Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision-only cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually early-mid July when the special builds that aren't getting updates started hitting, so a June car would probably have been on 2021.4.x and we have several cases of those getting main branch updates. The more I learn about the versions cars ship with from the factory and the verison they update to, the more I worry that it isn't just two groups of IC shortage cars (2021.3.x and 2021.11.x), but actually several. It seems that 2021.3.x builds actually were on most cars for a while and they would just get normal updates right after delivery (usually the same or next day) to one of the 2021.4.x versions. It isn't until the 2021.3.104 build that cars stopped getting updates. Note that a great many 2021.4.x cars also stopped getting updates after their first few and have been stuck in that branch for several weeks too.

The fact that the lower build numbers aren't even being updated to higher build numbers in the same branch makes it seem like they may all be incompatible with each other. For instance 2021.3.104 has been out for almost 10 weeks, but 2021.3.105, .106, .106.5, and .107 all have come out since then and none of those .104 cars has moved to any of the newer 2021.3.x builts.
Yes, it’s very strange that they aren’t even updating within their respective builds.

Reactions: CapinWinky
been trying that tactic for a week now…
My first attempt at a response…
Second…
Why do you guys keep making this about the vision only cars? That’s just a coincidence.
European cars still have the radar and we are equally affected and also stuck on the exact same version (2021.3.10x).

I think this is clearly about the IC shortage and different chips being used.

What I don’t understand is why Elon wouldn’t address this on Twitter (or elsewhere) as both the Tesla Reddit and this forum are getting flooded with confused owners still waiting for their first updates.
If they just explained what’s up and what the timeline for being merged with the main branch is, that would alread be very reassuring.

He's talking about the version your car started with. How do I see historical install data for my car?
No, I'm not. Their car probably started with .3.101.x or .3.102.x from the factory, but they then got updated to the .4.x branch. I'm literally saying that .3.104 and later have not gotten an update. We are all on the factory installed version and have been for months. Same story with the .11.x versions.

I recognize the .4.x branch got stuck for a while and is still held back in the .4.21.10 area, but they are at least getting some updates and have seen things like minimum follow distance move from 3 to 2. In fact, if you are on .4.21.3, you can actively look forward to getting the .4.21.10 update in the coming days. The .3.104 and later and all .11.x cars can't because there isn't an update actively being rolled out to any of us.

Why do you guys keep making this about the vision only cars? That’s just a coincidence.
European cars still have the radar and we are equally affected and also stuck on the exact same version (2021.3.10x).

What I don’t understand is why Elon wouldn’t address this on Twitter (or elsewhere) as both the Tesla Reddit and this forum are getting flooded with confused owners still waiting for their first updates.
If they just explained what’s up and what the timeline for being merged with the main branch is, that would alread be very reassuring.
The IC shortage cars are apparently a completely different version of the firmware 2021.3.x.x at least according to this thread.

Reactions: GOVA
No, I'm not. Their car probably started with .3.101.x or .3.102.x from the factory, but they then got updated to the .4.x branch. I'm literally saying that .3.104 and later have not gotten an update. We are all on the factory installed version and have been for months. Same story with the .11.x versions.

I recognize the .4.x branch got stuck for a while and is still held back in the .4.21.10 area, but they are at least getting some updates and have seen things like minimum follow distance move from 3 to 2. In fact, if you are on .4.21.3, you can actively look forward to getting the .4.21.10 update in the coming days. The .3.104 and later and all .11.x cars can't because there isn't an update actively being rolled out to any of us.
I’m on 2021.4.21.3 vin 195xxx I won’t hold my breath

Last edited:
992,xxx vin stuck on 2021.4.21.3

I thought there were FSD Beta people on newer firmware with build dates around our same time as well? Or, were their slightly older still radar cars forced into vision only and radar rendered useless on their update path and Beta release?

Even though your car has radar installed... the firmware probably isn't using it. Hence the "vision only" reference... so yours is included in that it's using "vision only" and no radar. Do you know for sure that your car is using radar? There are NA cars also stuck on the version your car is...

The link on the Tesla website talking about Transitioning To Tesla Vision does say vehicles built outside of NA will continue to use radar-assisted functions, but it also says "in the weeks ahead" they will start restoring missing and limited features and we haven't seen all of that.

I agree Tesla needs to be more transparent on this issue. Since we can all speculate as much as we want, but coming from the horses mouth would help solve this mystery.

Last edited:
My speculation is that the vision cars' software was originally branched from the "mainline" code of Tesla software into its own branch, then vision-only changes are made. Each time the mainline has some changes developed, Tesla either needs to merge those changes into the vision branch, or rebase the vision branch on top of the latest mainline branch (still a merge but in different direction). Either way, there will be code conflicts to be resolved, and extensive testing done to make sure the merge and conflict resolution are good. This extra work takes time.

For the long run, if Tesla indeed commits to vision-only cars, at some point in the future the vision branch will become the mainline, and the radar branch (old mainline) will start to require the extra time to merge and test. Let's see when this will happen.
Extensive testing? That's a new idea for them

Reactions: techlogik
what exactly did you tweet? the lack of updates on vision only vins?
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 12.25.18 PM.png

Reactions: queue and techlogik
I had 2021.4.21.3 on delivery and then got an update immediately for 2021.11.102

This had some extra streaming options in Canada but no Disney+

But of course my whole audio system wasn't working on delivery and ultimately my whole computer had to be replaced 1 week later so back to 4.21.3 with no updates pending. But looks like 2021.11.102 follows 2021.4.21.3 for Vision Only (mine was a Sept delivery).

For those concerned about FSD beta, not only are there plenty of Vision-only cars on that beta (including Dirty Tesla, a prolific YouTube tester), currently at 2021.24.16, but every radar car will have the radar disabled when running the stack. Those receiving access through the button will thus be among the first outside the original small testing group to have radar disabled, in fact.

3 drops of rain on the windshield and the car is trying to launch the wiper blades into orbit..

I am hopeful that we get moved up soon too.. maybe they are trying to consolidate all the vision cars on 2021.4.21.3 and then move to the current release.

You had me almost spitting out my coffee with the rain comment 🤣 It's sadly very true. My wipers spend more time on high when in Auto mode than they do at any other speed. I feel ridiculous driving around when it's doing anything but actually raining hard. I am one of those people whom I make fun of, you know the one, the cars with the wipers going crazy and it's barely raining. I've had numerous cars with rain-sensing wipers, own two others right now. I've never had this issue (also, all of them have allowed the driver to adjust the sensitivity, why not Tesla???). My car is on 2021.3.106.