Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Venting - Model 3 should come with the lift pucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went to get my tires rotated. I thought most shops had padded lifts and could do Teslas. This place (NTB) didn't; said I need the hockey pucks. I don't have them, so now have to order them, wait for them, and waste time going back in for a tire rotation.
Any tire shop that won’t jack your car by hand if you ask them to is not a place you want to do business with.

Reactions: kbecks13
do your own tire rotation, it is actually one of the easiest things to do. I rotate my own, so I can do it on my own time, takes less then 20 minutes and gives you a chance to clean the wheels really well, and inspect being the wheel which many shops won't even do

That's an excellent point. I rotate when I swap Winter vs Summer and I clean the inside of the wheels when I do.

Takes me longer than 20 minutes though when I do ;)

I also carefully mark all the wheels and I know how I rotated them and how I like to rotate them.

Since I'm swapping wheels I don't need to load them into the car either (which is more work than swapping them !!)

It's Win Win Win doing it yourself.

P.S. When I was kid I had a 69 Dodge Charger that I rebuilt. I spent every spare moment for a couple years working on it and every penny I made as well. That education of how things work and go together was priceless. Learn your CAR !!! Yes, your hands might get dirty.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and snellenr
From looking at 75Shappyt's bill it looks like after tire rotation you need to reset the TPMS or relearn.
So for the do it yourself tire rotation people maybe this is something one needs to be aware of.
I was not.

Like as mentioned above, never had an issue swapping wheels myself on 6 different cars since 2011. 1 VW, 3 Jeeps and 2 Teslas.
They all had/have fixed Frequency factory TPMS, no after market universal TPMS.

On Model 3, when I had it, it had no TPMS Reset but it Prompted to reset TPMS after a few minutes of driving and Prompted for Wheel Size. On Model X I manually change the Wheel Size and it does the TPMS stuff on it's own.

Last edited:
That's an excellent point. I rotate when I swap Winter vs Summer and I clean the inside of the wheels when I do.

Takes me longer than 20 minutes though when I do ;)

I also carefully mark all the wheels and I know how I rotated them and how I like to rotate them.

Since I'm swapping wheels I don't need to load them into the car either (which is more work than swapping them !!)

It's Win Win Win doing it yourself.

P.S. When I was kid I had a 69 Dodge Charger that I rebuilt. I spent every spare moment for a couple years working on it and every penny I made as well. That education of how things work and go together was priceless. Learn your CAR !!! Yes, your hands might get dirty.
when I was young, I had a '54 chevy, four door, dark brown, beige inside, 3 speed on the column, loved it, all it took to fix something was socket set, a few screwdrivers, and a hammer. But in todays world with cars how they are, not safe to do that. and for $31.00 tire rotation, can't waste my time for that. I can make more that 31.00 dollars not doing it. But I can see the fun in doing it yourself.

when I was young, I had a '54 chevy, four door, dark brown, beige inside, 3 speed on the column, loved it, all it took to fix something was socket set, a few screwdrivers, and a hammer. But in todays world with cars how they are, not safe to do that. and for $31.00 tire rotation, can't waste my time for that. I can make more that 31.00 dollars not doing it. But I can see the fun in doing it yourself.

I know what your saying. I do a whole lot less today.

Tires didn’t change though. And it’s not $31.
You had other work done. Many shops will charge a min of 1/2 hr. Which is roughly what they probably did on your service.

Brakes are the same, mostly. I do what feels comfortable. I still did oil on my cars that had oil 40 years after my Charger project. Had it done ONCE as part of FREE service. They stripped the plug.

Had tires done in a shop (new tires). They overtightened the lugs. Snapped the lug getting off. I bring my wheels in now if I need tire work done.

I had one thing done by SC I could not do my self. Rear window crack. And they messed up reinstalling the trim pretty badly and got grease on the headliner. They did a perfect Job on the glass though.

I had wind noise issue on my Model X. To many “they didn’t fix it” stories. I fixed it myself. NOT easy. But so glade that I did. They almost surely would have botched it. Drivers Window needed to be realigned. Learned a ton doing it too. And sealed up a lot of voids when I took the door panel off. I might go through all the doors one day.

A lot of Service department technicians don’t give a crap about your car. I do. So I do what I can. No different than getting work done in your home.

Rotating tires is a no brainer. I wouldn’t let someone do it, even if it was free. I save more time doing it myself.

I’ll hand my keys to someone when I have no choice.

here is what I paid, and here is what I follow on my car 2017 MS 75 bought new,

And here's a thread where different folks quote $50, $60, $62.50, $85

Tire rotation: what mileage?

Another thread mentioning prices including $55, $140, $75, $35 and $0

How much does Tesla charge for a tire rotation?

Another one quoting $200 for rotation from Tesla.

Tire rotation - $200?

As I said- it varies wildly.

Which to be honest is kind of nuts given all SCs are owned by Tesla. You'd think there'd be a standard rate book.

I know what your saying. I do a whole lot less today.

Tires didn’t change though. And it’s not $31.
You had other work done. Many shops will charge a min of 1/2 hr. Which is roughly what they probably did on your service.

Brakes are the same, mostly. I do what feels comfortable. I still did oil on my cars that had oil 40 years after my Charger project. Had it done ONCE as part of FREE service. They stripped the plug.

