Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 here!

I love this specific contribution - as well as Tesla's allowance of this innovation. Kudos to the contributors. Of course the part of me that is slightly annoyed by a center console taken up to two roughly identical maps (nav and this browser/incident map) makes we want for another button like the traffic and satellite buttons on the nav screen allowing Waze incident reporting. Since Google bought Waze, I would think this would be easy to do. Until then, I'll be driving around with 2 maps on my console...

I'm all for Waze integration as well and went as far as bringing up this request when meeting Jerome G. in Amsterdam. (Of course he signed my Model S sun visor.)
He sort of nodded in response and replied 'I hear you. We hear you'. Later that night he publicly mentioned the need to improve the sat nav. He really disliked seeing Amsterdam Taxi's sticking TomToms next to the 17" screens. That clearly is not the message Tesla Motors wants to communicate to prospected buyers.

This was before the 6.2 'range anxiety is over' thing, so I fear Jerome was promised more than delivered, just like all of us. I still have some hope that some day Tesla Motors will make the right move and integrate Waze.

I obviously have no inside knowledge of what is hidden in the electronics of the car, but in this day and age I'd be surprised if they were using an old chip set that supports 3G only. Like virtually every cell phone offered for sale today, I suspect the firmware determines what mode the cellular data works on and that it's been limited to 3G. That could be to reduce the amount of data being used - even though it might be considered wasteful of bandwidth. Or it could ensure greater robustness and range going from cell tower to cell tower.

I wouldn't be shocked if we are given choices as to data options once the included service period expires. But who knows... they might have decided to save $10 on a $100,000 car by going for older technology... but that just doesn't seem like Tesla's style.