Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Sentry and Dashcam footage on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just like you pull down to refresh you can pull up to load more once you hit the bottom. It does this to avoid loading everything at once. Maybe I can change the up to say "pull up for 33 more"

Any kind of visual indication that there are more would be an improvement. As with the videos, if you could pre-generate small thumbnails so "loading everything at once" is not such a big task would also help. Or, frankly, just a calendar and time browser would work as well.

Reactions: hydro 481
Hopefully some help / ideas here.

I downloaded the app and my phone says accessory requires too much power. I contacted the developer and asked what EXACT hardware the app was developed around. He said "The official Apple adaptor:,Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader". I have the Apple adapter but still get the "too much power" message. I assume there are certain USB to micro SD / micro SD card combinations that will use less power but can't get the developer to share the exact brand /models so i can get it working. Does anyone have a working combination that is not using additional power?

Roadie,

Just received my Roadie yesterday and installed it. As mentioned in this forum, the playback is relatively slow. You answered this by suggesting logging into my home network to speed things up.

I try to be security conscious with any device that I allow access through my router (and I have quite a few of them). First question: how does Roadie keep my router information secure? Second question: is any of that info available to you as the developer (in other words, can you or anyone else access my network through Roadie because I gave Roadie my credentials)?

Thanks for what looks like a great product.

Roadie,
Interesting device.
I have asked these questions three times now. Did I some how offend you that you decline to answer these product questions?
Are these unreasonable product questions

Can you share a little more info please. Watching the video and the content on the web don't explain in your FAQ.
Mind you, I am not being critical, just want to understand more of your product before I bought one.

1. To access the video's when away from your home WiFi, we can connect directly to the Roadie in the car?
2. Once home the Roadie can connect directly to home WiFi and be seen on the smartphone also on home WiFi?
3. Car must be on to view Roadie video. That means can only view Roadie videos on home WiFi when car is on?
4. Can only view Roadie videos on computer at home on home WiFi when car/Roadie is on?
5. How about a version of Roadie that uses separate USB power input so power from OBD port can feed Roadie to keep it on - longer, such as at home?
6. Tested on MCU1 model S/X? Result?

Anyone else wondering?

After getting a Model 3 about a month ago I decided to make an app so I could view my Sentry Incidents and TeslaCam footage on my phone. It uses iOS 13's support for reading USB drives. You can download it here: ‎Dash View for Tesla Cars. You can just plug in your drive, and then view your footage right on your phone.

It has extremely smooth playback up to 4x speed and the ability to export composite videos of whichever cameras you want to export. You can also export fun time lapses. You can also jump straight to around the moment your Tesla detected the Sentry Incident.

You can use any USB drive with an appropriate adaptor. For SD cards, you can use Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader — Apple, and for USB drives you can use Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. Apple has a restriction on the power output for iPhones, so for some USB drives you may have to plug the adaptor into power.

I'm open to suggestions for further improvement - let me know if there are any features that you would want me to add.

Can’t this simply be done by plugging the USB drive into a lightning adapter and then accessing the recordings through the native Files app?

Can’t this simply be done by plugging the USB drive into a lightning adapter and then accessing the recordings through the native Files app?
Or easier yet; get a Roadie and never have to unplug anything - just pull it up on your phone

(Okay, so I have to unplug the flash drive that I currently use to plug in the Roadie, but after that, no more unplugging)

Do you find value in the extra $$ for the device? My current setup costed about $30.
Admittedly, I have not yet installed it - it just came in yesterday. But I can absolutely guarantee that if I can whip out my phone and just look at the footage to CHECK if there is anything to worry about, there is an advantage:
  1. Have to unplug to check: not gonna happen
  2. Being able to open the app and check: gonna happen

I'm working on support for iXpand. If you send me your Apple ID email I can add you to the beta.
I'm working on support for iXpand. If you send me your Apple ID email I can add you to the beta.

I apologize if you’ve already answered but someone above asked if the app supports the Samsung T5. Can you confirm? I think you’ll find a lot of people are using this particular card.

Admittedly, I have not yet installed it - it just came in yesterday. But I can absolutely guarantee that if I can whip out my phone and just look at the footage to CHECK if there is anything to worry about, there is an advantage:
  1. Have to unplug to check: not gonna happen
  2. Being able to open the app and check: gonna happen

Please update on if there's any buffering.

I read some users complaining it took some time to load the videos, even on a strong wi-fi connection.

Definitely, my app uses the new iOS 13 APIs that the Files app uses. The idea of my app though is that it makes it easier to view the footage - all cameras play together and you can scroll through your Sentry Events - in most cases you don't need to even watch them to see what happened as it automatically picks a thumbnail of the cause using AI.

Reactions: jfinephilly