Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ventilated Seats option is quietly removed from the "Premium Package"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much is the home refueling option from Mercedes? With Tesla it's only $500 + $500 installation.

Yawn... I mean that as sarcastically as it sounds... If you want interior luxury Tesla isn't your cup of tea, and "AMN" is right, for that kind of money Tesla should NOT be removing options at all...

I don't know what I'm more annoyed with, the removal of an important option to me and my desire to order or that Tesla didn't even have the wherewithal to reduce the price of the PUP accordingly...

Jeff

Reactions: darthy001
What exactly is better about the Mercedes or Audi? I had a Jaguar XJL before the Tesla and the only thing I see different is the massage seats and at that time...ventilated seats. I didn't realize there are more options that we are missing beyond that.

hehe, I always remember Tesla brands itself as a "Premium Electric Car" and doesn't use the word Luxury. Never the less, it is a luxurious car with technology and amenities overall. Tesla has never had the quite plush feel of Mercedes/Audi/even BMW at times, but it is still a nice car. Tesla doesn't have the build quality yet of those brands in exterior or interior so I think we are mostly hoping that improves in time, but really hasn't yet - still, amazing cars overall due to drivetrain and tech. The ventilated seats in particular are not amazing but they did seem to help/work ok this Summer on a hot road trip I took - reduced the ever so "sweaty butt" syndrome one encounters on long trips.

It will be interesting to see though in future as other brands do come into play. The Jaguar F Type, the Mercedes electric drives, Audi Q8, and others how they do overall as then you'll have a choice in not just design of the car but interior quality as well. They will surely perform well, offer some wants like Carplay for some, and do just about everything Tesla does already. Just the supercharging piece may be missing but doesn't always matter as much...

Model S is totally not an A8 or S Class. Any comparison between them trying to justify anything can be futile.

It definitely isn't. But it is priced the same.

But here's the clincher:

The class below that also has superior interior on the Germans. Audi A6 and A7 both have suction seats. They also have massage seats.

Heck, even Audi A4 has suction seats.

What exactly is better about the Mercedes or Audi? I had a Jaguar XJL before the Tesla and the only thing I see different is the massage seats and at that time...ventilated seats. I didn't realize there are more options that we are missing beyond that.

Tons of stuff. For example, Audi A8 and its ilk have electric rear seating reminiscent of an airplane seat in premium classes. I mean, more adjustable than Tesla's front seats in many ways. In the rear. With seat memory. And of course ventilation and massage (with many modes) available for rear as well... Some have electric fold-out ottomans... They have cooled places for your drinks (even integrated fridges). They have TV, they have AC inverters for your laptop, they have interior Wi-Fi etc.

They have ski passthroughs, they have rail systems in the wagons/SUVs (e.g. Q7) in the trunk, they have rear-seat controls for AC, media controls etc. as well as rear-screen systems. They have pull-out rear tables... vanity mirrors for rear, vanity mirrors with magnification options, all sorts of additional premium lighting. And of course the small things like lots of places for your coats, more drink holders etc. Plus the materials and attention to material detail is far superior to Tesla's.

To use Audi nomenclature, many of these things are also in the Audi A6, A7, Q7 range, which - even if one wouldn't place Model S/X in the A8 class - is at the very least very comparable to Model S/X. So certainly one is giving up a lot going Tesla in that regard. Recent steps like the Model X rear seating questions as well as this ventilation step are really going backwards for Tesla...

I like the Tesla dash. The small and the big screen and the front styling is actually perfectly OK in my view. Everything behind it, that is seriously lacking. (Assuming HUD is in the works for Tesla, because that of course is one thing in the front that is missing - that and 360 camera displays.)

How much is the home refueling option from Mercedes? With Tesla it's only $500 + $500 installation.

Obviously being the only long-range EV in town helps Tesla reach many kinds of customers that otherwise wouln't buy such a car. The Model S especially is remarkable achievement, no doubt about that. One for the annals. If Tesla succeeds with their autonomous driving better than the competition, that too will help set them apart for the time being.

This situation works from both low-end up and high-end down. We have Prius drivers in Model Xs and Audi A8 drivers in Model Ss. Neither are really in their natural place. Yet here they are. And if Tesla really shows a major lead in autonomous driving, I expect them to gather some of those kinds of customers as well, outside of their natural car class.

That said, many may end up deciding differently if this is how things still remain once competition IS available. Then the reason to miss out on certain stuff goes away. So, wanting Tesla to do well, it is natural to hope they make progress on the interiors as well, rather than regress... AND it is natural to miss those features one likes, even if the EV pull is still stronger than the pull of those missing features.

So the back seat is better? I don't care about the backseat. I agree there's plenty of options for the back that could be added, but one is not needed, TV. No way, not with iPads now, that would be a waste. I want the options for the front, and to that end I think I'm only missing massage seats. Heated cup holders might be nice, but I've never needed that.

So the back seat is better? I don't care about the backseat. I agree there's plenty of options for the back that could be added, but one is not needed, TV. No way, not with iPads now, that would be a waste. I want the options for the front, and to that end I think I'm only missing massage seats. Heated cup holders might be nice, but I've never needed that.

Pretty much everything from the dash backwards is better. In the front too.

For example Audi's front seats (and Mercedes and BMW have their own similar lists) have - in addition to all the basic stuff Tesla has - separately adjustable side bolsters for seat and seat back, separately adjustable seat length forwards, separately adjustable seatback top part (shoulder height) angle, separately adjustable headrest sides, and separately individually adjustable headrest height as well as seat belt height. All that electric. And adjustable height armrests.

And massage and ventilation.

Plus superior materials.

Ah yes, thanks @Ormond. Now I remember how my A8 had four electronically operated window shades: sunroof, rear doors and rear window. All of those were on occasion useful from the front seat too.

Yes, when Audi & co. does eventually get to making a long-range EV, Tesla needs to have this area checked...

I order a Model S 90D last night and this morning my OA confirmed that I have ventilated seats. However, I am not sure I really want them. I actually wanted textile seats as I prefer how they wear over time compared to leather, which typically stretch and wrinkle. Unfortunately, textile was not an option with PUP. Now I need to decide, do I stay with perforated seating or switch to seating without the little dirt collecting holes.

The Tesla interior has it's own design language. Different than S Class Mercedes, and perhaps even more advanced.
Much better driver information and controls, with fewer buttons and more intuitive controls.

Try getting electric, self opening and closing doors, HEPA air filters, wireless internet, in a Mercedes.

Try finding a S Class that updated itself constantly while parked in your garage.

Try getting a Mercedes that fuels itself in your garage, so never need to go to a smelly gas station again.

Try getting an S Class that does not pollute the air you breath every time you start it up.

And a biggie for many of us, try getting an American built with American workers S Class from Mercedes.

Different vehicles for different drivers.

I have had my Model X P90DL for almost a year. We live in Florida and the cooled seats work fine. They are also quite. I ordered a Model X P100DL on December 22nd and hope the car is delivered with the cooled seats. The car is scheduled to be delivered in March. Every car I have owned for the last 20 years have had cooled/heated seats. I think anyone buying a luxury car expects cooled/heated seats.