Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But my confusion is Elon said the Model X would be $5K more than the equivalent Model S. I showed a spreadsheet above where the Sig Model X is priced virtually the same as the recently built Model S. To me that demonstrates there is no X Sig tax since it matches the S. What am I missing?

Missing the pricing for Non-Sig Model X. When I put in my S reservation, I could have still made the Sig list, but doing price comparison to the car we configured (P85 with all options except the rear child seats), it came out about $7k less than a Sig S, which would have been the same car with red paint and an earlier delivery date. The folks who got the Sig did pay that "Tax", but the rest of us were very jealous while still waiting for our car.

Another Sig X holder here likely to cancel/drop back to regular production X, but not for the usual reasons.
No, the reason we will probably cancel/drop back down is the mandatory Performance option. We're not interested in paying $20,000 for something we don't need on this family car, extra acceleration, in return for giving up something we do need - extra range. It's just the wrong trade off for us.

Plus, we would like to sit in one first, and also see how it fits in our garage.

This is our situation, and why we will likely cancel/drop back from our Sig reservation.

Actually the new Volvo XC90 does have a clean air system. They are just not as good at marketing it and its called the CleanZone air purification system.

But Volvo's one is just like most other car's filter, maybe slightly better. Only Tesla's one is true HEPA filter.

Volvo claimed 70% less fine particle than a car WITHOUT filter.
Tesla claimed 700-800x better filter performance than a car with ORDINARY filter.

Volvo has one active charcoal layer.
Tesla has three active charcoal layer.

In short, they are in a different league.

But Volvo's one is just like most other car's filter, maybe slightly better. Only Tesla's one is true HEPA filter.

Volvo claimed 70% less fine particle than a car WITHOUT filter.
Tesla claimed 700-800x better filter performance than a car with ORDINARY filter.

Volvo has one active charcoal layer.
Tesla has three active charcoal layer.

In short, they are in a different league.

Will it pass the summer time fresh kill skunk test? That is my bar! No matter what that smell seems to get into the car. Maybe the X will pass the test.

Actually the new Volvo XC90 does have a clean air system. They are just not as good at marketing it and its called the CleanZone air purification system.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I'll edit my post moved to the new XC90 thread to reflect that Elon said they couldn't detect anything with their filter inside the cabin, while Volvo's removes 70% of fine dust. They also "vent out emissions before drivers enter". Well, the X doesn't have any "emissions" to vent out! LOL

I haven't read through this entire thread (I did most of it though). Figured I'd share my take on why I may cancel.

Everyone determines how much they can afford to spend on a car in their own way. I don't want to dig into that topic too much except to say that i think I'm probably squarely in Teslas demographic. I would think there are probably a LOT of other people with a mentality similar to mine. A model X would be probably 3x more expensive than any car I've ever owned. But I usually buy my vehicles with cash. I could have spent a crazy amount on a car but it just starts to feel like diminishing returns at a certain point. That said, I do love cars. And I've wanted so badly to make the switch to an EV. When I put my 5k deposit for an X I told myself it was supposed to be the everything car. Perfect for my family with 2 young kids. Zero emissions. Super cool. Etc

my family needs a bigger vehicle. I'd been thinking of the highlander hybrid at ~50k. And thought, with the 10k in ev incentives, plus gas savings, I could rationalize that a X 70D would be something like 20k more expensive. I told myself I could manage that to do my part. I assigned a value to everything to break that 25k apart and justify each incremental step. How much are carpool stickers worth?? 3k! How much to drive the car of your dreams (which the highlander is not) 10k! I could chalk the remaining 7k up to doing my part for the world.

The other thing is, my current vehicle is on its last legs. If I need to wait for a 70D (or 75D) for 12+ more months I'm going to have to add to the cost a few thousand in repairs to my current car. I don't think I'm willing to wait that long. The other option is to get a 90D and spend another 13k that I wasn't prepared to. It's going to put the cost easily over 100k and that's sadly for me just getting to that point where I don't think I can justify it.

part of this is that I'm kind of p*ssed at tesla. I think they should have been more clear when they said the base model will cost 5k more than the S, to say that they were talking about the 90D. There's people like me who thought they were actually reserving a place in line. But here we are finding out that anyone who's willing to pay for the 90D gets to go in front of everyone who only wants a 70D! That doesn't sound like a line anymore to me!

ive read folks on here saying it's just smart business sense to only sell the higher margin versions. I don't really buy that. IMHO it's a crappy idea. First, it screws a bunch of your reservation holders. Second, presumably the 13k delta between a base config X 70D vs a base X 90D is pretty much just the battery. What's the profit margin on that extra 13k?? 20%? (Just guessing). My point is it doesn't seem like it's *that* much. Elon always says he just thinks super long term and that they are gonna burn huge amounts of cash to get to where they want. Well, I think they should have had all variants of the X ready to go and just let the pieces fall where they may. That's the fairest way to do it and in time all the people would end up with their tesla in the order they got in line.

