Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Driver left scene of an accident / Update: driver caught

What should be done to the person if they are caught?

• Ban from purchasing a Tesla

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Jail (7+ days)

Votes: 22 8.2%
  • Fine ($1k+)

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Throw the book at him/her (all of the above)

Votes: 168 62.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry this happened to you! I don’t think envy has anything to do with it since there are plenty of nicer cars out there than a Tesla Model 3. I do agree that there are Tesla haters out there. I don’t understand it to be honest. Most Tesla owners are normal people.

Based on my conversation with her, she wanted to, however, without the video, I doubt she would have. Can tell she is not financially sound, so I understand the "wait and see" approach, however it probably wasn't the best moral decision.

For our purposes, I'll say "she would have." Thankfully I don't need to find out.

Not the best legal decision either. You were kind not to call the cops for a hit and run.

has the FUD really paranoid so many people into thinking that every single thing is a case of tesla hate? there are a handful of isolated malicious actions, sure. but seriously people, most drivers are idiots. a large percentage of those idiots will run, just like this person. tesla owners are not being targeted (well, except maybe for those corner window break ins), and aren't a persecuted class of drivers.

How the hell is $5k minimum insurance a thing

Tell me about it...

Unfortunately we are a state run by Democrats and they've blocked numerous opportunities [over the years] to increase the minimum.

We also have a program in NJ called Dollar A Day insurance and it provides no coverage to a victim who is hit by the insured. It's crap like this that is a total joke.

When the average value of a new car is ~30k, that should be the minimum property damage insurance available. Frankly, $50k should be the minimum. Problem is, between legislators and insurance companies, they don't want to make the change.

I expect the carrier will just issue a check for $5k and then they are free & clear and I'm stuck having to run the balance through my carrier which then will potentially increase my rates.

C'est la vie!

I'm going to try to find a moderator so I can update the title... TY for that suggestion (I actually was trying to do it myself but couldn't find a way to).

I expect the carrier will just issue a check for $5k and then they are free & clear and I'm stuck having to run the balance through my carrier which then will potentially increase my rates.

In this case, because it's so unbelievably clear you're not-at-fault, I'd just run it through your insurance from the start. Let them deal with the other carrier and make your life easy. Your rates should be fine ....

Can I ask who your carrier is? I had a similar situation years ago where someone sideswiped me in a parking lot at ShopRite. We have State Farm and it was the easiest thing ever. I called them, they told me to bring to a body shop, I let the dealership's body shop deal with State Farm, they repaired it and got it back to me a few days later. No big deal.

Reactions: CSFTN
Tell me about it...

Unfortunately we are a state run by Democrats and they've blocked numerous opportunities [over the years] to increase the minimum.

We also have a program in NJ called Dollar A Day insurance and it provides no coverage to a victim who is hit by the insured. It's crap like this that is a total joke.

When the average value of a new car is ~30k, that should be the minimum property damage insurance available. Frankly, $50k should be the minimum. Problem is, between legislators and insurance companies, they don't want to make the change.

C'est la vie!

I'm going to try to find a moderator so I can update the title... TY for that suggestion (I actually was trying to do it myself but couldn't find a way to).

Minimum liability is 1million CAD in Ontario. Most push it to 2million for 3$/month more. How the hell do people drive with such low insurance?

Reactions: C141medic
Can I ask who your carrier is?

I probably will run it all through my carrier, Plymouth Rock, but I want to get estimates first to see what the damage cost will be. Hoping for a diminshed value claim as well... as now I have a 2018 Tesla with a carfax "accident."

I have accident forgiveness, but I want that for if/when I cause the accident not when an underinsured/distracted driver hits me.

Reactions: dmurphy
Well... those of us who thought it was intentional lost.
Fabulous. Glad to hear you got it resolved and that there isn't some crazed person in the neighborhood. Thanks for the info.
It's a good example of I never say 100% anything. There is always another possibility.
And yes, that Nest HELLO doorbell is fabulous. I have tried all of them and like that one best.

Minimum liability is 1million CAD in Ontario. Most push it to 2million for 3$/month more. How the hell do people drive with such low insurance?

It's because they say "poor people will drive uninsured if the cost of insurance is too high."

In reality, folks are going to drive uninsured is they are not good citizens of the State. There are numerous options almost everywhere allowing you to get around without a car, even if it means an Uber.

The worst commercials are when taglines or mottos like "legal for less" and "be covered" are used because it gives the insured a false sense of reality. $5k property damage coverage is not insured... and she was paying over $2k for 6 months... so at that point, you could almost self insure the limit. You buy insurance with a limit that you could not afford to pay to someone else yourself.

Anyway, I'll be fine... unfortunately her situation is more dire... which I empathize with, but at the end of the day... she caused the accident and I'm "stuck" making up for her mistake.

This is not unlike the current situation in our country... and why many are frustrated. Those that do what is right are expected to accept others (and often pay for those) that do not. There is nothing wrong helping those that are in TRUE need... there is a problem when you are forced to do things and pay for it at the same time when folks are lazy, selfish, unwise... etc. I recognize there are lots of variables, but we all see it from day to day. Not to rant... just personal perspective.

Last edited:
Fabulous. Glad to hear you got it resolved and that there isn't some crazed person in the neighborhood. Thanks for the info.
It's a good example of I never say 100% anything. There is always another possibility.
And yes, that Nest HELLO doorbell is fabulous. I have tried all of them and like that one best.

From the aspect ratio that looks like a Nest Cam, not a Nest Hello. I have both - and yes they are so great!

Glad the OP got to the bottom of the mystery. It’s interesting how people see whatever they want to. For me, it was “clear” this was an accident and not malicious. For others, it was clearly malicious. People are funny that way.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
It's because they say "poor people will drive uninsured if the cost of insurance is too high."

In reality, folks are going to drive uninsured is they are not good citizens of the State. There are numerous options almost everywhere allowing you to get around without a car, even if it means an Uber.

The worst commercials are when taglines or mottos like "legal for less" and "be covered" are used because it gives the insured a false sense of reality. $5k property damage coverage is not insured... and she was paying over $2k for 6 months... so at that point, you could almost self insure the limit. You buy insurance with a limit that you could not afford to pay to someone else yourself.

Anyway, I'll be fine... unfortunately her situation is more dire... which I empathize with, but at the end of the day... she caused the accident and I'm "stuck" making up for her mistake.

This is not unlike the current situation in our country... and why many are frustrated. Those that do what is right are expected to accept others (and often pay for those) that do not. There is nothing wrong helping those that are in TRUE need... there is a problem when you are forced to do things and pay for it at the same time when folks are lazy, selfish, unwise... etc. I recognize there are lots of variables, but we all see it from day to day. Not to rant... just personal perspective.

The biggest problem we have with our insurance is that they're guaranteed a 15% YoY profit by our provincial laws. Even if you're accident free for 20 years, no claims, and etc etc rate saving perks. The rates go up, it's bonkers. I don't know what the situation is in the US. Capitalism is failing society.

I probably will run it all through my carrier, Plymouth Rock, but I want to get estimates first to see what the damage cost will be. Hoping for a diminshed value claim as well... as now I have a 2018 Tesla with a carfax "accident."

I have accident forgiveness, but I want that for if/when I cause the accident not when an underinsured/distracted driver hits me.

Thankfully, NJ is one of the (very) few states where you can file a diminished value claim against your own insurance company, in the event you need to use your own uninsured/underinsured insurance. So at least you got that goin' for ya...

Good luck through all this! I'm out here in Morris Cty so if there's anything I can do to help - need to borrow a Model 3 for comparison purposes or something - just send me a PM ...

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic