Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2022.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got 12.3.6 on my 2021 M3 perf. I thought AP max speed was supposed to be increased. It is not on my car. The speed increase wasn't listed in the release notes in the in-car display. I was really looking forward to the speed increase. Any else see the same issue?
12.3.6 doesn't have AP speed increase.

Reactions: triduchuynh
Tesla uses a software development technique called 'agile'. This technique involves periodically taking a snapshot of the current development stream and giving it to some customers to see how it works out. The snapshot -is- tested before being released, but it is literally impossible to test every possible scenario. Because of that, every major software project has to balance (in terms of testing) cost, time, and the odds of missed problems and at some point has to call it 'good enough' and release it. This is what Tesla is doing, just like Microsoft, Apple, IBM, etc.

Anyway, back to 'agile' development. In a way, it could be considered as using customers as beta testers. But for better or worse, it is the 'in' thing in software development. It is supposed to be superior to the old way of developing where some planner decides what features to include without regard to what customers actually need or want, since it actually puts customers 'into the loop'. The problem from our point of view is that if Tesla is taking feedback it isn't obvious to us. Maybe they actually are. Maybe they even read TMC, reddit, etc. Who knows? But here is the thing - they may have good reasons to not acknowledge the feedback. For example, they may not want to pre-announce changes because that raises expectations and puts pressure on them to release those changes before they are adequately tested. And what if they announce something only to find that it has unexpected consequences that make it impossible to actually deliver?

I am a retired software developer and I have seen customers who would rather stay several releases back than take a chance on installing the latest and greatest release and being exposed to new bugs. Personally, I always thought that they were crazy since I actually knew what was in both the old and new releases. For that reason, and also because I suspect that Tesla doesn't list everything that they have fixed in the release notes, I am very happy to install the latest version. That said, Tesla does provide a 'standard' update preference for those who would rather be more conservative.

Agile methods involve incremental, evolutionary development and frequent deliveries, but aren't an excuse for skimping on testing, esp. in safety-critical systems. The appropriate amount of bug testing before release depends on the risks and costs of those bugs. TMC members are reporting an awful lot of bugs.

Tesla would save time and customer problems if they souped up their test automation: unit tests, regression tests (to show that fixed problems stay fixed), tests against simulated car components, and so on. Yes, they have a huge combinations of car models, variants, languages, countries, and road conditions to test on, but they should test across a controlled sampling. It'd be smarter to limit changes to old models than to push out changes without testing on those models.

Agile practice is to do usability testing for each UI change on a variety of users (drivers) in a variety of conditions. If Tesla did that, we wouldn't have all those long, contentious threads about holiday updates followed by months to get some of the problems restored.

Reports about the "advanced software update" switch is that it doesn't seem to do anything.

I am a retired software developer and I have seen customers who would rather stay several releases back than take a chance on installing the latest and greatest release and being exposed to new bugs. Personally, I always thought that they were crazy since I actually knew what was in both the old and new releases. For that reason, and also because I suspect that Tesla doesn't list everything that they have fixed in the release notes, I am very happy to install the latest version. That said, Tesla does provide a 'standard' update preference for those who would rather be more conservative.
I am a software developer and I was happy to install the latest version, until Tesla broke the behavior of my charge port and, despite me notifying them by scheduling a service request, they didn't fix this for two months. If they're going to move quickly and try to push out new features, they really need to stop breaking basic stuff like charge ports, trunk opening and closing, and dashcams. How could they possibly be so sloppy that this stuff wasn't seen in rudimentary testing? At the very least, if they break stuff, they should fix it ASAP. I wouldn't have been so pissed if this issue had been fixed in 5 days instead of 2 months, but they sat on it for weeks and even pushed an update to my car after 3-4 weeks that didn't even fix the issue.

Anyway, since then, I refuse to install any version that hasn't been out for at least a month and for which I haven't seen reports of any serious bugs. If they want me to beta test stuff for them and they're going to leave things broken for months, then they should be paying me.

Last edited:
I am a software developer and I was happy to install the latest version, until Tesla broke the behavior of my charge port and, despite me notifying them by scheduling a service request, they didn't fix this for two months. If they're going to move quickly and try to push out new features, they really need to stop breaking basic stuff like charge ports, trunk opening and closing, and dashcams. How could they possibly be so sloppy that this stuff wasn't seen in rudimentary testing? At the very least, if they break stuff, they should fix it ASAP. I wouldn't have been so pissed if this issue had been fixed in 5 days instead of 2 months, but they sat on it for weeks and even pushed an update to my car after 3-4 weeks that didn't even fix the issue.

Anyway, since then, I refuse to install any version that hasn't been out for at least a month and for which I haven't seen reports of any serious bugs. If they want me to beta test stuff for them and they're going to leave things broken for months, then they should be paying me.
Exactly. If I was retired and bored, I might have band width to play with risky new updates. I am not, and don't have time to mess around. Stuff just needs to work.

I'm on a different system than 4 weeks: I'm now getting sticky with good releases, staying on them for months if needed, but repeatedly updating through buggy releases as fast as I can.

Right now, everything is working well, especially AP/TACC. Have not had a PB event at all since 12.3.2, over 2000 miles of very challenging conditions. I'm staying here until there is compelling reason to upgrade, so far not seeing it. Risk of AP regression is too high, so much variability in PB events across software releases has me spooked.

Others on this release still have PB events, later releases both work well for some, and very poorly for others. I feel like I found safe haven for a minute in an eddy in the side of the stream of constant change, so I'll nurse this as long as possible.

