Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very sad... Fatality in a Model S on the 405

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In times like this one wishes drawing on the wheel or quartering and butchering were still permissible sentences.

Unfortunately the neoliberal left forgets that there is a segment of our population who live instinctively and thus the only effective deterrent is the fear of death. Look at Europe, a driver like this will get his identity protected and released for good behavior in 5 years.

Here's a pic from the scene of the accident taken by one of the passengers from the Honda that was hit from behind by the Tesla. That passenger says they were traveling at a speed of about 5 mph when they were hit, so it stands to reason that traffic was at a near stand still when the SUV came barreling up from behind at a high rate of speed and crossed into their lane. Here's an excerpt from a FB post of that passenger and his account of the accident:

"I almost died yesterday on the 405 Freeway because of a reckless, drunk driver. I was riding with XXXXXX and XXXXXX in a black Honda Civic, sitting in the rear passenger seat. We were coming to a stop in the carpool lane, riding 5mph, just chatting and listening to reggae. Then out of the blue, we hear a car honk right behind us, a loud crash, then in a split second, an even louder BANG came from our very own collision. Everyone in our car was fortunately alright. However, the family behind us was not. We look over to our left hand side to see a black Chevy Tahoe, completely Smashed into the Tesla that was originally behind us. Behind the wheel of the Tesla was a father that had blood all over the back of his head. Because of shock, the father was moving on autopilot, without any reaction on his face, attempting to save his two unconscious daughters, whom were pinned between the car seats and the Chevy Tahoe. One daughter behind the drivers seat was 7 years old, stuck next to her was her 13 year old sister. The drunk driver in the Tahoe was alive, physically unscathed, and frantically pacing back and forth. To our surprise, the CHP showed up to the scene no longer than 10 seconds from the horrific collision. Turns out they have been receiving reports and phone calls of a black Tahoe swerving in and out on the 405 freeway, and were already in the pursuit of the drunk driver. The CHP, Fire Fighters, and employees of MR. C Towing spent the next 15 mins trying everything they could to pry out the door and save the 2 little girls stuck in the Tessla. After pulling out their bodies, they said that the 7 year old girl did not make it. The 13 year old, although breathing, was still unconscious and was put into critical care. The father, which I don't think was even conscious during the entire ordeal, was placed on a stretcher and sent to critical care. I remember the drunk dunce behind the wheel of the Tahoe was being interrogated by the CHP right next to me, and was asked the question as to why this happened. The idiot says, "I was late and in a rush." He was cuffed, and was taken to jail.

Attachments

• 14068387_1025989434189493_5329483105679930115_o.jpg
    14068387_1025989434189493_5329483105679930115_o.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2,461
Here's a pic from the scene of the accident taken by one of the passengers from the Honda that was hit from behind by the Tesla. That passenger says they were traveling at a speed of about 5 mph when they were hit, so it stands to reason that traffic was at a near stand still when the SUV came barreling up from behind at a high rate of speed and crossed into their lane. Here's an excerpt from a FB post of that passenger and his account of the accident:

"I almost died yesterday on the 405 Freeway because of a reckless, drunk driver. I was riding with XXXXXX and XXXXXX in a black Honda Civic, sitting in the rear passenger seat. We were coming to a stop in the carpool lane, riding 5mph, just chatting and listening to reggae. Then out of the blue, we hear a car honk right behind us, a loud crash, then in a split second, an even louder BANG came from our very own collision. Everyone in our car was fortunately alright. However, the family behind us was not. We look over to our left hand side to see a black Chevy Tahoe, completely Smashed into the Tesla that was originally behind us. Behind the wheel of the Tesla was a father that had blood all over the back of his head. Because of shock, the father was moving on autopilot, without any reaction on his face, attempting to save his two unconscious daughters, whom were pinned between the car seats and the Chevy Tahoe. One daughter behind the drivers seat was 7 years old, stuck next to her was her 13 year old sister. The drunk driver in the Tahoe was alive, physically unscathed, and frantically pacing back and forth. To our surprise, the CHP showed up to the scene no longer than 10 seconds from the horrific collision. Turns out they have been receiving reports and phone calls of a black Tahoe swerving in and out on the 405 freeway, and were already in the pursuit of the drunk driver. The CHP, Fire Fighters, and employees of MR. C Towing spent the next 15 mins trying everything they could to pry out the door and save the 2 little girls stuck in the Tessla. After pulling out their bodies, they said that the 7 year old girl did not make it. The 13 year old, although breathing, was still unconscious and was put into critical care. The father, which I don't think was even conscious during the entire ordeal, was placed on a stretcher and sent to critical care. I remember the drunk dunce behind the wheel of the Tahoe was being interrogated by the CHP right next to me, and was asked the question as to why this happened. The idiot says, "I was late and in a rush." He was cuffed, and was taken to jail.

