Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vision only sucks ass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I started this thread, happy to say that vision only is almost there. The only issues that remain are 80 mph limit and the dangerous and illegal auto high beams.

No confidence in matrix headlights with the worst auto high beams ever implemented on a vehicle.

Autopilot is now two down on the right and one foreword on the left.
Auto Highbeams were always camera based. I think Auto Highbeams are satisfactory now, they were pretty bad a couple years back (when all cars had active radar). My friend even got pulled over for it. With new matrix headlights, things will get interesting for sure.

Now Auto Wipers is still a struggle but I don't have too much experience with that on Refresh S. Not expecting much change there. But the one or 2 times I was in the rain they did "ok". I've been fooled before that they worked better.

FSD beta notifies you that radar is being disabled when it is first installed. That said, when driving on dark, dark country roads (no streetlights, only your own lights), I very regularly get that the camera is obscured, until I get to a lighted area. The camera is not obscured, its just not capable of imaging usefully in the dark. Of course then this gets translated by the car as a system failure, and FSD beta is then disabled or degraded in some form. Not great… but that’s vision only. Radar can’t image to the side or back either, so this probably can’t be solved with that.

Tesla may need to use some of it's map data to predict winding curves in advance when it isn't visible - that's how I drive on roads that I've never been in the past, during the dark. My eyes are on nav screen 30% of the time to see what's ahead. I'm sure this is possible, although not sure if it is safe enough for them to implement yet.

Other than this, I am 99% satisfied with the current form of AP. It even handles cars aggressively cutting in front of me - I'm impressed how smoothly the car handles this.

I'm sure Tesla knew what they were doing when they went vision-only. Too much is at a stake to make wrong decisions.

I started using Chill mode few days ago, and this makes AP even smoother. Still plenty of highway passing power. So far, I like it. I may end up using this 70% of the time, and only go Normal if I am in a hurry (or I have some surplus testosterones on that day 😁).

As for the auto-high beam, it's not that good. Yesterday during the night, whenever I enable AP, it insists to switch to auto high-beam mode, and whenever I have a car in front of me (but far away), it goes high. I'm sure that will irritate that driver. So for now, I have to push the left stalk every time I turn on AP.

I'm sure Tesla can improve this, since 2016 X3 used to do this much better and more reliably.

Those are amazing programmers. They are polling hardware that doesn’t even exist. Pretty fancy stuff.

You can believe want ever you want.

Tesla tells new FSD Beta members their cars will use Pure Vision, axing radar altogether | TESLARATI

If you car came with radar and it’s broken, yes they are gonna fix it. And they don’t care if your on beta or not. Because you may opt out or get kicked out any time and the standard release software in cars with radar is still active.

All new Teslas have NO RADAR.

FSD Beta does not use Radar. “Vision Only” you receive a letter stating it.

Enabling Ignore. Ba bye.
Sorry fanboi, Radar is still used in radar-equipped Teslas with FSD during Early Collision Warning and for Automated Emergency Braking. It is also apparently still polled during other times in all vehicles, including those with FSD when the vehicle is not in FSD mode. This comes from two expert Tesla cose detectives on this site, including "Green" himself (aka verygreen).

It's just no longer used when *IN* FSD more.

Besides, why is Tesla "of course" repairing or replacing radar units in radar-equipped vehicles (as I pointed out they are) if they really served no purpose? Galaxy brain logic there, fanboi. 😉

Instead of enabling "ignore," you should DISable "ignorant,".... LOL.

Last edited:
Tesla may need to use some of it's map data to predict winding curves in advance when it isn't visible - that's how I drive on roads that I've never been in the past, during the dark. My eyes are on nav screen 30% of the time to see what's ahead. I'm sure this is possible, although not sure if it is safe enough for them to implement yet.

Other than this, I am 99% satisfied with the current form of AP. It even handles cars aggressively cutting in front of me - I'm impressed how smoothly the car handles this.

I'm sure Tesla knew what they were doing when they went vision-only. Too much is at a stake to make wrong decisions.

I started using Chill mode few days ago, and this makes AP even smoother. Still plenty of highway passing power. So far, I like it. I may end up using this 70% of the time, and only go Normal if I am in a hurry (or I have some surplus testosterones on that day 😁).

As for the auto-high beam, it's not that good. Yesterday during the night, whenever I enable AP, it insists to switch to auto high-beam mode, and whenever I have a car in front of me (but far away), it goes high. I'm sure that will irritate that driver. So for now, I have to push the left stalk every time I turn on AP.

I'm sure Tesla can improve this, since 2016 X3 used to do this much better and more reliably.
I always have Auto Highbeam on. It’s usually quite a distance out that it will come on.

On Auto Pilot. I don’t think Sport vs Chill is any different. It’s never that agressive in either mode.

I have my car in Chill 99% of the time.

Can you explain a little bit about how chill mode affects auto pilot? Sounds interesting. I will try it today on my way to kids’ soccer games.

It’s quite well known FSD Beta has no radar support. It was a specific release they dropped it and I think they warned you that it was gonna do that when you sign up, I forget. FSD Bets is “Vision Only” And eventually that will be the “trunk”. When, who knows. It would be silly to maintain both if “vision only” is good enough for FSD.

If they decide to keep Radar Active. You probably won’t get Full FSD or you won’t get updates. They are not gonna support FSD with Radar and FSD without.

I don’t know who Green is and I don’t care.

1000 miles and Vision only is running great. Can’t tell the difference from my Radar based car I traded. It’s running the best I’ve seen. It even prevented a possible accident when I wasn’t on AP or TACC. Very pleased with it.

Lol. Love when people debate fact with assumed theory. Please remove me from your legion of owners also, vision works perfectly in my car also.
Ummm....in FSD vehicles equipped with radar, the radar is still used for:

- Forward Collision Warning
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Is still polled under some circumstances with FSD is not enabled, even on FSD vehicles.

This is also confirmed by both @verygreen and @YieldFarmer who are deep in knowledge about what's in the decompiled Tesla firmware.

These are among the reasons Tesla continues to maintain and repair radar in radar-equipped vehicles. Otherwise, it makes zero sense.

You guys just don't know what you're talking about. It's that simple. If you don't believe me, ask them yourselves. And let's cut down on the fanboi nonsense, guys. Enough of this Elon is God cult nonsense.

Also, "vision only" is never really going to work, and Teslas will never be "fully self driving" on "vision only"...it's a sham.

Glad your experience (sample size = 1) is good. Legions of owners on here are posting to the contrary and tons of vetted, public reporting bears out their complaints.
I was referring to your FUDBoi comments of assumed crap. Don’t care about your crush on 2 other posters as god. You don’t know what your talking about but you keep repeating it to feel special. And calling someone a Fanboi in every thread makes you sound like your 8 years old.

Just came from a 960 km trip (round trip) where two third was one regional roads. On the way there, got two mild slow downs and on my way back, got one hard brake but it was caused by a car crossing my path turning left. He was far enough to not require a hard brake. The car showed the vehicle crossing my path so to me, it's just a matter of time before it's optimized for vehicles crossing our paths. As the time passed while driving, I completely forgot to prepare for a hard brake, even the one caused the car crossing my path surprised me lol.

• Informative
Reactions: sckor