Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that sucks. Maybe they'll work with you and change how it's done down the road. I would really miss VisibleTesla; it's a fundamental part of my Tesla experience.

No matter what happens, thank you, Joe for all the hard work that you put into it. Pet project or not; it is a great tool that is appreciated!

Last edited:
I presume the throttling would occur mostly with data acquisition during driving? I could live without that, but I would really miss the scheduling features (warm up the S in the morning before leaving for work, scheduling full charge etc) and notifications (not plugged in in the evening etc). I'm hoping that for those features the server request rate could be reduced in order to avoid throttling.

I hope that this can be implemented as a temporary solution until a better API emerges.

As always, thanks so much for all your work on this, Joe!

Thanks for working on this. It was and still is a great resource for those that can still use it.

I second this. I find VT invaluable. I told my buddy who just picked up his Tesla last week about it, and he enjoys it as well.

Given a proper API for public consumption, I suspect that there are lots of 3rd party apps/services that would be a boon for the owner. I'd hope Tesla would work towards this, as it would seem to be in a similar vein to their stating that 3rd party apps would eventually be available for the car console.

Perhaps a petition is in order...

Wow, what a bummer. This was a huge feature that I loved about the Tesla. And it's not like they're in the dark about how popular this is: Joe presented at TMC Connect same as Diarmuid O'Connell of Tesla. Hell, I'd chip in to fund better servers if that's what they need to make this all work. It's sad that in a lot of ways we seem to be seeing no improvement on or losing features this year rather than gaining them.

Will the export be able to export to CSV format in addition to Excel? I'm unable to do a complete export using my 20MB stats file, hence why i'm parsing it on my own.

I had the same problem. It seems the file is corrupted in a way that prevents VT from doing a proper export. So the following Perl will convert the file to something more readable.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

while (<STDIN>) {
   $_ =~ /^(\d+)(.*)/;
   my ($ts, $rest) = ($1, $2);

while ($rest =~ /(\S+)\s+(\S+)/g) {
       my ($key, $val) = ($1, $2);
       print "$ts,$key,$val\n";
   }
}
Put that file somewhere and call it tesla_stats.pl (or somesuch). You would launch that with something sorta like:

Code:
perl tesla_stats.pl < 5YJSA1DNXCFxxxxxx.stats.log > stats.csv

This will produce a CSV file with one type of data per line (e.g., C_EST or B_AMP or whatever the tag is), but the proper timestamp repeated on each line as needed. In my case, I then wrote some R to grab the data, but anything would work.

P

It would be very annoying for me if VT wouldn't work anymore, it's such a great tool, can't drive my Tesla without it.
Because it looks that mostly EU users are affected, I'm thinking about writing a letter to Elon like widow did for 3 phase charging for the Model S, signed by many Model S an Roadster owners
If it's about money for a better server access, send me a PM. I think, that the 3 owner clubs for DACH can do something about that.

Hi Joe and the group
VT 28.01 has been working flawless for me for quite some time. I run it 24/7 on a spare laptop from home.

I have it daydream during the day and go to sleep from 8 PM to 6 AM. I have the car set to save energy and to be connected all the time.

By the way, how can one tell if you are on the new or old Tesla servers? I thought everything was gone yesterday when Tesla had major server problems during the day.

Joe, let me echo the sentiment that losing VT would be a colossal bummer. Again, I have a huge appreciation for your talents and all the hard work you have put into this amazing software. Thank you.

Happy Holidays.

Michael

Dear,

I'm trying to login with VisibleTesla version 29 on Mac to connect to my European Model S with Autopilot hardware, but i got the error message "Login Failed". I'm sure of my login information as I use the iOS Tesla Official App without problem..

Anyone have the same issue?

Thank you,

Mat

Yes I have and some others on this forum. VT, Meluha.net and the Tesla Chrome plug-in are not working.

Briano