Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand, I am in the same fold. One can always turn the sig reservation to a regular reservation and buy 6 months or so to see if they come up with a short term fix for foldflatgate.
I for one think there might be enough demand from folks that don't care about storage flexibility.
Rather than just handing back my sig reservation because I have more utility in my current Model S, I have started an experiment to try to make somebody else happy with the Signature Model X that had my name on it ;-)

Tough decision... Not sure why it wasn't an option... fold flat seats are pretty important to a lot of people. Then again cup holders are too...

I think some people can survive without cup holders. But many of us, inclduing myself, really need that extra space in an SUV. Non-folding second row seats is really a dealbreaker for A LOT of people. Tesla, I hope you are watching.

Rather than just handing back my sig reservation because I have more utility in my current Model S, I have started an experiment to try to make somebody else happy with the Signature Model X that had my name on it

That's like calling sexual assault a social experiment. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

You are trying to sell your reservation spot for $7000, call it what it is and good luck. Good luck to the early adapters doing beta testing for Tesla as well.

During a long phone conversation with an Inside Sales Advisor today, the subject of safety came up. We agreed that everyone who is considering any other vehicle would think about the safety of family and friends. Is the utility difference worth the loss of additional safety? For those who continue to drive Model S, this is not an issue. Drive safe, and choose a Tesla Motors car whenever possible.

Another Sig X holder here likely to cancel/drop back to regular production X, but not for the usual reasons.

We're quite happy with the 2nd row seats. They look great, the underseat storage is useful, and they scoot forward enough to provide useful enough cargo room with the 3rd row down. On the off chance we need more room we'll just borrow a friend's truck.

We would never fold them down anyhow because there will always be two kids seats in them for many years to come and I hate removing and reinstalling them. So the 2nd row seats as currently designed seem targeted right at us.

No, the reason we will probably cancel/drop back down is the mandatory Performance option. We're not interested in paying $20,000 for something we don't need on this family car, extra acceleration, in return for giving up something we do need - extra range. It's just the wrong trade off for us.

Plus, we would like to sit in one first, and also see how it fits in our garage.

Certainly helps that we already have a Model S P85D, which can haul plenty, both in the cargo and speed sense of the word. :)

Last edited:
Or I forgot #3
They are overwhelmed with the response and cancellations due to seats or something else and are deciding what to do. They may have gotten a little arrogant and not done any research to see what their customers actually wanted/needed from the X.

Not to be Mr Conspiracy but I am willing to bet there is more to this than many are comfortable to admit. We have already had reports that the 6 seat option was in direct response to the negative comments seen in this forum and over at Tesla.com with regard to the folding seat length issue.

I just cancelled too.

However, it can not replace the utility of the RR, or many other SUVs on the market, without having an option of second row folding seats.

So, I called and canceled my reservation.

I just cancelled for similar reasons in order of priority:

1. Towing capacity was not as promised by VP Jim Chen
2. second row seats do not fold
3. Financial markets and what lies ahead in the near future?
4. The low Canadian dollar

I hope Tesla is monitoring this forum. I told them that I was willing to take out a mortgage on my debt-free house in order to finance the purchase of a fully loaded model x but since the promised towing capacity of more than 5000 and up to 10000 lbs was not realized I cannot tow a decent sized travel trailer.

The fact that the second row seats do not fold is disappointing as well as the potential utility of the vehicle was not realized.

I am an average joe with a middle income willing to take the plunge for a kickass model x. I had planned to keep it for 20 years .

now i guess i will have to settle for a used VW touareg to do the job. Maybe if specs on the Tesla have improved I will buy one 5 years down the road.

huge disappointment yet somewhat relieved that I will not be going big into debt for the Model x

Attachments

• tesla cancel.jpg
    tesla cancel.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 125
Another bites the dust :(

Would be interesting to compare cancellation rates on the Model S from a similar time period. I was too amped up at the time to notice.

Anecdotally, I recall it being much lower. Part of that could be attributed to the fact there were no viable alternatives at that time. With Model X Sig cancellations, at least as reported here, there seems to be a high correlation with people who already have a Model S to fall back to.

Also, while there are notable cancelations here it's only, what, 10 people? Out of 1200? Tesla probably already oversubscribed Sig X reservations, banking on some degree of cancellations.

Anecdotally, I recall it being much lower. Part of that could be attributed to the fact there were no viable alternatives at that time. With Model X Sig cancellations, at least as reported here, there seems to be a high correlation with people who already have a Model S to fall back to.

I agree, anecdotally I've noticed the same thing. And I've thought about the reactions of people getting in a Model X, having never driven a Model S -- it's going to be an outstanding experience. That lifts my spirits a bit for the Tesla brand, because I have had some concerns as of late.

It's interesting reading this thread because it makes me realize also how many of you were planning to buy the X because you actually need a new car, instead of solely wanting to go fully electric. My motivation is the latter, as I have a newish van that is almost never driven. We're able to stagger our use, and in any case that we don't need a van, we always choose the MS. I was just hoping to make things more flexible. For me, replacing the van with another high quality SUV makes no sense.

In any case, I have even more respect for you guys than I did before, since you have been waiting for a car that you actually need.

I truly am happy for you that you will be getting an X. I would like to make myself accept the shortcoming (IMO, not others) that the utility is not compromised by not having an option of second row folding seats. With the engineers at TM I am sure that they could (and at one point probably will) have that option. My only 'bone to pick' with you is being 'blind to the facts'. The prototype had folding seats and an executive at TM, Mr. Chen, in a presentation Tesla Model X Towing Capacity “Close to 10,000 Poundsâ€￾ - Gas 2 inferred that the towing capacity would be up to 9,000 lbs. So, I was not kidding myself or blind to those facts.

Personally, a larger towing capacity would be great but I could work with 5K. (a compromise, but one I could accept)

Tesla prides itself on make "a better car"

a 5000 lb towing capacity is just average. many SUVs of the same size and weight tow almost 8000 lbs i.e. vw touareg

Tesla VP Jim Chen confidently stated the towing capacity to be over 5000lbs and up to 10000lbs

Another bites the dust :(

Would be interesting to compare cancellation rates on the Model S from a similar time period. I was too amped up at the time to notice.

A quick search of the Model S subforum for "cancel signature" revealed no cancellations that I could find. Just a few people threatening to cancel if Tesla couldn't deliver their Sig S within a reasonable time, and before Production cars starting shipping, as well as much knashing of teeth over the "Sig tax" which doesn't seem to exist on the X.

Oh, and also this gem (note the poster). "Amped up" would be one way to describe that, I suppose.
So, What exactly is the value of a Signature Model S?