TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Very sad... Fatality in a Model S on the 405

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Az_Rael, Aug 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NeilErdwien

NeilErdwien Member

I can add nothing but a "Me too" to the sentiments expressed before me. This tragedy makes all our hearts ache.

• Like x 1
  2. HHHH

HHHH Member

Deepest condolences

• Like x 1
  3. Chopper

Chopper Member

Reading this from across the pond with a tear in my eye. Deepest sympathy for your loss and wishing your other daughter a speedy recovery.

4. googlepeakoil

googlepeakoil Member

What a senseless waste. The guy was drunk in the middle of the day. Not driving on empty roads (not that that's an excuse) but I hope they throw the book at him.
    You can see in the 2nd photo on pg1 that the number plate (and evidently rear of the car) has been seperated from the base and driven up and almost horizontal. There's then a high chance that some part of the metal pushed through to the rear passenger seats of the cars injuring both children.
    <rant> The high bumpers of SUV's makes me very glad in Europe that trucks are far far less common. People buy these large SUV's often as status symbols with no thought about safety of pedestrians, other road users, cyclists, pollution (eg. benzene - a petrol additive is a carcainogen at 1 part per billion - there is no safe limit).
    With their high fronts they make the bumper ride up into the passenger cabin - missing the floor of most cars. The make pedestrian collisions more likely to be fatal (obvious really where a normal car might hit the legs, waist) a taller car with a high front is likely to hit the trunk or head - making even low speed collisions more likely to be fatal... then (and a contributing factor must be their height + weight) you often hear about people reversing over their family members on their own drive! In Europe I think they banned "bull-bars" for this reason.
    The mass of the Tahoe (5600 pounds - 2.5 tons) is even more than the Tesla. Then you have a lot more kinetic energy to stop.

5. googlepeakoil

googlepeakoil Member

Each collision would become significantly less intense.
    People can survive momentary G's in the 50's and low 100's. I've seen studies on this. eg. a 50mph car coming to a stop in about 1m can lead to that g force. But that's survivable (providing you're wearing your seat-belt). A compromised car interior is more likely not.

• Like x 1
  6. googlepeakoil

googlepeakoil Member

My god - am so sorry to hear of your loss. With 2 daughters myself I can't imagine what you must be going through. I'm touched to see the sympathy from the community both here and in your home town. Finally - I hope they prosecute the other driver to the full extent of the law. I really feel high SUV's are not safe for other road users - and being driven by a drunk are a lethal weapon.

7. Max*

Max* Charging

I'm sorry about your loss.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#68 JeffK, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    I've seen the entire backseat area of a car smashed by a drunk driver... that's not a guarantee of safety either.

Also the passengers in question were in the back seat not rear facing trunk seats.

It's terrifying that drunk driving accidents can happen at seemingly random. Even in one of the world's safest cars, passengers still aren't safe from people who shouldn't be driving.

I hope autonomous cars come as soon as possible and there's widespread adoption, especially for people who have a propensity to drink.

9. jbumps

jbumps Member

Don - you have my sincerest condolences. I wish you and your daughter the best in your recovery.

10. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that your daughter is doing better and that you are also recovering. I echo what was said above in that if there is anything we can do, then reach out to us.

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

My heart breaks for you and your family. I am so sorry.

12. zkmusa

zkmusa Member

Don, as a father of two daughters myself, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. My deepest sympathies to your family.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

So sorry for your loss. I hope your older daughter is okay and makes a full recovery.

14. JPP

JPP Active Member

Very little I can say to mitigate your pain, but offer you a poem I learned a long time ago:

People so seldom say
    I love you
    and either it's too late
    Or love goes
    So when I tell you
    I love you
    It doesn't mean I know you'll never go
    only that I wish you didn't have to.

15. Owner

Owner Active Member

My sympathies are included also. Just so heartbreaking.

Its good to know your feeling well enough to read this forum. Thanks for letting the public also know the details of the incident to avoid unnecessary speculation.

• Like x 3
  16. Mike K

Mike K Member

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the emotions you must be experiencing right now. Words feel meaningless. I just want to reach through the computer and hug you.

17. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. If there's anything we in the Tesla owner / enthusiast community can do to help, please let us know.

Bruce.

• Like x 2
  18. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I would also like to extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family. Absolutely horrible.

I wish I could come up with something more to say but am unable...

Jeff

19. Bridor

Bridor Member

Don,

What a terrible tragedy. I imagine you felt hopeless in that kind of situation when you are stuck in traffic and something comes barreling towards you at full speed. I echo others in that I am here for you - please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help.

Brent

20. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Active Member

So sorry Don.
    Obviously the Tesla family from Coast to Coast and around the world is thinking of you and your loved ones as you face this tragedy.

• Like x 3