Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victoria Registrations - the most short sighted legislation of the year award!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have received my renewal and no discount so rang Vic Roads.

The hybrid discount does not apply to Teslas it only applies to hybrids as defined as driven by "both electricity and fuel"...as the Tesla is electricity only it does not receive the discount!

Now this is one of the funniest rulings ever!

Cheers
Higgy

Higgy, please refer them to the

ROAD SAFETY (VEHICLES) REGULATIONS 2009 - REG 102

(3) If a motor vehicle is a hybrid vehicle or an electric powered passenger car, the fee to be paid for registration or renewal of registration of the vehicle is—
(a) nil, if the fee that would otherwise be payable under section 9 of the Act or Schedule 3 is less than $100; or
(b) in any other case, the fee that would otherwise be payable under section 9 of the Act or Schedule 3, less $100.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/rsr2009309/s102.html

(3) If a motor vehicle is a hybrid vehicle or an electric powered passenger car, the fee to be paid for registration or renewal of registration of the vehicle is—
(a) nil, if the fee that would otherwise be payable under section 9 of the Act or Schedule 3 is less than $100; or
(b) in any other case, the fee that would otherwise be payable under section 9 of the Act or Schedule 3, less $100.

Thanks Mike - I'll ring on Monday - looks like it is the written interpretation not the original legislation!

So all is well (Thanks Mike). After a long......long phone call referring to the regulation note above and referring to various team leaders etc they have acknowledged a mistake and are sending out a new form....the girl was unable to say if it was only my car or a mistake for all Teslas.

I asked then to check and do a blanket amendment if this was the case...

Cheers
Higgy

So all is well (Thanks Mike). After a long......long phone call referring to the regulation note above and referring to various team leaders etc they have acknowledged a mistake and are sending out a new form....the girl was unable to say if it was only my car or a mistake for all Teslas.

Cheers
Higgy

So does this mistake and a pending amendment apply to all EVs or just Teslas?

Cheers
Higgy

So this is me holding my breath (big inhale)...