TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vegan option?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by plankeye, May 28, 2016.

Tags:
?

Will you request the Vegan option when you order your Model 3?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

I have seen a couple of people on TMC mention the vegan interior option. So I was curious how many will actually request that option for their Model 3. The sales rep at the store said that I would just have to call Tesla after placing my order to request the vegan option. I would imagine that if there were enough asking for it, they will eventually make it a choice online.

The only thing I don't know is if there will be seating fabric options, i.e. cloth vs. faux leather, for the vegan option. I'm assuming the steering wheel cover and door trim and what not will be faux leather regardless of seat covering.

2. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

What is the vegan option? What does that mean?

3. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

This being a lower priced car, I am fairly confident that cloth interiors will be an option, and that the standard wheel and door trim won't be leather.

4. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

fake leather, pleather, poly-whatever has replaced vinyl. Essentially a chemically produced fake to look like leather.

5. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

I would get the vegan if it was the same price or cheaper and the same quality or better than leather. It would have to be in a color I want (tan).

6. jsanford

jsanford Red 3 Reserver

I'm not a fan of leather seats, so I'd go for the vegan option. But I'd not be willing to pay a lot more for it.
    Besides leather, are there animal products in glues, threading and otherwise?

7. FirstSea

FirstSea Member

Maybe it will depend on the cost.

8. arjay

arjay member

Would this vegan material be different than what Tesla currently uses for optional headliner etc? That material seems a bit light weight, does Tesla not offer vegan in any of their models? The vegan material used in my B-class (MB-Tex) is super. Tough, good looking realistic texture, feels good, a great black (don't know about other colors).

9. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

I'm hoping the vegan optoin won't be any higher cost. I'm actually planning on NOT getting the premium interior (if one's offered), so I might not need to request the vegan option, if the steering wheel cover and what not are already faux leather. I actually want cloth seats, not faux leather.

I can't imagine any of those items are animal-based (any more). I would think it's cheaper to source all of that kind of stuff from man-made chemical-based sources.

10. garsh

garsh Re Member

I'll probably go full cow.
    I hate the idea of not using the whole animal. Seems wasteful.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 3
  11. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I don't plan on eating my car.

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  12. Booga

Booga Member

I don't know yet. I'm actually happy with cloth seats for comfort... the only thing that makes me think twice is that any spill or mess can be a little easier to clean on something not nearly as porous. But the easy solution there is that if something could be messy (transporting my cat, etc.), I can just lay a towel or plastic sheet down on the seats. I'll likely use the upgrade money on audio, range, AP, and possibly AWD. Every time I think about the upgrades, I begin to wonder if I'll really be able to afford the car lol. I worry about it becoming $50k. Ahhh

13. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

I will not so much because it's vegan (though isn't that term reserved for food?) but because I love the white interior. I haven't read reviews of it in the X though to see how durable and stain resistant it is though.

• Like x 1
  14. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Member

I'm not vegan, but I would prefer a non-organic option for the interior.

15. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Mod note: two posts were moved to snippiness.

• Love x 2
  16. Colsla

Colsla Member

ah.. I would .. but the cost of those on S are very high.. I am hoping model 3 offers cloth or softex as base seats

17. proven

proven Member

On the model S, if you get the cloth seats (which are the best cloth seats I've felt in a car), the steering wheel is still leather. For that car you can call up after ordering and ask for the vegan option which basically just replaces the steering wheel covering. I imagine the Model 3 will have a base option with no leather to begin with.

18. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

We got the white "vegan" seats on Model X and we are very happy with them. Very soft material and very comfortable.

• Like x 1
  19. Colsla

Colsla Member

I guess the question is longevity of the vegan seats.. Will they last long? Can someone contribute?

20. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

Holy Crap...I guess my T-reg is Vegan (sport seats, not the fancy leather!). Who knew!