And here's what the Dad who was driving the Tesla posted in response to the passenger's detailed account of the accident:

Don Geddis
I'm the dad that was in the Tesla. Thanks to XXXXX for posting his story. I don't have any memories of the impact itself, or for some minutes afterwards, so it's nice to hear an eyewitness description about what was happening. I remember thinking that I might want to honk my horn. Perhaps, from Jeff's description, I actually managed to do it. I was discharged from the hospital yesterday (with a skull fracture), but my daughter is still in the PICU.

Here's a pic from the scene of the accident taken by one of the passengers from the Honda that was hit from behind by the Tesla.

Looking at the new photo, the main cabin/rear seat area looks pretty intact. I am surprised by the outcome in terms of severe injuries in light of the appearance of the car and the fact that it was a rear impact (full disclosure I am an EMS and emergency physician so have seen my share of collisions and injury patterns over the years).

Echoing many others, it sends chills down my spine. As another father of two young children who are frequent passengers, also a midnight silver metallic Model S...I can't even begin to fathom the emotions. Prayers and condolences to the family. I know that after reading this thread last night, I hugged my 4 year old a little longer last night.

Looking at the new photo, the main cabin/rear seat area looks pretty intact. I am surprised by the outcome in terms of severe injuries in light of the appearance of the car ....

From the pictures of the Tesla after it was loaded on the flatbed, it appears to have not been hit squarely. The compression on car's structure on the passenger side rear was past the mid-line of the rear wheel-- quite substantially more intrusion than what the driver's side rear experienced. Which is makes sense if you consider that the truck was reported to have swerved from roadway to the right of the Tesla, that it would have hit the rear at an angle to that corner of the Tesla.

AR-160819713.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

This thread just makes me VERY VERY VERY sad. I was resisting leaving a comment since I had nothing I could say to make things better.

But .. I am hoping the few words I write here may cause a behavior change in some of us. Even if it does in one of us, it's still a win.

Looking at the facts,
The suspect Adam Kanas, 36, had a prior DUI conviction. He was on probation.
Now he may get 41 years to life - assuming his slime bag attorneys have a soul and conscience left in them.
He was probably having a great time drugging, knowing it was a risk and a bad idea, but he thought it'd be OKAY.
Seconds later he is looking at jail for rest of his life. Not to mention the hurt he caused to others who had nothing to do with this.

So ....

1. One brief mistake can completely ruin your entire life.
2. One brief mistake can completely change the life of many, who had the judgement to not make such a mistake.
3. Be careful people. Many of us are sensible enough not to drink and drive, but stats show texting and driving is just as bad.

So, don't be stupid. Don't do it. Be careful. Think about who you may hurt, and if you are too damned self centered, is that text or drink or distraction or show off in your ludicrous worth being behind bars for rest of your life? Or being injured or maimed?

I say this, as another fellow Tesla owner, was doing something incredibly stupid with autopilot. Seriously, all I ask of you is, don't be stupid on the road, please.

I appreciate all the expressions of sympathy. I did not have rear-facing trunk seats. My daughters were in the normal second row, with their seat belts on. At the time of the accident, my car was stopped on the freeway (as was the traffic ahead of me). I believe the car that rear-ended me was traveling at roughly normal highway speeds.

I lost my mother recently and I imagine losing a daughter could only be worse. I'm sorry.

I hope your car's seatback wasn't involved in your daughter's death. There's been a lot in the news lately about automakers failing to make front seats safer for back seat occupants in rear-end collisions.

Auto safety experts demand NHTSA action on seatback failures - CBS News

I have read few threads over the years that have evoked a tear in the eye, but this is one of them.

Condolences to Don and his family for this unspeakable tragedy. Words are not enough.

I can only hope that asap, additional safety measures are implemented across the board - for example, speed governors for vehicles driven by DUI offenders would seem reasonable, not to mention mandatory breathalyzer interlocks.

I doubt all cars on the road will have collision avoidance features in my lifetime, but every single thing we can do in the meantime is the essence of a moral imperative.

This thread should be mandatory reading for every auto industry executive, engineer, and lobbyist. Not to mention for all legislators. Annually.

As the father of three girls, I can't even comprehend what this father is going through. So, so, sad. It makes my heart break and all the more tragic since it was so easily prevented by simply calling a cab. We all know when we get in a car after drinking we risk killing someone. It's the same as firing a gun into a crowd. I hope he spends a long, long time bars contemplating what he did to this poor family.

This is tragic. But looking at the car makes me question the wisdom of the rear-facing seats. I remember one reason for not putting a wayback seat in most cars is that is the crumple zone. Looking at this picture confirms this. Will the reinforcement that comes with the rear-facing seat be strong enough?

This is tragic. But looking at the car makes me question the wisdom of the rear-facing seats. I remember one reason for not putting a wayback seat in most cars is that is the crumple zone. Looking at this picture confirms this. Will the reinforcement that comes with the rear-facing seat be strong enough?

I'm not sure that there is any standard passenger car that could have done better in this horrific collision. The Tahoe had it's bumper above the Model S bumper and over-rode it. If the bumpers were aligned, maybe this would not have ended so tragically. The optional rear facing 3rd row seats are not the issue.