Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command doesn't register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s what I have ascertained:

The voice commands work by processing your input locally, at first, and then by sending it to the cloud to a more capable engine. You can see how it first transcribes what you said, often times not quite correct, and then it fixes it after half a second or so. If the cloud connection fails, instead of just rolling with what it has, it does nothing (a rather puzzling implementation).

This should be an easy fix by their software team, however they may be tied by agreements with their voice recognition provider who, I bet, would very much like to collect all your voice input data for their own legit and totally-not-nefarious purposes.
I’ve been told by a Tesla technician they use google for voice services.

Never had it happen until the last couple of days with 50.6. It seems like something downloaded without announcing itself since the 50.6 firmware update. My windshield wiper behavior has changed (for the better).

Here’s what I have ascertained:

The voice commands work by processing your input locally, at first, and then by sending it to the cloud to a more capable engine. You can see how it first transcribes what you said, often times not quite correct, and then it fixes it after half a second or so. If the cloud connection fails, instead of just rolling with what it has, it does nothing (a rather puzzling implementation).

This should be an easy fix by their software team, however they may be tied by agreements with their voice recognition provider who, I bet, would very much like to collect all your voice input data for their own legit and totally-not-nefarious purposes.

That's not my issue though. Or at least not outwardly appearing.

Mine is that many times, it doesn't register I say text at all. I do get the "change after searching" thing where it figures out what you are saying and changes the text. Or did you mean that it won't display text at all until it sends it to the cloud?

That's not my issue though. Or at least not outwardly appearing.

Mine is that many times, it doesn't register I say text at all. I do get the "change after searching" thing where it figures out what you are saying and changes the text. Or did you mean that it won't display text at all until it sends it to the cloud?

I’ve experienced both types of behavior, with no action taken in response to my voice command. I know my microphone and bluetooth are working correctly.

Maybe what I described is just apparent behavior and it does send everything to the cloud. Again, puzzling implementation to just quit without any acknowledgement at all.