Yay, looks like more people are finally getting 2022.16.X !

1654619347171.png

Reactions: Lee Davis
"I refuse to install any version that hasn't been out for at least a month and for which I haven't seen reports of any serious bugs". "Stuff just needs to work." Fair enough. Each person has to decide what risks to take (after all, getting in the car at all is risking your life even if the odds are in your favor). Does the 'standard' update setting do that for you? That is what it should do, of course.

One other thought - installing a new version involves taking a risk. Staying on the version that you currently have also involves taking a risk, even if that risk is not obvious since as I speculated Tesla probably doesn't disclose every change that they make. Have they quietly improved TACC or autopilot? FCW detection? Battery management? Regenerative braking?

"I refuse to install any version that hasn't been out for at least a month and for which I haven't seen reports of any serious bugs". "Stuff just needs to work." Fair enough. Each person has to decide what risks to take (after all, getting in the car at all is risking your life even if the odds are in your favor). Does the 'standard' update setting do that for you? That is what it should do, of course.
Nope. I've been on "standard" updates since I got the car and I got the bad charge port update. What I've determined from that incident is that Tesla is not to be trusted and I deleted my car's WiFi credentials so it does not constantly nag me. When I see that it wants to install an update that is worth installing, I will re-enter the WiFi credentials and download that update, then delete them again.

Well, bittersweet, did get 2022.16.1.1 last night, but it has caused a problem with the rear screen aspect ratio for the theater / streaming services.

The touch buttons are misaligned as well, as it goes across the screen you have to touch farther and farther to the left of the button you are trying to hit.

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

I did not get a picture of it but HVAC & seat heater controls look and work fine...

Guess this speaks to the conversation earlier about the methodology and them adding bugs.

Thinking through this conversation and my newly introduced bug.... It would be REALLY nice if Tesla allowed a single version roll back by the user.

That would remove a lot of the angst when it comes to updating and likely reduce their calls / service requests.

They could add an advanced option that allowed you to re-apply the current version or back up ONE version.

Could even include a survey you have to fill out as to WHY you are doing it so they can get information on bugs / customer feedback.

I get not letting the consumer pick and play with multiple versions or go way back but a single version back should be safe.
Maybe block it when the update included NHTSA required changes but the other 89% of the time would be AMAZING.

Thinking through this conversation and my newly introduced bug.... It would be REALLY nice if Tesla allowed a single version roll back by the user.

That would remove a lot of the angst when it comes to updating and likely reduce their calls / service requests.

They could add an advanced option that allowed you to re-apply the current version or back up ONE version.

Could even include a survey you have to fill out as to WHY you are doing it so they can get information on bugs / customer feedback.

I get not letting the consumer pick and play with multiple versions or go way back but a single version back should be safe.
Maybe block it when the update included NHTSA required changes but the other 89% of the time would be AMAZING.
Tesla has completely lost it regarding software. I mean forcing all your customers to essentially always be on beta level builds is frustrating enough (I would love a 'boring' option with only ~2 updates a year). But if you are going to use your customers as beta testers, YOU CAN"T MAKE IT ESSENTIALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO REPORT BUGS.

2022.16.1.1 caused a problem with the rear screen aspect ratio for the theater / streaming services.

View attachment 814637
For those with above issue (but did not see the other thread about it). You can fix the rear screen resolution / aspect ratio.

Just need to mirror a video from the front screen to the rear.

I used YouTube, started a video up front, left it playing, went to the rear, clicked on the YouTube link on the bottom, came up correctly.

Closed both and tried to JUST load it in the rear and the aspect ratio is fixed.

Tesla has completely lost it regarding software. I mean forcing all your customers to essentially always be on beta level builds is frustrating enough (I would love a 'boring' option with only ~2 updates a year). But if you are going to use your customers as beta testers, YOU CAN"T MAKE IT ESSENTIALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO REPORT BUGS.
And at least include a live list of known bugs with fix dates, so we can judge the risk of updating; bonus for Tesla, it reduces noise in the Service Request system.

This is basic stuff, not hard.

Reactions: Transformer
I just got 16.1.1 and no use brake when regen is reduced feature. How new does “newer” hardware need to be. My Y was manufactured mid Jan 2022.
It's the opposite, your car is too new. It's only older cars that have the ability to vary regen, which presumably is a pre-requisite of this feature.

Having said that, I updated to 2022.16.1.1 today on a 2020 M3P and haven't got it. Word on the grapevine is that 3/Ys don't have it at the moment in any configuration.

It's the opposite, your car is too new. It's only older cars that have the ability to vary regen, which presumably is a pre-requisite of this feature.

Having said that, I updated to 2022.16.1.1 today on a 2020 M3P and haven't got it. Word on the grapevine is that 3/Ys don't have it at the moment in any configuration.
This is absolutely not true. The newer cars have the same (hardware) ability to vary regen, it is just a software lockout in the Tesla UI. The cars still adjust regen based on SOC and temperature, and all the CAN commands are still present on the car bus to adjust regen level (and the the aftermarket S3XY buttons let you do just that on even the newer cars).

Following up, it's still broken. For a little while it was working and if I reformat and delete the old clips it works again for a little while, but inevitably the red X shows up. Running 2022.12.3.12.

Hope they figure this out soon, its annoying.
Glad to hear this. I have been having the same issue. Tried a USB stick, SSD, and now an SD card. I'm on 2022.12.3.2 and it's the buggiest release I have seen. Had to reboot the car the other day as I lost wifi and folding mirrors.