Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Standard 9V Battery vs Model 3 Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking forward to a video if it works .... Please?

Sure, I'll do my best. It's supposed to get wrapped this week. (When I noticed it was dead ten days ago, I was trying to get in the car to bring it to be wrapped... so wish me luck.) I have a whole bunch of supplies coming for further testing... and I intend to do some video comparisons between the Model 3 and the P85D. Size, screen, storage space, acceleration, and the like.

Sure, I'll do my best. It's supposed to get wrapped this week. (When I noticed it was dead ten days ago, I was trying to get in the car to bring it to be wrapped... so wish me luck.) I have a whole bunch of supplies coming for further testing... and I intend to do some video comparisons between the Model 3 and the P85D. Size, screen, storage space, acceleration, and the like.

Any update? Did the A23s work? And what color is your wrap? :)

According to the owner's manual which I am reading cover to cover in preparation for our Model 3 any day now, it states on page 15 that if the car's onboard 12v battery has power applying power to the external wires will not open frunk. Did you disconnect the onboard battery to do this demonstration? You are very brave or something else to experimenting with a brand new Model 3.

9V battery you buy from a gas station - one of the last ways EV owner might want to visit a gas station:)

You want to open the frunk with external power source because 12V battery is dead. Just opening the frunk doesn't fix the problem.
And the problem is: you can't drive the car.
Opening the frunk allows access to the 12 volt battery which can be charged (I would disconnect before charging) or replaced.

According to the owner's manual which I am reading cover to cover in preparation for our Model 3 any day now, it states on page 15 that if the car's onboard 12v battery has power applying power to the external wires will not open frunk. Did you disconnect the onboard battery to do this demonstration? You are very brave or something else to experimenting with a brand new Model 3.
The manual is flat out incorrect.

Mark mentioned that he was checking first with a multi-meter to make sure he wasn't going fry something/himself.

It's low voltage, you can plug in 3.x, 9.x 12.x volt batteries all over the place with no lasting effects. Worst case you might have to reboot the car.
Probably so. I remember little 9 volt devices you could plug in cig lighter when changing main battery on ICE cars to preserve radio presets. I'm just very cautious. I have a chademo adapter but hesitant to try it on our new Model 3 until Tesla gives the official ok for the Model 3.
to try it.

The manual is flat out incorrect.

Mark mentioned that he was checking first with a multi-meter to make sure he wasn't going fry something/himself.
And how do you know "manual is flat out incorrect"? Certainly sounds like a good idea to prevent someone from opening the frunk except when 12 volt battery dead. Maybe this was a new update that this person's car does not have yet.

Reactions: navguy12
And how do you know "manual is flat out incorrect"?
Because the actual behavior doesn't match the manual's description. *shrug*

EDIT: Ironically in another thread here there's someone who's battery is dead and the alternative frunk opening technique did NOT work. Not with a 9v battery or with a proper prescribed 12V jumping.

more data: dead 12V (apparently) and frunk doesn't open:

Not even a week after getting my Model 3 back after the drive unit failed...

I'm stuck here at work and can't get in my car. Can't even open the frunk - tried with a 9v and two different sets of jumper cables on a 12v car battery.

I really love my car and Tesla but this is getting tiresome :mad:

Reactions: ℬête Noire
From the Model 3 manual:

Opening with No Power

In the unlikely event that Model 3 has no 12V power, you will be unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen or mobile app. To open the front trunk in this situation:

Note: The following steps will not open the front trunk if Model 3 has 12V power.

Obviously, something like this is not supposed to happen, because it provides access to a thief. So it may work now, but perhaps not after the first service visit!

From the Model 3 manual:

Opening with No Power

In the unlikely event that Model 3 has no 12V power, you will be unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen or mobile app. To open the front trunk in this situation:

Note: The following steps will not open the front trunk if Model 3 has 12V power.

Obviously, something like this is not supposed to happen, because it provides access to a thief. So it may work now, but perhaps not after the first service visit!
It was after Mark had his vehicle in for 5(?) days servicing, for what turned out to be a software failure to keep charge on the 12V system, that he did that testing. Maybe something has been disconnected that shouldn't but otherwise this appears to be the way it was built, the description of the manual notwithstanding. *shrug*

Reactions: MarkS22
From the Model 3 manual:

Opening with No Power

Yes, I'm aware this behavior is not consistent with the manual. I reported it to Tesla engineering immediately and they responded. This behavior worked immediately after the latest firmware and a service visit (which was documented in another thread where my 12V battery lost power).

Last edited:
And how do you know "manual is flat out incorrect"? Certainly sounds like a good idea to prevent someone from opening the frunk except when 12 volt battery dead. Maybe this was a new update that this person's car does not have yet.

The manual is indeed inconsistent with what I'm seeing. I had the latest firmware. In fact, while correcting the 12V battery issue I had, I was one of the first to receive 2018.4.8 on February 19th. (The fix for my issue was firmware, as opposed to hardware-related.)

During this demonstration, the car's main 12V battery is not disconnected and it's fully functional... yet the frunk can still be opened by 9V or 12V batteries. I have reported this to Tesla and I suspect it will be fixed in future revisions.

EDIT: Ironically in another thread here there's someone who's battery is dead and the alternative frunk opening technique did NOT work. Not with a 9v battery or with a proper prescribed 12V jumping.

This is me.

So I tried with a 9V, two separate jumper cables on two separate car 12V batteries. Nothing worked. The tow driver tried his jump pack, nope.

It gets to Tesla service and they pop it right open??

Maybe my battery wasn’t dead enough??? It certainly was dead enough to leave the car and app unresponsive. o_O