Had tires done in a shop (new tires). They overtightened the lugs. Snapped the lug getting off. I bring my wheels in now if I need tire work done.

I had one thing done by SC I could not do my self. Rear window crack. And they messed up reinstalling the trim pretty badly and got grease on the headliner. They did a perfect Job on the glass though.

I had wind noise issue on my Model X. To many “they didn’t fix it” stories. I fixed it myself. NOT easy. But so glade that I did. They almost surely would have botched it. Drivers Window needed to be realigned. Learned a ton doing it too. And sealed up a lot of voids when I took the door panel off. I might go through all the doors one day.

A lot of Service department technicians don’t give a crap about your car. I do. So I do what I can. No different than getting work done in your home.

Rotating tires is a no brainer. I wouldn’t let someone do it, even if it was free. I save more time doing it myself.

I’ll hand my keys to someone when I have no choice.
your right, anytime you hand your keys over, anything can happen, and I don't buy it that your Tesla doesn't need service, but so far Tesla been right (3 yrs + now) I always do the the maintenance items do with miles or over time. Here is a invoice what I was charged for tire rotation. I have always got good services at the Tesla SC I use.

Attachments

• 3000S0001112306_EN-US.pdf
    144.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 11.08.14 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 11.08.14 AM.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 77
your right, anytime you hand your keys over, anything can happen, and I don't buy it that your Tesla doesn't need service, but so far Tesla been right (3 yrs + now) I always do the the maintenance items do with miles or over time. Here is a invoice what I was charged for tire rotation. I have always got good services at the Tesla SC I use.

I never said my Tesla never needs or will need service. The one time I have used it, it could have been better for sure.
BTW that one time I did go to SC I saw a Technician back one customers Model S into another Model S (rear corner into a door, ouch). My dash cam caught it.

I've seen others post that say Tire Rotation cost them $75. Like I said, I wouldn't even have it done for free, even if I was going there to pick up a part. Like others mentioned I like cleaning the inside of my wheels. Maybe yours don't get dirty or you don't care. That's fine.

When Mobile Service came out to install my new snows, I told him to just leave them, I'll install them. He said, but you already paid for the install. I said no problem. Then he gets on the computer and tried to credit me the $100.00 for install. He said he could not because they have to charge min of $100.00 for any non warranty service call. Having them delivered rather than driving for 2 hours to pickup was well worth it. I suspect the shop has a minimum too. Many shops do. I think Tesla shop rate is around $195/hr or more.

Well, they have specific locations to lift the car. The pucks keep the careless shops from lifting in the wrong place, and from carelessly extending onto the battery.
Lift it how you want, it’s your investment. :)

Guaranteed, we will start seeing whining and complaining on this forum from folks like you saying, their shop damaged the car or battery because the lift points were used without pucks, and of course blaming Tesla. Lol.

I've had my car in the air 5 different times since I purchased it in Dec. 2019. I have a 2 post lift in my garage. When I was ordering things prior to taking delivery of the car I saw threads about lift pucks and figured there was something special about lifting a Tesla, so I bought some pucks on Amazon for $30. Once I took delivery and took a look at the underside of the car, I realized that the pucks are completely unnecessary so I returned them. As long as you position the lift pads under the actual jack points (like you need to do on ANY car) any standard lift pad can be used to lift a Tesla. I think the reason that cars have been damaged by improper lifting has to do with the completely flat bottom of the car and carless people placing the lift pads on the battery instead of the jack points. Looking at the bottom of the car, some could assume that you could jack it anywhere since it's completely flat. Using a standard lift on the jack points without pucks WILL NOT damage the car.

Reactions: Cuttin and dahaz22
For the people that use a floor jack to lift the car and do it yourself, where do you guys put the jackstand?

The lower control arm? or is frame still enough that it will raise that hole side so you can put the stand in the other jack point?

For the people that use a floor jack to lift the car and do it yourself, where do you guys put the jackstand?

Theres another thread on that here: Putting the 3 on all 4 jack stands

Im gonna just go ahead and beat the dead horse....You don't need pucks.

The lifting points sit proud of the battery. As long as you lift with a flat surface, you are totally fine (many shop lifts and home jacks have this).

Just went to get my tires rotated. I thought most shops had padded lifts and could do Teslas. This place (NTB) didn't; said I need the hockey pucks. I don't have them, so now have to order them, wait for them, and waste time going back in for a tire rotation.

Why does a $60k car that differs from all other cars in that it needs these pucks just in order to lift it without damage not come with them included. They cost $20 on Amazon for the set of four. Tesla would do well to just include them and spare their owners this pointless headache.

Tesla clearly doesn't want owners coming to Tesla Service for tire rotation, since they charge a ridiculous fee. These cars are supposed to be low cost and hassle free to maintain. So make it that way.

Uggh.
Go to a good tire shop. They are all set to take care of a Tesla. In CA I use Americas Tire and no charge for tire rotation.

Apologies for double-posting but:

Scheduled the service two days ago, the first opening was 3 November. A few minutes ago I got a call from Tesla offering to come by today. Tire rotation was quick and easy; I asked about the "Pucks" and the tech showed me how the jack he was issued was designed to not require them. The whole thing took about ten minutes. $31.00 was indeed the total price for the service which included a tread depth check. Tread depths at 6.5 kilomiles were 6mm front; 5mm rear with no signs of uneven per-tire wear.

Reactions: vickh and kbecks13