TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Video] Managed to create an AEB instance

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Carspotter Daily, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Carspotter Daily

After so many attempts to get AEB to kick in, i've got it! The reason it took so many tries is because the driver hit the brakes before AEB could engage. It's hard to say if the car would have stopped in time, had the driver not braked in those instances. Anyway, the video is below along with the blog post.

Thanks Tesla, for another immaculate feature!

Blog Post

I also tested Model S's ability to detect pedestrians while travelling around corners. This isn't supposed to work, as Tesla has not commented on this functionality. The ultrasonics picked up the pedestrian, but, obviously did not activate AEB. Apparently both the radar and camera did not pick up the pedestrian at all.

• Like x 2
  2. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Wow, very cool!! Was this AP1 or AP2? What firmware version is this? Thanks

3. FlyingCookie

FlyingCookie Member

I accidentally caused AEB to work on an AP2 car in March... Completely zoned out for some reason and would have certainly smacked into the car in front of me if it hadn't beeped at me and stood on the brakes.

• Like x 1
  4. Tam

Tam Active Member

People kept writing that AEB for AP2 is not activated yet.

Thanks for the demo that disproves that notion.

5. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

When I emailed Tesla about this for HW2 EAP , the confirmed that only FCW is available and no AEB. Also surprised to see a pedestrian drawn in the IC - is this AP1?

Also does AEB only work at certain speed ? Coz I can swear that my car did not show any signed of stoppeinf in creep mode when once a runner darted out around the corener of a stop sign.

6. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I asked the OP earlier as well whether AP1 or AP2. My guess (based on AP1 loaners and owning an AP2 90D) is that this is an AP1 equipped card.

AP1 displays own + left + right lane traffic, depicts cars, motorcycles and trucks (in some cases) and evidently also peds.

Someday, we too will have this on AP2. And "enhancements".....

• Informative x 1
  7. FlyingCookie

FlyingCookie Member

I don't want to say with 100% certainty that AEB actually did work, as I did get my foot onto the pedal pretty fast... FCW definitely did work, though. I was doing about 55MPH towards a car doing under 20MPH, so there wasn't a huge speed difference, but i felt like the car was stopping before I got to the brake.

It was also an extended testdrive loaner I had been in for less than 2 hours at that point, so regen kicking in MAY have just felt a lot harsher in the moment.

This makes me feel more like I may not have actually seen AEB work..

8. Carspotter Daily

8.1 - AP1

9. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

My AP1 car almost always comes to a full stop behind a fully stopped car. This is from speeds from 70 to zero.

So i don't see why some of you have been complaining about AP1 not detecting stopped cars

10. timvracer

timvracer Member

Umm... this demo shows the car in AutoPilot, we know that the car will break for obstacles in AutoPilot or TACC. I always considered AEB to be the notion that when in normal driving mode, the car will emergency brake for a situation in front. This is what many other production cars do (without cruise being on, etc.)

Or do I have something confused?

11. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

That's my understanding as well .

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Look at the IC, it states "Emergency Braking In Progress". I've had AEB happen once, and got the same message.
    This is definitely AEB (even though the car was in AP), if it were AP braking, it would be more gradual not slamming on the brakes like AEB does.

13. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

OP, if I were the kid jumping out in front of the car to do the experiment, I would have *sugar* myself.

14. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

"Almost always" is kind of the key there…. It's still a situation you need to be vigilant of. Per the NHTSA report on the AP1 fatality, recognition of stopped cars was done by MobileEye, and through training the vision model with a few thousand reference images of stopped cars. They further added that the system did not recognize things that didn't look like the rear end of cars, such as sideways stopped cars.

FWIW I do agree that it works like 99.99% of the time, while the competitions' ACC systems work like 75% or less of the time encountering stopped cars. But still, that other .01% of the time has happened to me (more often before 8.0), and it was pretty frightening.

15. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Agreed.

What is the fatality you are referring to? Not the Joshua Brown case I presume

16. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Indeed the Joshua Brown case…. NHTSA's full report on Tesla's 2016 fatal Autopilot crash | Tesla Model S

Take a look at section "2.3" regarding AEB in particular (lifted a few quotes):

It's nothing more than a machine learning model trained on a corpus of car rear ends. It will mostly work, but it's not a robust solution involving watching motion flow from frame to frame and understanding continuity of the road.

17. Carspotter Daily

As Max* stated above, it's AEB. AutoPilot and TACC will normally slow down for objects if they are a safe distance away - i actually have a video on that as well.. But if a vehicle or pedestrian steps into the path of the car and the driver doesn't react, the car will (in most cases) even if AutoPilot and TACC are off.

18. Kanting

Kanting Member

#18 Kanting, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Mine does too! So bad the discs become rarely used and rot.