Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vegan option?

Will you request the Vegan option when you order your Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 43 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 56 56.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

plankeye

That Vegan EV Guy
Feb 4, 2016
Frisco, TX
I have seen a couple of people on TMC mention the vegan interior option. So I was curious how many will actually request that option for their Model 3. The sales rep at the store said that I would just have to call Tesla after placing my order to request the vegan option. I would imagine that if there were enough asking for it, they will eventually make it a choice online.

The only thing I don't know is if there will be seating fabric options, i.e. cloth vs. faux leather, for the vegan option. I'm assuming the steering wheel cover and door trim and what not will be faux leather regardless of seat covering.

Would this vegan material be different than what Tesla currently uses for optional headliner etc? That material seems a bit light weight, does Tesla not offer vegan in any of their models? The vegan material used in my B-class (MB-Tex) is super. Tough, good looking realistic texture, feels good, a great black (don't know about other colors).

I'm hoping the vegan optoin won't be any higher cost. I'm actually planning on NOT getting the premium interior (if one's offered), so I might not need to request the vegan option, if the steering wheel cover and what not are already faux leather. I actually want cloth seats, not faux leather.

Besides leather, are there animal products in glues, threading and otherwise?
I can't imagine any of those items are animal-based (any more). I would think it's cheaper to source all of that kind of stuff from man-made chemical-based sources.

I don't know yet. I'm actually happy with cloth seats for comfort... the only thing that makes me think twice is that any spill or mess can be a little easier to clean on something not nearly as porous. But the easy solution there is that if something could be messy (transporting my cat, etc.), I can just lay a towel or plastic sheet down on the seats. I'll likely use the upgrade money on audio, range, AP, and possibly AWD. Every time I think about the upgrades, I begin to wonder if I'll really be able to afford the car lol. I worry about it becoming $50k. Ahhh

On the model S, if you get the cloth seats (which are the best cloth seats I've felt in a car), the steering wheel is still leather. For that car you can call up after ordering and ask for the vegan option which basically just replaces the steering wheel covering. I imagine the Model 3 will have a base option with no leather to begin with.