Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may make a pre-built version of the app available for download by non-developers, but only for those who understand the risks involved and want to experiment. It won't be available via VisibleTesla.com or autoupdate from the app due to the reasons described in my earlier post.

Assuming this pre-built version would allow access for someone like me, who just got a new P85D and never had access to Visible Tesla, let me say just how much I would appreciate this. I had been looking forward to using Visible Tesla for as long as I had been looking forward to getting my Tesla. Seriously. I knew about Visible Tesla before I made the decision to order the car. I was pretty disappointed when I realized I was unable to use Visible Tesla.

I do understand the risks of the throttling, and that it is possible that by using Visible Tesla my ability to use the Tesla mobile app could at times be limited. If there are other risks and you or someone else were to take the time to explain them once, I would certainly make sure to read and understand them.

Although I have not had the pleasure of using Visible Tesla myself, I certainly appreciate all the work you have put into it. If you do decide to release a build for non-developers, and that winds up being something that allows me and others in my situation to be able to use Visible Tesla, that would really be appreciated! Thanks either way!

3G arrived here a few months ago. Visible Tesla 0.28.01 works great on my Mac desktop.

Every MS owner should have this app running (or Tesla's app) from their home computer. Saves running out to the car in the cold to adjust charging! Should have set this up when we got 3G.

No need for a portable device, but might be worth a try on the iPod Touch.
--

Just downloaded 0.28.01 on a Mac running OS X 10.10.1 and failed to connect to anything. Said my username was incorrect but this is the same I use on my iOS app. I had never been able to connect to my MS with VisibleTesla - assume I will wait for the next rev due out soon.

Some tidbits from 0.50.00

Developers: 0.50.00 is now published on github. PLEASE be careful as so many things have changed including the data file formats. Please check the README.md file.

Here are some things that will be in the 0.50.00 developer release:

• Notify Tab
    • [User Request] Now lets you explicitly select one or more charge states for notification
    • [User Request] Now allows you to specify up to 4 Enter and 4 Exit geofencing areas [User request]
    • [User Request] Now can send events when a specified odometer reading has been reached [User request]
    • [User Request] Now can send a notification if you forget your doors unlocked [User request]
    • [User Request] Now can execute an arbitrary local command in response to any notification. Run a curl script or any other program when an event occurs
  • General
    • Can submit anonymous Charge and Vampire Loss data to facilitate charging studies
    • Can limit vampire loss data collection to a specific time range (like overnight)
    • More types of data available for export
    • [User Request] All values present in all rows of exported data, even if no reading for a given value was available at that time. In that case the previous reading is used. This makes it easier to process the Excel files. Inferred values are gray so you know where actual readings were taken.
    • No auto-refresh of tabs. You must press the refresh button. This is to help avoid getting on Tesla's bad side for over-use of their servers.
  • Trips
    • Can explicitly end a trip rather than having VisibleTesla figure it out
  • Graphs
    • Minor improvements to the visual display (you probably won't notice)
  • Overview
    • The software version button used to display the firmware revision (e.g. 2.2.92), it now displays the "user level" version (e.g. 6.1). The firmware version is still in the details box and will be displayed if VisibleTesla doesn't know about a particular firmware version.
  • Below the covers
    • Extensive changes to the codebase
    • New data storage format (more efficient, more powerful)
    • Tons of changes to try and deal with throttling by Tesla's servers
      • Some of the changes are to cope with failed requests due to throttling
      • Some are to help avoid throttling

Last edited:
[User Request] Now can send a notification if you forget your doors unlocked
Hey, it made it! My wife "helped out" by sticking my key in the cupholder when I left it with her while I ran into a shop the other day, resulting in my key sitting there for 24 hours. Fortunately no one took us up on the offer of a free Tesla. Really excited for this.

You're awesome. Thank you Joe for continuing to work on this.
Agreed, especially given the uncertainty right now. Still working to add features while all this is going on is pretty impressive. Hopefully you're on the short list when Tesla starts blessing external apps on their API.

If I remembered more Java I'd love to help out, but I'm afraid as-is I'd probably hurt more than help. Perhaps it's time to kick off the rust, though.

Joe:

As an average (non-developer) and happy VT user who is still on the old 'commercial' release, do I want to upgrade? Looks like I will get new features and also that it will play nice(r) with TM servers.

Many thanks for your continued work on this invaluable tool.

Hey folks,

I will build a 0.50.00 version and make it available for download, but not through the "official" channels at this point. I'll announce it here and provide a URL for manual download.

For those of you who are still working just fine on 0.28.01, I would suggest sticking with it as long as you can.

Joe

P.S. I'm having some difficulty with empty charge state readings coming back from Tesla which can lead to false notifications. I'm putting together a workaround.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I will build a 0.50.00 version and make it available for download, but not through the "official" channels at this point. I'll announce it here and provide a URL for manual download.

For those of you who are still working just fine on 0.28.01, I would suggest sticking with it as long as you can.

Joe

P.S. I'm having some difficulty with empty charge state readings coming back from Tesla which can lead to false notifications. I'm putting together a workaround.

Hi Joe,
I've been seeing the same on 0.28.0 on the old server. Just started recently.

I'm running VT 24/7 and it's been rock solid.

Michael

Adding my voice to the thundering crowd... Thanks for the wonderful app. I just upgraded to a P85D, and lost Visual Tesla (can no longer log in). I'm very much looking forward to a windows build of the alpha, beta, or whatever version of your latest, since anything will be better than the current nothing.

-Steve