Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Here's why you have to keep your eyes on the road when using Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To OP: I would not be driving with AP in those conditions, with bots and fuzy lines. Those are friggin bots and AP does not do a good job of finding the lane. Why would you use AP in those conditions? Also why the left lane?

• Disagree
Reactions: KZKZ
This whole debate has burned me on teslamotorsclub. I've been a frequent poster on numerous other forums with thousands of posts (overclock.net, forum.notebookreivew.com, reddit, etc). I've never been to a forum where thread bashing was so opening accepted as it is here. It's disappointing. I'll wasted so much time proving my case to argumentative people here. I already regret it, I should have done what the people who messaged me said to do, "Just my two cents - you need to ignore the nutjobs on TMC. There are people on here who act like they are married to Elon Musk or are his blood relative, and anything negative about the Model S is a personal attack on them. Therefore, its a lie! Please don't let them bother you!" Another user messaged "Ignore the noise-makers on this forum. They tend to make noise just to hear themselves make noise." From now on, that will be my attitude.

Thank you to everyone who believed me in the first place. To those who didn't here you go....

Thanks for posting all that you have and for enduring the stings from the swarms who feel they need to protect the Queen Bee, or something.

Last edited:
If I can ask a slightly off-topic question since it seems like the conversation has settled down, how do you get the audio always on in your Blackvue? Mine seems to always be off and I have the setting turned to on so I'm really confused.

Plus, it may have gotten lost earlier in the thread but @supratachophobia asked how the defrost vents don't show up in the video; I'm curious as well because my videos seem to always show them. Perhaps it was based on where the sun was positioned during the day or something else.

If I can ask a slightly off-topic question since it seems like the conversation has settled down, how do you get the audio always on in your Blackvue? Mine seems to always be off and I have the setting turned to on so I'm really confused.

Plus, it may have gotten lost earlier in the thread but @supratachophobia asked how the defrost vents don't show up in the video; I'm curious as well because my videos seem to always show them. Perhaps it was based on where the sun was positioned during the day or something else.

I just selected the Audio ON option within the blackvue C app. I'm not sure there is anything else to it. When you compare the weakness of my audio volume, with Sorka's higher volume, and your "no volume", I wonder if blackvue has a quality control problem with their microphones. I even wondered if I had packing tape on it still or something else muffling the sound.

My front windshield has tint on it, it is fairly dark. That's probably the cause of the different reflections in my window.
MyTesla.JPG

Reactions: hybridbear
I just selected the Audio ON option within the blackvue C app. I'm not sure there is anything else to it. When you compare the weakness of my audio volume, with Sorka's higher volume, and your "no volume", I wonder if blackvue has a quality control problem with their microphones. I even wondered if I had packing tape on it still or something else muffling the sound.

My front windshield has tint on it, it is fairly dark. That's probably the cause of the different reflections in my window.
View attachment 186630
Mystery solved!

View attachment 186630

So yes, the engagement tone is clearly heard when you turned it on and it is clearly not heard when you swerve back over to your lane. It's a little quieter than the sample I posted but not that much quieter. It's still pretty obvious.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but the reason I don't hear it at the swerve event is because I do hear it at 19:26, just a bit more than a minute before the swerve incident. But it occurs at exactly the video clip transition boundary where the sound cuts out. Using headphones, you can clearly here the tail end of the second lower tone of the two tone chime after the sound comes back after the clip transition.

I understand your frustration at being questioned. There are threads many thousands of messages long in this forum with epic battles that will probably be told for generations. I really wouldn't use the term troll towards those that have thousands of posts and thousands of rep points. A troll is someone who has a clear agenda, no rep, and very few posts. I've defended and bashed Tesla at about an equal rate depending on the issue as others will attest. I've even switched sides on some issues when evidence warrants it.

I'm not trying to troll you or pick on you. I've even given you a few likes in this thread.

Last edited:

View attachment 186630
Are you brining this car to the TMC event?

View attachment 186630
I'm sorry. I can clearly hear a woman and a child talking. My warning sounds are louder than the people talking in the car.

