Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update.

With all the commotion over supercharger lines in CA during the holiday break, I thought it would be a natural fit to add
automatic supercharger tracking to the web service. You'll know that you've been detected at a supercharger if an additional button pops up
asking if you want to add additional info about the supercharger queue depth.

Hope you guys find it useful. Note that it only saves supercharger "hits" and otherwise no other data is retained. It also uses a session cookie to avoid duplicate counting.

Under the "report charger queue" I think you need an option for zero. I was playing with it and picked 1 but now I can't clear it. The SpC now shows 1 car present and 1.0 waiting. Speaking of which, fractional cars waiting is probably unnecessary. Nice feature though, I like the idea and hope people use it.

The only way to get accurate representation is if Tesla does it. Only Tesla has the data. And even then it would only be accurate at the specific point in time you look at it. Because you don't know how many cars are traveling to the Supercharger, or how long they're going to charge. Both of these numbers can be estimated with decent precision, but you will never get a perfect answer until all cars are autonomous.
For the life of me I cannot figure out why Tesla does not provide this today.

No. The OP who wrote the Waze plugin for Tesla, has your car location based on it's GPS. If your car is located within X feet from a Supercharger, the icon pops up and you can tell the SpC how many cars are there. Then the next person can see how many cars are there.

The OP's implementation is not real time, and dependent on crowd sourced data (OP, please correct me if I'm wrong)

I didn't allude to anything, I think you misunderstood what the OP said.

The only way to get accurate representation is if Tesla does it. Only Tesla has the data. And even then it would only be accurate at the specific point in time you look at it. Because you don't know how many cars are traveling to the Supercharger, or how long they're going to charge. Both of these numbers can be estimated with decent precision, but you will never get a perfect answer until all cars are autonomous.

Mostly correct. However the implementation is realtime. To clarify, there are 2 pieces of information the website now tracks:

1) It passively tracks Teslas using the web app as they pass through supercharger sites. This translates into a tailing 1hr summary of Tesla presence that can be seen from the web app.

2) It offers the option for Teslas using the web app to volunteer information on the wait time in terms of queue length (How many Teslas are waiting for a charge). This is reported separately from 1) as a trailing 1hr average of the reports.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this meant to work in the UK?
I have no success on my Telsa browser here :(

It should work. At least the Waze data for the UK/London area appears load correctly.
The Tesla browser can be horrendously slow. Try to reload the website a couple times.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe we need a time and date stamp also on the reports, or have them time out after 30 minutes.

The reports are based on the latest 1hr window of data.

really tried very hard and no success at all - even on wifi :(

it does work on the PC at home though so is not a server issue - is almost like Tesla have locked this site out in the UK.

Interesting. Can you tell what part isn't loading? Tesla sends all web traffic through a central proxy so it's possible things are getting stuck there. Here in the US I've had it hang on loading the map tiles a few times.

never get anything displayed at all in the car, black screen until timeout then revert to previous webpage.
wish I could provide more info - sorry - but doesnt seem much I can offer to help you debug.

edit:
one possibility if you could make a temporary basic html page under the domain, then at least if I can browse to that we can eliminate domain related issues.
thanks.

never get anything displayed at all in the car, black screen until timeout then revert to previous webpage.
wish I could provide more info - sorry - but doesnt seem much I can offer to help you debug.

edit:
one possibility if you could make a temporary basic html page under the domain, then at least if I can browse to that we can eliminate domain related issues.
thanks.
Ok, i put up a test page. Try this:

http://tesla-waze.excelsis.com/test.html

Ok, i put up a test page. Try this:

http://tesla-waze.excelsis.com/test.html

Doh - I just realized I have been typing in tesla~waze.excelsis.com not tesla-waze.excelsis.com
when spelled correctly all is fine.

(the "tilde" symbol is next to the + symbol on the uk keyboard, which I had misinterpreted as the "-" symbol)

Thankyou so much for your help, and as everyone else here many, many thanks for a great extra feature.

Just an update.

With all the commotion over supercharger lines in CA during the holiday break, I thought it would be a natural fit to add
automatic supercharger tracking to the web service. You'll know that you've been detected at a supercharger if an additional button pops up
asking if you want to add additional info about the supercharger queue depth.

Hope you guys find it useful. Note that it only saves supercharger "hits" and otherwise no other data is retained. It also uses a session cookie to avoid duplicate counting.

Waze for Tesla Incidents

View attachment 108044

Thank you for the additional functionality to the Waze Browser page. In my limited experience it seems to work very well.

I appreciate the updates made to the Waze For Tesla Incidents page. Too many of the other "utility" or "novelty" pages I've bookmarked in the car seem to be frozen in time. (And that time apparently was pre 7.0 :) )

I usually have this page loaded full time while driving.
Only complaint is not being able to turn off a Hover info except by either opening a different one or Refreshing the page.

I'm sorry, but I might be missing something. What is supposed to happen? On my iPad I get a white screen, when I try the test url, it says "it works" on my iPad, in the car it keeps telling to try reloading the page and times out. Am I supposed to basicly get Waze, working on my tesla, and it will actually show the car on the map the same way it does on my phone?

from what I've read, that is kind of what I expect, but so far, no connection in Southern California.

I love the queue reporting on the site. I used it over the weekend on a ~1000 mile trip to Northern California. I reported a queue at Vacaville, but only one car, and he waited only several minutes. I found it un-useful for planning purposes as I was unable to zoom out or scroll down to see the status of Superchargers a long distance away. Only about 100 miles from my present position was visible, or am I doing something wrong?

I'm sorry, but I might be missing something. What is supposed to happen? On my iPad I get a white screen, when I try the test url, it says "it works" on my iPad, in the car it keeps telling to try reloading the page and times out. Am I supposed to basicly get Waze, working on my tesla, and it will actually show the car on the map the same way it does on my phone?

from what I've read, that is kind of what I expect, but so far, no connection in Southern California.

You should see it asking permissions for your location. You have to allow this or else it doesn't know where to center the map.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the queue reporting on the site. I used it over the weekend on a ~1000 mile trip to Northern California. I reported a queue at Vacaville, but only one car, and he waited only several minutes. I found it un-useful for planning purposes as I was unable to zoom out or scroll down to see the status of Superchargers a long distance away. Only about 100 miles from my present position was visible, or am I doing something wrong?

Are you zooming out all the way? The zoom out is a little limited to avoid overloading the map with incidents, but you should be able to zoom out about 2 levels from the default. From there, it's possible to touch-drag the map, although this is admittedly sluggish.

You should see it asking permissions for your location. You have to allow this or else it doesn't know where to center the map.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you zooming out all the way? The zoom out is a little limited to avoid overloading the map with incidents, but you should be able to zoom out about 2 levels from the default. From there, it's possible to touch-drag the map, although this is admittedly sluggish.

Would not allow me to drag the map..... Tried for about 15 minutes while driving. Perhaps low coverage area. I'll try it again. How about a summary page for supercharger status????