreviation of the word carnivore. I can see people falsely assuming I'm vegan based on the talk of Tesla offering vegan packages. I'd rather avoid uncomfortable conversations (even accusations) when I pull up to a steakhouse.

CarnEVor?

Seriously, though, "nothing worse" than being labeled based on your car? That seems a bit short sighted.