No matter...I'm not sure what you are looking for in this thread. What would you like to see happen?

Might I also suggest that you not mention too many times the darkness of your front window tint. There might be some LE in this forum that would love to track your car.

Reactions: sorka
I'm done with this thread. I should have followed this advice of the people who messaged me. Sorka I think you're so desperate to not be wrong you can't back down. Now you're saying I unknowingly turned off the Autopilot 1 minute before the event. The only way that could happen is if I manually pushed in the knob. If I had pushed in the knob, the TACC would have turned off also, and the car would have either A) lurched forward due to regenerative braking or B) speed up when I had to put my foot into the gas. The car doesn't move, it maintains speed all the way up until the event, which proves the TACC was not turned off and that I didn't touch the AP lever. We know I didn't turn the steering wheel because the car doesn't move to the left or the right. Then the car then makes 2 turns which I distinctly remember feeling the steering wheel making. Even if I had turned off the Autopilot (which I did not), I would have drifted left when the event occurred, not to the right, but we already covered that. Not to mention the oh so incredible "coincidence" that the seam occurs right then. Lastly, a Tesla engineer private messaged me today requesting the GPS coordinates of the incident so that they can investigate it and prevent it from occurring again. If AP turned off before it happened, they wouldn't have messaged me. I'm done, nothing is going to convince you.

Are you brining this car to the TMC event?

Garlan I wouldn't let you anywhere near my car.

Might I also suggest that you not mention too many times the darkness of your front window tint. There might be some LE in this forum that would love to track your car.

I work with LE all day every day. They don't care about my tint. Even if they did, they wouldn't ticket me. You're subtle attempt to be threatening is humorous. The idea that LE has nothing better to do than listen to your forum suggestions is nuts, they're much more concerned with not getting ambushed and going real police work, I know, because I work with them.

@valkeriefire

Keep using AP, it will learn and get better. My personal experience is that it did. Being vigilant about using AP is good.

Spam Tesla with your problems at [email protected] (or [email protected]) every time you have an AP problem (or even non-AP problem). I tried to always include information on location, heading, speed, time of day, issues, and some theories about what I think is causing the problem. I think it helps them pull the logs.

They are quite good about responding, and are proactive about fixing things as long as they know there is a problem. I find the email to them works quite well.

Enjoy your S!:)

I'm done with this thread. I should have followed this advice of the people who messaged me. Sorka I think you're so desperate to not be wrong you can't back down. Now you're saying I unknowingly turned off the Autopilot 1 minute before the event. The only way that could happen is if I manually pushed in the knob. If I had pushed in the knob, the TACC would have turned off also, and the car would have either A) lurched forward due to regenerative braking or B) speed up when I had to put my foot into the gas. The car doesn't move, it maintains speed all the way up until the event, which proves the TACC was not turned off and that I didn't touch the AP lever. We know I didn't turn the steering wheel because the car doesn't move to the left or the right. Then the car then makes 2 turns which I distinctly remember feeling the steering wheel making. Even if I had turned off the Autopilot (which I did not), I would have drifted left when the event occurred, not to the right, but we already covered that. Not to mention the oh so incredible "coincidence" that the seam occurs right then. Lastly, a Tesla engineer private messaged me today requesting the GPS coordinates of the incident so that they can investigate it and prevent it from occurring again. If AP turned off before it happened, they wouldn't have messaged me. I'm done, nothing is going to convince you.

Garlan I wouldn't let you anywhere near my car.

I work with LE all day every day. They don't care about my tint. Even if they did, they wouldn't ticket me. You're subtle attempt to be threatening is humorous. The idea that LE has nothing better to do than listen to your forum suggestions is nuts, they're much more concerned with not getting ambushed and going real police work, I know, because I work with them.
LOL.

You never answer any questions that question the validity of your claims.
Illegal window tint is Illegal. No matter what response you do or don't get from LE.
Dark tint on the front windshield? I won't have to get near the car to see that. I'll see it. I'll be there.

I'm still not sure what you want from this thread.