Now im left with a sour taste in my mouth and really, there's a good chance tesla will totally lose my sale. At least for another 8+ years.

Sadly, I think the truth is they probably want smaller motors in the 70D, and that requires engineering effort. And thats probably why they aren't ready. I doubt that they have everything in place to start building 70Ds today, but just won't due to the desire to get more profits sooner. And that comes back to the core of my disappointment. They should have been less cryptic with the predicted price. I feel like I was duped into putting 5k down so I could wait a year only to be told it will be another 12 months (or so!).

Ugh. I'm just not excited about any other car...but the pilot or highlander will probably be it. It's hard to argue with $50k savings

There's people like me who thought they were actually reserving a place in line.

I understand why you'd be upset, but you should admit that you're upset based on assumptions you made, not based on what was promised. Certainly there was no legal guarantee of availability of any particular model or any particular delivery date. The Model X Reservation Agreement is clear on this. "2. [..] This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Model X and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date. You are under no obligation to purchase a Model X from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Model X or any other vehicle." "7. [..] We will establish your reservation sequence position in our sole discretion."

Thanks for pointing this out.

I'll edit my post moved to the new XC90 thread to reflect that Elon said they couldn't detect anything with their filter inside the cabin, while Volvo's removes 70% of fine dust. They also "vent out emissions before drivers enter". Well, the X doesn't have any "emissions" to vent out! LOL

The "emissions" are from the heating of the interior materials of the vehicle, not the engine. When getting into a hot car, you should always try to allow it to air out before entering, not just because of the heat, but the hazardous gasses from the plastic and finishes.

I understand why you'd be upset, but you should admit that you're upset based on assumptions you made, not based on what was promised. Certainly there was no legal guarantee of availability of any particular model or any particular delivery date. The Model X Reservation Agreement is clear on this. "2. [..] This Agreement does not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Model X and does not lock in pricing, a production slot, or an estimated delivery date. You are under no obligation to purchase a Model X from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Model X or any other vehicle." "7. [..] We will establish your reservation sequence position in our sole discretion."
There is still no indication that other cars will get ahead of you in the line just because of a more expensive trim.

part of this is that I'm kind of p*ssed at tesla. I think they should have been more clear when they said the base model will cost 5k more than the S, to say that they were talking about the 90D. There's people like me who thought they were actually reserving a place in line. But here we are finding out that anyone who's willing to pay for the 90D gets to go in front of everyone who only wants a 70D! That doesn't sound like a line anymore to me!

they want. Well, I think they should have had all variants of the X ready to go and just let the pieces fall where they may. That's the fairest way to do it and in time all the people would end up with their tesla in the order they got in line. ...
Now im left with a sour taste in my mouth and really, there's a good chance tesla will totally lose my sale. At least for another 8+ years.

If I had made the assumptions you did, I'd be disappointed as well.
The 70D is fully engineered and ready to go.
This is the same way the Model S came out.
The more expensive models first, then the next, and so on.

I am sorry you didn't see the history and were expecting a simultaneous release.

I haven't read through this entire thread (I did most of it though). Figured I'd share my take on why I may cancel.

Sadly, I think the truth is they probably want smaller motors in the 70D, and that requires engineering effort. And thats probably why they aren't ready. I doubt that they have everything in place to start building 70Ds today, but just won't due to the desire to get more profits sooner. And that comes back to the core of my disappointment. They should have been less cryptic with the predicted price. I feel like I was duped into putting 5k down so I could wait a year only to be told it will be another 12 months (or so!).

Ugh. I'm just not excited about any other car...but the pilot or highlander will probably be it. It's hard to argue with $50k savings
X will have low range with 70D. If someone tries to tow with it saying Tesla said it has towing capacity and runs out of range mid way it will be bad publicity for Tesla. I think Tesla is waiting for improved cells manufacturing at Gigafactory so maybe it can make a 75D or 80D X with the same battery weight of 70 kwh pack.
One more reason-X is a marvel of engineering (my opinion) and took a lot of money and time to develop. Hence, Tesla would want to cash on the initial madness with premium version sales and when things cool down introduce the low margin base version. (My guess).

If I had made the assumptions you did, I'd be disappointed as well.
The 70D is fully engineered and ready to go.
This is the same way the Model S came out.
The more expensive models first, then the next, and so on.

I am sorry you didn't see the history and were expecting a simultaneous release.
Of course this "history" you talk about is totally subjective. My recollection is that when the X was announced it was initially stated it would be available in both 60 and 85 battery options. Obviously that changed due to the advancement of battery technology and the long delay. Given that, I don't think it's unreasonable at all that people would have expected to have a choice of battery options when the X finally became available.