Last edited:
On my trip back from Los Angeles, while on Autopilot, this exact thing happened to me. A silver Audi was coming up on my right hand side, my hands were on the wheel lightly. As the Audi was passing, my MS, which was working perfectly and had no issue with station keeping in the lane, meandered over towards the Audi. It was not a sudden dive at the Audi, but it crossed over the lane marker and I had to take control. I do remember that Autopilot had disengaged when I took the wheel. I watched the whole thing happen, was paying attention, and corrected the situation.

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
the reason I don't hear it at the swerve event is because I do hear it at 19:26, just a bit more than a minute before the swerve incident. But it occurs at exactly the video clip transition boundary where the sound cuts out. Using headphones, you can clearly here the tail end of the second lower tone of the two tone chime after the sound comes back after the clip transition.

Are you making up timestamps now? I've watched all the videos in this thread twice now looking for 19:26 and I don't see that on any of the videos.

Are you talking about
which is only 6:57 long and the blackvue timestamp says 14:21:xx at the end of the video and 14:20:xx near the time of the event.

I really wonder what you are watching.

I won't have to get near the car to see that. I'll see it. I'll be there.

Now I have an internet stalker. Creepy. This thread is out of control. Garlan's last post makes me seriously uncomfortable. Obviously Sorka and Garlan aren't going to be convinced, so any further discussion is pointless. I won't be reading or posting in this thread again.

trolls-02.jpg

From 5 Most Effective Ways To Deal With Arrogant Internet Trolls

Fortunately, it’s easy to spot an Internet troll from a distance. They have their own sets of socially unacceptable behaviors.

• Trolls generally use provocative and confrontational language. A clever one will mix it up with relevant and friendly posts.
  • Trolls hardly ever stick to the topic; they beat around the bush with the intention to confuse the reader.
  • Trolls of the subtle variety flag off their attack with innocent questions. You will often find them dressed up as new members of forums and chat rooms.
  • Trolls lack understanding of a topic. They will not respond with a proper answer to a proper question.
  • Trolls (especially the clever variants) use catch phrases to win sympathy. For instance, they may portray themselves as victims or specially challenged.
  • Trolls use web addresses or fictitious online identities that lead to dead ends.
  • Trolls may make desperate efforts to make themselves liked. Sugar coated responses or overt-flattering comments are signature troll moves.
Avoidance is the best policy: If you can catch them shooting their mouths off, totally ignore remarks left by trolls. Don’t feed the trolls should be stuck up on a yellow sticky always.

Avoid arguments: If you do get on a one-to-one with someone you suspect to be a troll, keep your remarks to an absolute minimum. State your facts and move on. Put the ball in their court. By the second remark or so, a troll would have identified himself.

Don’t let them flatter to deceive: There is a high chance that a troll will pay a compliment or two to ingratiate himself before he starts his attack. This is a tough one as there are many real admirers who do sugar coat their comments.

Ask For Supporting Data: To net a troll in the anti-spam net, you can ask for data that can quickly verified like an email address or domain name. Genuine commentators usually have an online persona to back themselves.

The power of the webmaster: You can use blacklists and whitelists to separate the bad from the good. IP addresses can be tracked and persistent attacks from an IP or a range of IPs can be effectively blocked.

Did Einstein know a few trolls when he said – “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the universe.”

Here was another Private Message I received, all references to the sender have been redacted. Thanks for the support, I won't be feeding any more trolls.

f810b2b36b4e8e9454b341ac3a923a16.png

Now I have an internet stalker. Creepy. This thread is out of control. Garlan's last post makes me seriously uncomfortable. Obviously Sorka and Garlan aren't going to be convinced, so any further discussion is pointless. I won't be reading or posting in this thread again.

trolls-02.jpg

From 5 Most Effective Ways To Deal With Arrogant Internet Trolls

Here was another Private Message I received, all references to the sender have been redacted. Thanks for the support, I won't be feeding any more trolls.

f810b2b36b4e8e9454b341ac3a923a16.png
I was coming to TMC before this thread.